The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: new exercise in trot?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:41 pm 

Hello,

Today my horse was pretty clear to me, :yeah: (really the smiley explains it all, she was really excited wants to work work work). But she needs some exercises that are higher in energy so not something out of standing still, preferably some trotting exercises (since my ankles are still recovering from a nasty accident one year ago it's not really possible for me to do a lot of running with her). But something different then circling around me, which is what she does now just to free the energy but not what I'd really want to.

I'm mostly working on her getting to know and using her hindlegs. We do a lot of still exercises or walk exercises but she really asks for a trot and a gallop. She gets more relaxed when trotting, so it would be nice to add an exercise to our occasional trot...
We do a lot of slowing down in trot and faster in trot right now.

So anything? I think it's still a bit to early to get her into a piaff, so any preparation for the piaff like first preparations?

Thanks alot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

One of my favourite trot exercises with Titum is standstill-trot transistions. This might sound boring at first and that´s what Titum thinks too when we do this as an exercise, but he just LOVES it when we make a game out of it.

I stand still and count "one, two, three", changing my body posture at each number so that I am ready to race off full speed at three. After some trials he started turning this into a race and then developed a 'catch Romy' game from this. I stopped doing it after he had attacked me in January (not in relation to this exercise, but I didn´t want to encourage any chasing things then ;)), but as we have done quite some work on accepting personal space and emotion control since then, we should really start doing this again. So thanks for asking this question, otherwise I wouldn´t have thought of it. :)

Oh, and it´s not only fun but also a great way to develop collection, which I think is kind of a prerequisite for fast maneuvres like that. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:02 pm 

Piaffe can happen in a variety of ways, so I will explain what I did with Tam. It is certainly not the only way!

Tam began to offer Piaffe from Goat on a Mountain...now, it was not correct or pretty (he was all bunched up underneath himself and could hardly lift his hind feet), but it was an offer that was gladly accepted! So we began to play with ways to elicit it that would perhaps cause him naturally to offer it in a more balanced way (so he could also lift his hind feet) and I because it is developing, then I try to keep it moving forward slightly and click and reward only a few steps. I do not ask for many steps because it's tiring, and they get worse the more I ask for. All of the following is done on the ground.

1) Original way it happened was a Goat on a Mountain that I added "energy" to. That is, he was in a Goat with a nice upward stretch, in ramener, I bounced beside him and brought my whip up and down rythmically. He started only by moving a couple of marching steps with his front legs. I would reward all attempts, even if only ONE foot is involved. I can also tap lightly under his belly (which also helps to lift his back for some reason). Too much energy concerns him...so the energy from me has to be controlled and not explosive or harsh of course. Neither can it be too soft...I'm not sure how else to describe it other than to say it is strong but it is held within me and not really directed AT him...so he is invited, in a sense, to join me with HIS energy. In tapping under his belly, if tap too much, he no longer sees it as fun, but rather annoying, and would prefer to do something else.

2) Transitions...Another way I elicit is is to trot with him, then I see how slow we can trot...but I do not slow to a walk myself, rather, I use alternate rising one heel (mine, I mean) then the other and dance/march softly...I don't bounce a lot...so the action from me is more from my hips and knees and ankles, and again, I will raise and lower my whip in rhythm to my steps...I will also smooch to him with each step, the same sound I use to ask for trot. But because I am not moving forward much, neither does he and again, he will bunch himself up and give a few steps. I keep it moving forward or he will bring his hind legs so far under himself that he literally gets stuck there and cannot use his hind legs much (all his weight is on his haunches). In this method (how slow can you trot "with energy", I again only ask for a few steps and then I ask him to trot forward again (normal, forward trot) then I click and reward. This idea I got from Walter Zettl dvd's...he trains the horses slowly, a few steps, and then into a forward trot before they lose the impulsion. There is much magic to be found in transitions...between gaits and within gaits (faster to slower). The key is in only asking a few steps of each gait or speed of gait before a transition. So the transitions are quite rapid. So not can piaffe happen, but in that realm of transitions is where the passage and suspension lies!

3) Lateral work...if Tam is well balanced and we are working on shoulder in, he will sometimes offer it then (I think because he gets bored with shoulder in). I immediately reward although it messes up our shoulder in. But again, I wish to develop his desire to offer and so I reward whether I've asked for it or not, because it simply all helps toward his development and understanding of the piaffe. Some would say that I perhaps shouldn't reward Tam for offering Piaffe when I am asking for something else, but in this "horse driven" method (horse has a say in the exercises), I don't mind breaking conventional rules. Tam may in fact be avoiding shoulder in by offering Piaffe, and I may in fact be rewarding him for trying to escape an exercise...well, really...my response would be "so what?" ;) :funny: :funny: :funny: Tam MUST always have a say in what we do and for how long we should do it, so if he offers a "developing piaffe" when I am asking for Shoulder in, then he IS, in fact, stating his opinion, and I should listen to it. It may mean that I have asked for Shoulder in for too many steps, because he never, ever refuses to try and if he offers Piaffe, it is after I work on shoulder in for a little while. So it could just be his way of saying "enough, let's do something else".

I will have to check back in my diary to see if I remember the beginnings of Piaffe with Tam correctly!

It has gone differently with Cisco. He still cannot piaffe in place (and he flat out refuses to do it in hand), but under saddle he can passage better and better all the time. So with him, I simple play with stalling the passage...again, only a few steps then forward again and reward, reward, reward.

So these are just some ideas. But if you would like to play within transitions to see what develops, then just remember to keep the transitions short. Hmmmm...I have not explained that very well...say you want to do walk/trot transitions. Walk for many steps, trot for only three or four or six, then right back to walk. Walk many steps, then trot again for just a few.

In trot/trot transitions where you are changing speed or length of stride, then perhaps go for faster trot for several steps, then slow down for just a few, then faster for many steps. Does that make sense? Again, I do not know if that is absolutely correct, but that is what I do.

When incorporating canter into the transitions, if you make the canter the "few steps" (or in this case perhaps only ONE step) and walk the "many steps" you will begin to develop some really beautiful and soft canter departs which are more and more balanced and collected. So again...laterals build strength and transitions build magic! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:03 pm 

Romy, you and I were tying at the same time. Transititions are SO magical!!!! Should I say it again? :funny: :funny: :funny: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:22 pm 

Thank you!

Piaff seems like only one bridge to far, not many bridges :)

She actually offered piaff under saddle when I was making walk-trot transitions and shoulder in in a slow trot became a piaff we were both extremely amazed by.

So it's sort of the same with work in hand... I could have guessed that, just needed the confirmation I suppose.

Transitions are great :yes: First she didn't like the gallop, so she only galloped for one stride and I'd be almost too happy some might say (it was only one step) but now... it's hard to have her to stop. And her transitions grow better and her gallop more upwards. The transition halt to trot sounds great. I try it sometimes but I think I should reward way more 'cause she starts walking at first and then just a trot that speaks 'well... I'm not sure is this it? :huh: '.
So, maybe she just needs more confirmation also?

Very inspired, though everything seems easier while riding, it's more me that needs somewhat more training ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:00 am 

Instead of just trotting on a circle, shoulder-in on a circle. If you long line you may be able to get a leg yield with the nose to the outside of the circle. If you can hold your horse's tail while she trots sideways circles around you I would be seriously impressed :-)

Walk trot walk transitions in hand are nice because you only have to trot a step or two so running on your bad ankle not quite as big of an issue. If she knows Spanish walk you can try Spanish trot for those few steps.

Can you send her backwards away from you and then have her trot to you?

Teach her to fetch- higher energy and you just stand there?

Trotting on a figure 8. So send horse away and to the left, bring her back to you than send her away and to the right and back to you... to make a figure 8. It is nicer if you have somthing to send her around.

I know you mentioned the trot, but I also love canter walk canter on a circle. Especialy if it is only a few steps of canter. My horse gets so in tune to me when I work on this. i try to really get a nice stretch at the walk in between short active canter bursts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:06 pm 

Thank you Danee...

The spanish walk is something we have to work on in walk... but she so much loves to lift her legs (mostely for the back crunch...) so she does it as soon as she is standing on a halt... so we do a few steps stand still and she lifts a leg, i praise we walk a few steps. Will probably be able to do it in trot...

I'm not really sure I understand you when it comes to holding the tail in a shoulder in on a circle with longreining? :huh:
Quote:
Instead of just trotting on a circle, shoulder-in on a circle. If you long line you may be able to get a leg yield with the nose to the outside of the circle. If you can hold your horse's tail while she trots sideways circles around you I would be seriously impressed

Do you mean a travers/renvers (not sure.. this can't be the proper english term...) but it's an exercise where her head and tail are pointing towards the direction she's walking.
And with the holding the tail... hmm, I have an idea... should try longreining again (as soon as the riding arena is not too dusty to walk in).

Trotting towards me is very hard. I can send her back and she walks up to me. So now I started running small distances backwards so she follows me (she follows forwards, me backwards) in trot. So I can build up from there...
Feel very inspired again!