The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:53 pm 

Miriam wrote:

April wrote:
What I've been seeing is people going around and around, but there seems to be no exit to the next level.

I know you probably don't mean to, but this does not really seem fair. As long as I can't look through my computer into the paddocks of people and see how they train on a day to day basis, I will not tell them that they're not improving. Even when it's the case in my own yard with my own ponies, but there's not need to project that on others. Simply because there's no way that I can know!

I have never seen more people dedicated to personal growth and improvement, and to that of their horses, and to giving positive and really helpful feedback to others. Because that is also how we train our horses: we reward the things that are good, and in that way we give the horse the confidence and courage he needs in order to improve those good things even further, untill he is perfect in every way.

I agree with you that we should continue to work on prefecting collection. But in order to do that, we have to build on the things we're doing right already. That's what this forum is for, and when I look at what people do over here, it really seems to work!

No, I didn't mean that way. That we arent' growing, but what I do see is balance no true collection, yet. I do mean yet. I haven't seen horses sit back on their hunches., yet. what I do see is more and more balance, which isn't a bad thing. Balance has to come first. But there is something missing, at least that's what I feel. I do know collection takes time and to have our horses lift there chest is not an easy task, but I think we're missing something.

When I watch my horses play, they will lift their chest and shoulders and hold much longer than 2 steps or 4 steps and will continue to go back to collection while playing. What is it that I'm missing? What is it that my body needs to do to get the same response?

I understand that collection is a process it isn't something that just happens for many of us. This is what I'm meaning by no exit.

We are all on a journey an lucky for all of us, if we can keep talking through it and expressing our thoughts, I truly believe we will find the way.

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:00 am 

Bianca wrote:
Josepha wrote:
When horses do this it seems like they are to tired to really use their hinds correctly, or that is why Jamie does it, I feel pretty confident concluding.

Evita is not well trained and in this old picture she is been ridden the 5th time or so ever in her life ;)
She has not enough strength in the back to shift her weight to get the ultimate collection but I have also pics of her weight shifting to the back (the 15th time riding or so). Now she is in no shape as a mummy so we have a lot of training ahead even to be able to ride again for a few minutes let alone get a good collection.

to reply to Aprils post; what is collection in your point of view? If you mean really sit on the back you need to have in mind it takes many horses years of 6 times a week training to achieve this.
Because many here don't train their horses like these types of 'bodybuilders' maybe the collection is not so severe as dressage riders would achieve with many hours of training. At the Spanish Riding School horses are trained with piaffe and passage from age 10 to illustrate my opinion in this. So if you see the amount of time and weight people here train and compare it to sportsriders many are developing themselves with the speed of light!

Collection is when the hind quarters are taking up the weight. The front becomes light. Anything else, would have to be considered balanced. Am I wrong?

If that's not what we are trying to achieve then I guess we need to come up with a different word for it.

But collection is what it is, right? We just can't redifine this word to suit us, but we can define training suit us or come up with a different word so we are all on the same page. And right now, what I see is a lot of horses with balance. Again, not a bad word, this is great because without balance we won't be able to achieve collection.

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:02 am 

Josepha wrote:
Thank you Bianca! That adds up to my conclusion :)

@ April, this is exactly what I started this topic for. Interesting!
I think it is time that we define what we (AND founders) think is collection.

8)

Josepha wrote:
Of course that does not mean that every one has to agree.
It is only to make clear what we mean by collection so we can have no confusion :)

I have seen collection here, a few paces here and there ridden or not.

Well then, I guess I won't have to throw out 'collection' after all. 8)

Josepha wrote:

And did you not see a true and very collected levade last sunday from Owen, Miriam, or am I crazy?
:joker:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:11 am 

Collection does happen naturally for short periods of time, even if the hind end is weak but is possible. To me collection is where the hind end is lower than the forehand and the forehand is light, the back engaged, no hollowness, stomach engaged, hind legs flexing at hocks, not necessarily stepping to far under as that would put the horse out of balance. So collection takes time to get and others depending on circumstances can be instant. :lol:

Collection is also balance the horse is light in it's movement effortless. The nose can be infront of the vertical far preferable than being behind :wink: But the shoulders are higher than the croup cos the hind quarters have taken the weight and come under themselves, it is possible for the horse to be like this for a long time, if and when trained up to doing it.

I have experienced it on my gal but in the form of a levade, sat on her in one of her strops awhile ago, she does it nicely 8) But she has done it with me on the ground still training a cue to it and she really does sit on her quarters and they are under her, not for long but long enough. :D But I also know she does a good impression of collection, where her head is up and hind end stepping under, but if you look a little closer it is possible to see a hollow back, legs trailing and her weight is still on the forehand :roll:

By a horse lowering its hind end and bringing it underneath them correctly it does lighten and let the forehand rise and in turn so does the neck and head, so where you a horse currently has it's headset will be the right place even so it may look low, as long as the poll is the highest then when the horse has gained the ability to collect ( ok they have it but for us to utilize it :wink: )when the shoulders raise form the hind end engaged then the neck and poll will look higher than before. :blah: :phew:

Anyway a site that some may find interesting :arrow: http://www.philippekarl.com/24.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:20 am 

Miriam wrote:
Which forum was that?

About showing collection or not, is just don't think I agree, but I can understand that they didn't find it because our forum is just getting so big. But if you look at the videos, for example of Tamarack's first rides (especially number four), you already see a real collected trot. What about Lasuria and her videos, both riding and groundwork? And Titum shows collected canter steps (altough four-beat, which modern dressage riders see as fault but was preferred by classical teachers), and Opositor also shows great moments of not only collection, but also extension in the trot...
And in the picture section, what about the piaffe and terre a terre of Beau?

But I guess the problem with modern dressage riders looking over here, that with a lot of them their definition of 'collection' is having the horse in the same (collected) frame for long periods of time. While our horses use the collection according to the exercises and the movements, and collect more or less to do them. But you won't find a head in the same position for half an hour indeed. Sjors can do a great collected trot - for a couple of steps, after which he goes into another uncollected exercise. Does that mean that he isn't collected? Not if you ask me: he is just learning more and more about collection, and is slowly extending the exercises that collect him.
Another problem is that modern dressage riders don't always know the classical collected movements, and instead view them as erratical modern movements (the terre a terre or the four-beat canter for example isn't a canter gone wrong, they are seperate exercises).

Another thing to remember is, that just because we're on this forum, posting photo's and videos, doesn't mean that we're perfect. :D We're posting all that stuff exactly because we want advice and learn from the things others know and have experienced! So even if for example 80% of a video is uncollected - then it's not right to say that the horse doesn't collect. It's simply not true. The truth is that the horse is already starting to collect himself, and is learning to do it longer, better, higher etc. in the other exercises too. And his trainer just as well. :wink:

And like Josepha wrote and which is the most important thing about this forum: we're not trying to do modern dressage, achieving modern movements without bridles. Instead, our aim is to teach our horses their own, natural collection. And what is collection according to modern dressage riders? Most of them have very different ideas than classical masters (or modern classical dressage riders). Classical riders will say a horse isn't collected if the reincontact is tight, or if a horse triangulates in piaffe, or when he has bent his neck in the third vertebra. And all that is what you frequently see in the highest levels of modern (sports) dressage. Our natural collection might not be as flashy or exaggerated in movements, but is that bad for the horse? I don't think so, and rather think the opposite is the case.

I know a dressage instructor and she doesn't have the horses trained in a collection for 30 mins. There would be a warm-up and then within the hour lesson, the collection is only 10-15 min long. There are a lot of breaks. There is a lot of stretching that is being done. But, what she does is work from front to back, the reins...which isn't the route that I want to go.

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:51 am 
Site Admin

Dear April,

Thank you for you definition and explanation of collection.

I dare say though, I know what collection is in theory, rest assured.
After over 10 years of studying all old and new masters of the Classical Riding Art, one has a clear theoretic view, really.
I explain it to people every day, in my lessons, on my websites, in articles for magazines, in clinics, readings etc.

So for me; the theory, there can be no mistake about.

It is the practical collection were opinions seem to differ over and over.
And that is what I wanted to conclude here.
The image of what we think is collection.

The theory one can find through out the whole forum... for one.

You say you are missing something, well, aren't we always missing something?
That is called learning and I am afraid you will probably have that feeling untill your last day.
For everytime we find a piece of the puzzle, a new piece gets missing. It never ends :lol:

You say your horses collect freely, well then there you have it, they collect when they want to.
So you must make them proud, for proud horses collect (and can present you with other problems as I now know :lol: ).

When you ride, of course collection becomes much more difficult for balance is lost.
And balance is key to collection.
But of course you know that.
So it isn't about what you are missing, it is about the time and the right training you and your horse need in order to find the right balance and muscle power for collection.
The old masters have the answers for you.

Regards,

Josepha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:55 am 
Site Admin

About collection and shifting the weight back, there's an extremely interesting book out since a year of Philippe Karl (Die Irrwege des moderne dressur (or zomething like that 8) ), The faults of modern dressage).

He explains that collection isn't about shifting all the bodyweight to the back - as that just doesn't happen in passage and all the collected forwards movement. The only weight that is shifted back (with luck) is half of the weight of the rider, which means that the horse is back in his natural equilibrium. The exception of course is the levade and all the airs in which the horse really stands on the hindlegs, but whenever he goes forwards, the frontlegs do carry and even provide a lot of the lift and spring of the shoulders. The passage would be even an extremely uncollected movement if you would take the sifting of the bodyweight as main component: in passage the horse actually lengthens his fram, and stretches his hindlegs further out behind the body than in any other collected exercise. Also, a lot of collected movements get collected because the horse actively uses the hindlegs to propel his body forwards, and the frontlegs as brakes, directing that power upwards. That is for example visible in collected trot and passage - the forelegs act as break with every step they take, which means that they actually carry more bodyweight.

His discovery is that collection isn't that much about shifting weight (only partly), but that it's much more about creating static muscletension all over the body. It's like a human sprinter who crounches up for the take-off. He doesn't do that to shift his weight to the front of the back of his feet - he does that to put all his muscles under slight tension, in order to be able to explode in forwards movements after that.

I always used to think too that collection was about shifting the bodyweight, but now I see that that isn't reality: it's about the right use of muscletension which redirects the horses body upwards instead of forewards. The mosles are contracted more - resulting in that lowering of the hindquarters - and extend more, acting like springs - the shoulder muscles in the frontquarters. You'll see that in a landing fase of the passage the horse only looks uphill because his hindquarters aredown even further, but when you really compare that landing fase with a picture of the normal standing horse, you'll see that the frontquarters actually also are lower than normal. The entire horse sags down, coiling those muscles to the extreme, in order to then jump up again with more extreme bodylift than normal.

So collection in movement I feel isn't about shifting weight to the back, or making the front higher - because that only happens in tiny parts of every single walk-fase. It really is about muscles starting to do more and more work as springs, and by that relieving the spine of the function of shock-breaker. And because it really is about all those muscles - frontquarters and hindquarter - that's also why stretching exercises are so good, just as moving balanced. Because that means that your horse is balancing out tensions that keep his muscles from working in the right way.

So I agree with you in that there is a lot of balance restored over here, but not that there isn't any beginning of collection going on. Because I see that in pictures - and I don't know what's going on at home so I'll not judge others on what I just assume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:49 am 
Site Admin

very interesting Miriam! It sounds like what Pilates is for humans. Karen also practices it I recall? I'm back into serious Pilates again and this picture makes me think about what Miriam says:

Maybe we can develop Pilates for horses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:01 am 
Site Admin

I think AND already is pilates for horses and yoga and fitness and ballet and meditation and 'feel good' therapy :cheers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Ofcourse but AND uses a lot of already known exercises. maybe there are more possibilities of excersises to build certain muscles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:04 am 
Site Admin

I am all ears to that! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:19 am 
Site Admin

For example stretching out a hind leg and lift it? Would this be of use? I have see horses stretch this way and it will train the 'buttmuscles' :saywhat: even if it's a slight movement of centimeters ??!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 am 
Site Admin

like a kick you mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:11 am 
Site Admin

No stretching the leg backward with the hoove on the ground and than lift it a few cm off the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:25 am 
Site Admin

Sjors does that too after having slept standing up for a while. I don't know if there are any exercises that train only one musle? I'm not sure if that would help a lot either, as most of the time the problem is more that a whole area is underdeveloped/developed in the wrong direction.

I do know that there are stretches that focus on one specific muslegroup though. Maybe that would do more? Because a muscle that can stretch further, can also contract better.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next