The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: help the hind quarters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:55 pm 

In the diary of Romy there was a point and question
which don't be discussed in a diary :wink: so i have made a new topic. Started after the question of Makana.

I wrote over there the following:

My horse have some nerve problems not very big, but i have make allowance for that.
So thats why i am always searching to new ideas to help him with his hindlegs.
I was reading the book of Linda Tellington Jones to improve his awareness of his legs and conect him more with the earth. Help him to relax or more activate him and just grooming.

There i saw also they are working with an elastic band around the horse. To help the horse in some special cases. So i was thinking how can i handle that in mine situation and training. Could it help us? And how?
So i had found some bandages which i had bought years ago for one "gulden" :wink: and did nothing with them. And now they get usefull.

I have always done "strange things" with my horse so he is not extremly scary. Sometimes afraid but always good to handle and relax him soon.
He knew working with long lines, so he knew what the feelings are when someting is going against his legs.
We do some turning games and so on, so that was easy.

I put the bandage around his forehand and one around his hind in the middle on his back i tie a knot.
so they have a contection. There is no preasure only a feeling. The bandage is elastic so it stretch with every step if necessary.

Then i start walking he was nice and relaxed, it was not uncomfortable for him. We walked only for the first time. And i saw enough.

The next time i used it again. First some play and training without the bandage so i could see how he was that day, how he was moving and using his body.
Then i put on the bandage as written as above.
And we started to play and train again.
I saw a realy big difference between with bandage and without. So i was happy to see that.

It was something what i could use without force my horse to collect a bit more.
Don't think that you will find a huge collection, but you will see some difference. You see your horse thinking and use his body in a different way.
That was what i am looking for. Tho i think that if you use it every day the effects will be lost. because it become normal.
But if you use it once in a while it can help a lot.

Makana asked also some pics
I have put them over here. Not realy the best one. My horse have some time off now, so i give them some food and put the bandage around him to make my story some clear. No working pics.
I hope i could help you this way Makana :wink:

www.bitloosrijden.nl/AND/bandage.jpg
www.bitloosrijden.nl/AND/bandage1.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:28 pm 

Hi Inge,

I have seen that wrap used on dogs, mostly for fear/confidence issues, cuz the tail and hind end seems to tighten up so, and it seems to free them up. It works somehow for relieving tension so I can't see how it could be bad for your ponies???

I have done some of what I call 'hind end awareness' with Lucy, mostly backing up over stuff, ramp, tire, poles, also hip targeting, mostly free shaping, focusing my click on only what she does with her hind legs and feet. Again, I think it helps with confidence, and I figure it can't hurt!!

Keep us posted!!

Brenda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:19 pm 

Thank you, inge! :) I may have to try that!

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:24 pm 

When I read this I remembered an old topic of Josepha and Owen using the bandages:

http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/viewtopic.php?t=395

Looks nice too.

I think I will try it also some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:46 am 

hey i missed that topic. But yes you can compare that as mine bandage.

Brenda
i do also the same things as you wrote. This is what i use too for doing something else. And this works perfect for us.