The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:05 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:45 pm 

You know, this completely amused me and it's been running through my head and it then just struck me that this is a wonderful exercise to try to imagine ourselves from the horse's standpoint.

What are they trying to teach us? And are we being mindful and aware enough that they can be people whisperers?

I'm going to put this idea into my toy box to pull out when I'm with them...

(And by the way, I have no doubt that Freckles has populated their forum with all SORTS of funny smileys...)
8)

xo
L.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Owen: "and then she stood there looking at me like :huh: :blonde:

Argh sometimes she is just so slow... :twisted: "

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:02 pm 

That IS funny to think about. Diego's biggest goal I think in the past 3 months has been teaching me and rewarding me with vocalization. He seems to believe that he needs to add a nicker to my "click" before I treat. The more he does it the more I realize he seems me shift my body and goes "Yes! That is what I want!" *nicker* Keep it going! *nicker*
They are his "clicks". :ieks:

:funny: :funny: :funny: too funny!

Although it is rather extraordinary to remember this was the horse who NEVER vocalized for humans, ever. He has only started in the past 5 months. :love:

I'm sure he would be a more reserved, cynical voice on the forums. With very strong opinions, and and really twisted sense of dry humor. :roll: ;) :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:53 am 

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know Freckles tries to ask me stuff. Mostly he tries to reciprocate what I ask from him ;) .

I have noticed that there is always a "purpose" behind his questions. He doesn't ask me to walk with him so that we can walk together (like I do) - he asks me to walk with him so we can GO THERE where something needs doing. I think we humans find satisfaction in just being able to get the response we want from the horse, for example we like to know that the horse will lead nicely with us. I think that, for the horse, this often does not make sense and they need to know that being nice on a lead will have a "functional" end-result like getting to a place or object.

Hmmm. This is a bit difficult to explain. I'm happy when Freckles gives me his foot when I ask. Freckles is happy when I give him my foot when he asks BECAUSE he can take my shoe and play with it. I see "getting the foot" as the result, but he sees "getting the shoe and playing with it" as the result. We both asked the same question. My "purpose" was to have him give me foot. His "purpose" was to have me give him my foot TO GET MY SHOE. I see value in getting his foot and he doesn't. He sees value in what can be done because of getting that foot.

Am I making any sense at all here?

Anyway, Freckles has developed cues/aids for:
Mom come to Freckles
pick up your foot
walk with me and explore/assess/move/remove this thing
"stop that"
"I won't and you can't make me"
"I'm gonna and you can't stop me"
pull that grass for me it's too far away
locate the fallen fruit that is not rotting yet
lower the branches of various trees for eating access
scratch various places
groom for hours and hours
re-fill the water because Rocket spat a mouthful of half-chewed grass in there - yuckt
give the hot horse a shower
open this gate
there's something strange over there - go check if it is safe
and of course "Mom, look at me! Admire me! Look what I can do!"

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:06 pm 

Quote:
I have noticed that there is always a "purpose" behind his questions. He doesn't ask me to walk with him so that we can walk together (like I do) - he asks me to walk with him so we can GO THERE where something needs doing. I think we humans find satisfaction in just being able to get the response we want from the horse, for example we like to know that the horse will lead nicely with us. I think that, for the horse, this often does not make sense and they need to know that being nice on a lead will have a "functional" end-result like getting to a place or object.

Hmmm. This is a bit difficult to explain. I'm happy when Freckles gives me his foot when I ask. Freckles is happy when I give him my foot when he asks BECAUSE he can take my shoe and play with it. I see "getting the foot" as the result, but he sees "getting the shoe and playing with it" as the result. We both asked the same question. My "purpose" was to have him give me foot. His "purpose" was to have me give him my foot TO GET MY SHOE. I see value in getting his foot and he doesn't. He sees value in what can be done because of getting that foot.

Am I making any sense at all here?

Oh, Glen, you're making perfect sense and this is a great insight! It had never occurred to me -- but wow, this is important.