The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:43 am 

I read that in one stroke. I will need to reread it many more times.

Wow, this is eye opening and so much more fun to do than all the collection drills. :P :P

If I have understood correctly: work on ourselves (be calm and relax ourselves, a balanced body, very light and soft aids and be generous) to have a relaxed horse in every thing we do and he will find through a relaxed poll the best way to move and balance himself. :idea:

Maybe I am oversimplifying it.

Thank you so much Karen for sharing this information with us. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:02 pm 

No, you are right Madeleine! As long as the horse learns to hold his head appropriately for a given movement, and learns to move willingly, and in a composed state of mind, then HOW we teach it doesn't matter - I mean, we don't need reins if we don't want to use them.

I just went and added a little bit at the bottom of my last post (ok, I added a lot) but I put it in bold letters so you can see what I added. I felt it was necessary to add that I specifically teach the horses how to hold their heads. With Cisco, we are more successful with reins, but he has started to offer a nice rounded frame - mostly in trot (his favorite gait to try and collect) in the cordeo. With Tam, I spent so much time working on his "pose" and then his pose into movement so that he would always know that it is important to hold his head correctly. I was just beginning to question that if he was holding his head on his own, did that negatively affect the poll?

Now I know it does not. I am very happy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:28 am 

There is a word, tonus (tonus - the elastic tension of living muscles, arteries, etc. that facilitate response to stimuli;) with elastic being the important word, and I think of it as positive tension. I first heard it in relation to doing yoga and it really helped me envisage the degree of "positive tension" we are looking for.

When I teach new people I tell them to first tense up as much as they can, be completely ridgid. :muscle: Then to become so relaxed that they are floppy, heavy and ungainly. :beer: Then I ask them to hold them selves in self carriage, with a feeling of immense pride in themselves. :queen: If they go too far towards tension they start to become ridgid and fluid movement is lost and following the horse would be difficult and of course the same goes if they become too relaxed.
Anybody who has been at all afraid on a horse knows how difficult it is to keep anxiety from translating into tenseness in the body.

And the same goes for the horse. So we can see that awful ridgid, stiff look of a horse that is tense and anxious. Or the totally relaxed horse dozing in the sunshine with its herd mates, lower lip droopy, ears flopped out to the sides. Then there is the proud stallion prancing for his mares. (in a natural situation of course :f: ) This is tonus and can never come if there is fear, pain (or anticipation of fear or pain) but can only come from a horse full of confidence and we know at AND all the things necessary for a horse to have true confidence.
I truly believe that a bitted horse, if not in discomfort/pain in the moment will alway have the anticipation of discomfort/pain and therefore can never have that confidence that allows for pure movement with no negative tension. So we can put forth technical arguements until the cows come home but if the bit negates confidence in the first place...... well as Josehpa says, we just dont have that problem :D
Colette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:35 pm 

holistichorse wrote:
This is tonus and can never come if there is fear, pain (or anticipation of fear or pain) but can only come from a horse full of confidence and we know at AND all the things necessary for a horse to have true confidence.
Colette

That is a great visual concept!! Thanks!! I learned a new word: TONUS!!!

Brenda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:45 pm 

Yes! Thank you!!!

IN all of my training with Tam, my first goal was and IS, always, composure...that he not feel anxious. On movements where he may become anxious, like our piaffe, I stop and go try something else. And with that, he wasn't becoming fearful, he was actually trying too hard and the movements looked almost painful he was so tensed up...so just like your explaination! Lovely!!! :yes:

This is a topic that took me weeks to try and sort out in my mind, and long post after long post to try and explain it in a way that I myself could finally understand - and here you come along and in three short paragraphs, sum it all up in a perfectly understandable little package! That is so cool!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: