The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:40 pm 

Hey Michele:

Gosh, you've gotten a lot of great advice here!

I had one more thought, that was a pretty clear step that helped me start to see how lateral movement could get shaped into things like shoulder in...

You could start with the target just working to get her to walk around you in a volte (a fairly small circle).

So, if you want to get her turning around you to the left, for example, you could:

1. Hold the target in your left hand.
2. As she starts to follow the target, turn your body so you're turning backwards on yourself to the left.
3. Walk her around you so she's completed a full circle.

As you get comfortable with this, start to watch where she puts her head, how her neck bends, how her shoulders follow her neck, how she bends through her body, and then, lastly where her feet are landing.

The first thing you can work for is getting a nice round bend as she's circling around you.

A shoulder in basically is asking the horse to stay on this bend as she walks forward -- she stays curved as she walks forward.

I found this was really helpful to be able to see even before I began cueing her hind to cross under (which is another great step to work on the circle, even before you work for the shoulder in -- after you experiment with some of the cueing that Karen and others have suggested to start to get Chance to step under herself).

One of the GREAT things about beginning to explore this from the ground is that it's much easier to actually see the movement you're asking for. I rode lateral movements for a number of years before I did this from the ground and I understand what I'm going for so much more clearly being able to see it! (It's hard to see when you're riding -- you really have to go by feel alone!)

Another thing that helps me is to pretend I'm the horse! I've spent a fair amount of time walking in circles trying to get a sense of the directions my body would go if I'm doing lateral movement. :-)

Hope this helps!

Best,
Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:54 pm 

Leigh wrote:

One of the GREAT things about beginning to explore this from the ground is that it's much easier to actually see the movement you're asking for. I rode lateral movements for a number of years before I did this from the ground and I understand what I'm going for so much more clearly being able to see it! (It's hard to see when you're riding -- you really have to go by feel alone!)

Another thing that helps me is to pretend I'm the horse! I've spent a fair amount of time walking in circles trying to get a sense of the directions my body would go if I'm doing lateral movement. :-)

Hope this helps!

Best,
Leigh

Boy, what good visuals you create with words.

About being on the ground and able to watch the movement: Many years ago I got to ride in a mirrored riding hall.

Oh MY, did that spoil me. Now I'm plotting to collect mirrors and set them up along a fenceline so I can actually see what the horse is doing (and I too).

Everything changed when I viewed the horse and I in the mirrors in that riding hall.

Donald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:18 pm 

thanks EVERYONE for the awesome advice! I checked this before I left got the barn and tried it out! well she just had to much PLAY go NOW! lol So i think we are going to have to like brenda said find the off switch cause we arent getting anywhere with this.

Today was a lot of running and some riding to get that energy out but I KNOW tomorrow im gonna make sure we start some nice calm excersizes cause even on cross ties and stand still she leg lifts smiles backs up ect so before we do anything more i NEED to find her off switch..

I got some video so hopefully later ill make a video for everyone to see!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:17 pm 

Hey Michele:

Glad we could be helpful, and I just wanted to say that if Chance is really enjoying playing right now, it's not a bad thing!

If this is being a lot of fun for both of you, there's no particular hurry to get to other things...

(Not cast in stone, but just a reminder that going with what feels good is almost never a bad thing...)

:-)
Leigh

PS: Donald, I'm SO in envy of a hall of mirrors -- would SO love this!!! Someday....