The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:04 pm 

I thought to put this question that appeared to me in my "Daily training" here:

Ippa also starts grooming me back sometimes. Often he then grabs hold of a piece of my jacket or pants with his teeth. I am not sure does he know the difference between my clothes and my skin. Once he did pinch a bit through the pants.

After thinking it over I came to the conclusion to say "No" to his use of teeth and try to encourage to only use his lips, what he does sometimes already.

How do you handle this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:13 am 

Caspian will do this sometimes. What I've found to work quite well is move away the moment he uses teeth. Usually shifting my weight is enough to make him stop instantly, but if he's particularly "teethy," I can walk away entirely.

However, that hasn't stopped it completely, but it really makes him think... he'll lick and lick and nuzzle and think and think and after a really long time can't... quite... not use his teeth. :) But he is learning.

I think they can tell the difference between clothes and skin, and where one ends and the other begins, or at least, it seems that Caspian does. He's usually supremely careful not to bite my skin or hair, but will play with my clothes and pull at them occasionally. Actually, once he was playing with my hair, and ever so carefully, took my hair band in his teeth and pulled it off. Never getting a hair on my head! :D

(Then I was terrified he was going to swallow it and colic or something, but he spit it out. :roll:)

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:26 pm 

Hi Andrea,
We have three horses, two mares and one gelding. The mares groom me back all the time when I scratch their itchy spots, and they use their lips very gently. However, Blade, my gelding, can get a bit too enthusiastic :wink: and he uses his teeth. When I'm scratching Blade, and he starts to groom me back, I give him the chance to see if he will groom me gently with his lips. If he starts using his teeth, I just move out of his reach, without making him feel wrong.
When your horse is grooming you back, if he starts to use his teeth too much, you could also just stop grooming him for a few moments and then try again. Show him that you will only scratch him if he grooms you back gently. :wink:

www.royalhorsecompany.com