The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:57 am 

Read this:

http://straightegyptians.com/barn/inter ... risbee.htm

Have you ever tried to teach your horse to fetch frisbee? I have seen that many horses like chasing games. Maybe it could be possible... now I'm starting this with our dogs. If we have any success, I'll maybe try with my horse :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:47 am 

Wow - that looked great!! Maybe I have to trie too??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:40 pm 

Wow :shock: I have just started clicker training and would like to teach Zeno to retrieve - I bought him a dogs rope toy, maybe I should have bought a frisbee?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:41 pm 

Wow...I don't know that too many horses would be so extreme about a toy! Very cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:43 am 

AWESOME! I'll have to try this with the horses, it looks really fun!

www.royalhorsecompany.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:23 am 

WOW that is so great! I only wish my horse would ever get that excited over a frisbee!

Melanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

:lol: Great!! I would be a bit afraid if I saw that open mouth in my direction :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:40 pm 

:lol: :lol: Yes Bianca
Gosh what a dream, such a playful horse....

Post subject: Frisbee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:57 pm 

Man I thought I was the only one to ever think about teaching a horse to play frisbee.They totally took my idea! I have been working on my Black Arabian to learn to catch a frisbee! Oh well. He would make a good canadiate! He has a play drive and is number one in the herd. He is always going after and biting my horse Dakota so I thought hum I bet he would make a good canadate to try and train him to catch a frisbee! I am glad though to see it can be done!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:28 am 

That is interesting, horselink16. How have you taught your horse to catch a frisbee? That is pretty neat! :)

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:36 pm 

Wow! Quite a set of teeth!!!

It sounds like in the description that the stallion DOESN'T??? like to bring it back??? That seems like the easy part (C/T), catching it seems like the hard part, for a horse???

Ayway, one way to begin to teach a puppy to catch is to start with rolling the frisbee on edge towards the pup so he learns the bite/grab the EDGE. Not sure if this would work with a horse, maybe with a larger frisbee?? After that step, you would move to gentle tosses, etc.

Would love to see videos of anyone attempting this, or at least training reports???!!!!

Thanks! Brenda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:21 pm 

Huh, thanks Brenda, I didn't know that about teaching a dog to catch the frisbee that way. I think I'm tempted to try that with Caspian today... :shock: :D

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:31 am 

Makana wrote:
Huh, thanks Brenda, I didn't know that about teaching a dog to catch the frisbee that way. I think I'm tempted to try that with Caspian today... :shock: :D

You go girl!!! Caspian does look like the frisbee type tho so you might get somewhere with it!!! He looks sooooo athletic and playful...love your new photo!!! Beautiful!

Brenda

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jack04574

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:18 am 

Well when i wrote it I just had an idea to see if I could teach a horse to actually do it. When I found NHE I wanted to leave the Domiance/Respect Training. I hated it as some as you know! I did get results but not the results that I wanted(relationship part and want to). Anyway on NHE that was when I read a post on Clicker Training and investigated it. I remember seeing something about it somewhere problaay a horse magazine but that was the extent of pursueing Clicker Training! Anyway while on YouTube I typed Clicker Training one Day and was just going through alot of Clicker Training Videos and saw YouTube user zakgeorge21 who is one of the TOP Frisbee trainers in the United States.
I was watching one of his videos and thought I wonder if I could teach my Stallion Pal to run and catch a Frisbee? I thought well horses can run, jump in the air, and open their mouth while running to bite a horse all the requirements to catch a Frisbee. I was sad to find out that it has already been done but happy to find out it can be done!
Anyway I am going to teach Pal to run and jump to catch a Frisbee!!! With the help of Clicker Training and YouTuber zakgeorge21 I know I will succeed! And Pal makes a great canadiate!
I already started by taking a Frisbee out there to show Pal the Frisbee and see what he would do and he was like "What's that"? And grabed it and chewed on it and when I came back a few days later he had broke it!. I did find a gel big frisbee for 5 us dollars though. So well see how it goes!
I post my attempts and add videos and pictures of my training sessions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:59 am 

Frisbee- wow, what a cool game. Certainly have to try to play. 8)