The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Spinal flexibility???
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:53 am 

OK, I've been thinking about GOTM, crunches, long and low, bending, etc and about how all these get horses to move in different ways. I was thinking about my own back how I used to try to move in many different ways to relieve tension, but I finally found the best way is to twist- so if my hips are pointing forwards my shoulders would swing to left or right. There are many other planes on which we can move- I can lean side to side, bending my ribs like how our horses bend. I can bend my back forwards or backwards brining my shoulders closer to my hips- horses do this too as their backs swing or as they collect, GOTM, etc.

But are horses even capable of a twisting motion?? If so the only way I can think of is getting them to do so would be to have them stand on something slightly raised with diagonal feet (ex: front left and hind right) while keeping their weight evenly distributed through all legs.

From observation I have only seen horses twist while doing really high bucks where they throw thehind feet super high and out to the side. Jumpers sometimes tilt, but I can't think if the whole body tilted, or just eh front, therefor causeing a twist??

I only ask because when I see people with back problems they always seem to move as if in an iron corset- they dont move contra laterally with thier hips and shoulders, yet it is this motion that frees the human spine. Could it be the same in our ponies???

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:40 pm 

No comments at all???? We just a got a 7 mo puppy and I watch how often she twists her spine. Obviously there are huge differences in canine and equine skeletons, but it still keeps me wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:55 pm 

I just saw this - very interesting thinking.

We just spent a session doing this (in a way) for Laska and he LOVED it!

We were rhythmically "rocking" him with our arms hugging his shoulders which causes his weight to shift alternately on the front feet and requires him to softly activate all his "balance" muscles in the back - particularly the tiny liitle muscles which support the verterbrae.

It is, according to the physio, very important to do it softly and WITH RHYTHM so he can "predict" the movement and start to sway with the handler.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:09 pm 

danee wrote:
No comments at all???? We just a got a 7 mo puppy and I watch how often she twists her spine. Obviously there are huge differences in canine and equine skeletons, but it still keeps me wondering.

Hi Danee,

Yes, there are huge differences and horses are pretty limited in their flexibility compared t dogs. It was the topic, and probably still is?, with our agility dogs and jumping. Many dogs can literally and regularly twist or swivel their pelvis/hips so their feet and legs are tucked sideways to clear a jump. And they can bend to make a turn in midair too!! My young BC could be standing sideways to a say 20 inch jump, and literally from a standstill tuck his feet and land on the other side! All due to overall flexibility? but mostly spinal I think??

A few pics:

An agility book called Jumping From A-Z compared dogs with horses, since the agility sport was using a lot of the horse jumping exercises and ideas! I don't have the book anymore tho...

Brenda

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:19 pm 

I add no comments because I don't know. I too have seen bucking horses twist. The most twisting I see is when a horse is rolling, but even then, it is minimal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:54 pm 

Sometimes you see a horse reaching round, with legs splayed, to scratch their own lutes/rump. Now that would mean a twist and stretch at the same time. Also when they are rolling they will twist in the spine to bring the shoulders over. We have a mare that rotates her head when she wants to beg a carrot, so there must be a rotational transcending down the spine, albeit a subtle one. Just thinking out loud!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Here is some intersting info:

http://nicholnl.wcp.muohio.edu/DingosBr ... bend1.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:29 pm 

I just lost my post-argh!

Anyways,..

I was experimenting with my own body and if I twist just my neck (look left and right) it does involve my back muscles.

Glen, what you describe is not an actual twist, but does sound interesting. Cna you explain our position to the horse? I'm not picturing the hug.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, horses can 'twist' in that they rotate their vertebrae around their own axis!

The really great thing is that they actually do that with every step they take: when a horse lifts his right hindleg, his right side of the pelvis sags down while the leg is in the air. The pelvis is twisted around it's axel, with the lowest point being the right half of the pelvis. The great thing is that this twist then is followd by all his vertebrae, up to his neck: as the right side of all the back-vertebrae sags down, the ribcage and belly are swung to the left, underneath the spine - clearing more space for that right hindfoot to grab forwards and to land.

You can exaggerate that twist actually by stepping under and the shoulder-in: as the horse is now not only stepping forwards with his right hindleg, but also more to the left underneath his navel, the right side of the pelvis is lowered even more in order to reach that spot, the belly and ribs swing even more to the left and with that they lift the left shoulderblade up: collection!

It's exactly what you do with your own body when you let your pelvis face forwards while rotating your shoulders in a horizontal plane. Only the horse starts the swing with the hips, not with the shoulders. I think your own stretch would also be even more intense if you don't just rotate your shoulders to the right, but at the same time rotate your pelvis to the left. That gets all the vertebrae going! 8)

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:02 am 

:D Danee,

Stand near the horse's head facing the horse so his head is at your shoulder (or over your shoulder depending on your relative heights) and then put your arms around the chest and hug the shoulders loosely. Then feel the horses heartbeat and try to synch yours with it. Then start to gently sway a few centimeters to each side in rhythm with the joint heartbeats ... maybe 2 beats to each sway?

The horse will have use all his "balance" muscles to do the sway with you, and it gets really effective after the horse "joins in" and sways with you rather than being swayed by you ...

Kind of like romantic slow dancing ... :twisted:

Hope that helps! Is it enough?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:22 pm 

Glen Grobler wrote:

Stand near the horse's head facing the horse so his head is at your shoulder (or over your shoulder depending on your relative heights) and then put your arms around the chest and hug the shoulders loosely. Then feel the horses heartbeat and try to synch yours with it. Then start to gently sway a few centimeters to each side in rhythm with the joint heartbeats ... maybe 2 beats to each sway?

The horse will have use all his "balance" muscles to do the sway with you, and it gets really effective after the horse "joins in" and sways with you rather than being swayed by you ...

I like that, Glen! Very cool!

I'm going to have to try this with my kids.

Thanks!
:)
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:11 pm 

Glen Grobler wrote:

My goodness. When I think of Laska and his kissing spine disease recovery I can't help but think this is fabulously rehabilitative and safe. And what a wonderful way to start a young horse.

Where DID you get this idea, Glen?

Donald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:01 pm 

:D
The physio I am paying to help him ....

Lovely woman - and REALLY knows her stuff.

Does something similar to mobilise the verterbrae up his neck but I can't get that right ...
:evil:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:10 pm 

Glen, wonderful desricption!