The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:03 am 

Let's say you have a horse that won't lead, and he balks or pulls. This horse knows when the treats are out (and acts perfect with them) and begins to balk or pull again, until you have more treats. Is pressure/release training alright in this case? I read on another thread that most people here don't do it with their horses.

Note: the balking and pulling is severe. This horse will balk for about 30 minutes-1 hour and he will drag you by so fast you feel like you're skiing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

In my interaction with my horses, I try to ask another question for setting the boundaries of what I do and don't do. Instead of asking about duty, I try to ask about ability. That is, whenever possible, I don't ask whether something is okay (as in "am I justified to do this?" or "do I have to do that?") but I try to conveive of a situation in terms of what I CAN do. Do I have the capability to be gentle? Is it possible for me to come up with clever solutions that motivate the horse? Am I interested enough in this friendship to make me want to invest the energy to listen? For me, seeing such situations as a chance to test and improve my capabilities is far more interesting. :f:

Usually, when horses balk and pull, this is not a sign of being very motivated, or finding the joint activity purposeful. Accordingly, that is something I can change. In terms of how to change it, there is a lot of info in this forum. But the question a person needs to answer before is whether he wants to. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:39 pm 

That's a wonderful way of thinking of it :) The next time I'm out with him, I'll look for good ways to motivate him! Thank you!
Romy wrote:
In my interaction with my horses, I try to ask another question for setting the boundaries of what I do and don't do. Instead of asking about duty, I try to ask about ability. That is, whenever possible, I don't ask whether something is okay (as in "am I justified to do this?" or "do I have to do that?") but I try to conveive of a situation in terms of what I CAN do. Do I have the capability to be gentle? Is it possible for me to come up with clever solutions that motivate the horse? Am I interested enough in this friendship to make me want to invest the energy to listen? For me, seeing such situations as a chance to test and improve my capabilities is far more interesting. :f:

Usually, when horses balk and pull, this is not a sign of being very motivated, or finding the joint activity purposeful. Accordingly, that is something I can change. In terms of how to change it, there is a lot of info in this forum. But the question a person needs to answer before is whether he wants to. :)