The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Strewing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:48 am 

Found a method on an unschooling blog, called strewing! What the parents will do is they'll scatter things on the ground they think their kid will enjoy. They use things like blocks, craft things (like gooey, fuzzy, or gummy things), interesting rocks, etc.

I thought: maybe we can apply this to horses, to encourage curiosity and exploration, and to discover new things they might like!

Some ideas I thought of: cones, water cartons, a box, a ball, something tasty (like a salt lick or apple), hula hoop, etc.! Or anything else you can think of.

Just lay your items of choice on the ground, and see what the horse does. Reward the exploration by petting or treats. Like if they lower their head, grab something, fumble it with their lips, nudge it, etc. And if they show no interest in the items strewn, that's okay!

Tell me what you think :)

Post subject: Re: Strewing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:22 pm 

Well, for my Panti who regards everything as his playtoys, this results very fast in a completely happy and overwhelmed horse who runs from toy to toy and gets wilder and more excited by the minute. :bounce: Though this is really cute :love: I try not to do this too often because we reach explosion point quite easily ;) Panti gets a lot of treats for exploring things and a cheering Jaz :cheer: which enhances this process quite a bit. Kinda like a child in the toystore that has been told that everything is his :funny:

Post subject: Re: Strewing
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:54 am 

Oh how cute! :D I wonder if my horses will react like that when I try strewing!
jaz wrote:
Well, for my Panti who regards everything as his playtoys, this results very fast in a completely happy and overwhelmed horse who runs from toy to toy and gets wilder and more excited by the minute. :bounce: Though this is really cute :love: I try not to do this too often because we reach explosion point quite easily ;) Panti gets a lot of treats for exploring things and a cheering Jaz :cheer: which enhances this process quite a bit. Kinda like a child in the toystore that has been told that everything is his :funny: