The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 912 Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:06 pm 

free e-book for dutch people.
when you say yes to a newsletter then you get the link to the e-book.
lots of things which you can read on her website is placed in this book.

http://www.paardenbegrijpen.nl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:11 am 

Ok guys just read the whole thread through, very interesting, STILL have made up my mind. I think I will go the follwoing way on my plan to buy 3 or 4 books:

1. Imke Spilker, looks very good
2. MArk Rashid, if I choose one, which one should it be - horses never lie or ???
3. Hempfling, please advice on one of the english books, dancing with horses?
4. my last wish would be a massage book for horses, really, if the budget allows I would love to have one of those as well, I am sure Viola will appreciate it. Can anyone advice on what is a good book from scratch?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:36 am 

and how do you guys choose your books? No, more like - how do you control yourself :D seriously, I went to amazon and I want to buy at least 8 books, and I cant choose between them. they all look so fascinating! :roll: :huh:

Has anyone read Margrit Coates? I dont think it was mentioned in this thread but it looks very interesting as well as TAO of Equus. pffff too hard to choose :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:38 pm 

I just started reading "Gallop to Freedom" by Magali Delgado & Frederic Pignon -- the Cavalia people.

I love their attitude toward different horses and how they adapt to each character -- and off course all the beautiful pictures of their horses. More philosophy than detailed in training but still .. a lovely book. Has anyone else read it??

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:29 pm 

CHECK it out! Horse Flix is going out of business and selling their dvds!

http://www.horseflix.com/

Ivy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:43 am 

I just got my copy of "Gallop to Freedom". The photography is beautiful. It looks like there is a lot of good information. Since I don't know dressage very well there are lots of questions in my mind as well. Some of the stallions do beautiful work at liberty in a group of three to five, in other pictures there are horses with shanked bits and their heads behind the vertical (could be just for short moments?). I would like to know what others think who know advanced dressage better. Can't wait to get the chance to read this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:53 am 

Birgit wrote:
I just got my copy of "Gallop to Freedom". The photography is beautiful. It looks like there is a lot of good information. Since I don't know dressage very well there are lots of questions in my mind as well. Some of the stallions do beautiful work at liberty in a group of three to five, in other pictures there are horses with shanked bits and their heads behind the vertical (could be just for short moments?). I would like to know what others think who know advanced dressage better. Can't wait to get the chance to read this.

Birgit, I am glad that it is pretty good. I have been wanting to read it. I do have it on my Christmas list, so maybe I will get it this week.

Thanks for the info.

Ivy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:01 am 

I just found this book today: "Regcognizing the Horse in Pain... and What You Can Do About It" by Joanna L. Robson, DVM
The author is a veterinarian who graduated from Washington State University in 2002. Her website is www.recognizingthehorseinpain.com
I can't afford to buy the book right now but was wondering if anyone has looked at it. She has a number of helpful little videos on youtube which I found when I was looking for info on how to select a surcingle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:13 am 

I just had a look through the recognising website and the Inspiritus website and the Fran hoof blog with lots of links. Plenty to read and the book and DVD seem like an excellent resource, but $85 is out of my budget. Perhaps I can ask horse owning friends if we can buy between us and share? The weblinks will be helpful for reference.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:27 am 

A more modestly priced alternative might be "Physiology and Behaviour of Animal Suffering", Neville G.Gregory, published by Blackwell, in the Universities Federation for Animal Welfare (UFAW) series. (Hmm, just looked on amazon, and even this is thirty something pounds!). It looks at many species, including the horse, but I found it pretty good on the whole. (Also a look at Dr. Robson's home page might give people some more info about what they'd be lashing out $85 dollars for...)
Rita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 pm 

From a Swedish friend here I borrowed this book (she told me very enthousiastic she also has an english book in stead of all the swedisch horse books :) ). I started reading it now and I like it very much. Its the basics of biology, narrowed down to the species Equus caballus (horse). This is written about it:
Quote:
Many students have only a limited knowledge of biology before starting a variety of equine courses, from BHS stages to National Certificate and Diploma and HND/degree. Introduction to Horse Biology provides all the information students of equine subjects require, particularly those without a GCSE or A level in biology. This book will be invaluable to all students of equine subjects including First Diploma, National Diploma, National Certificate, Higher National Diploma and Higher National Certificate and all students studying for BHS or other equine related examinations. It is also ideal for serious horse owners searching for a better understanding of horses and how they function. The author Zoe Davies is a former lecturer in equine science, a consultant equine nutritionist, author and external examiner for higher education courses. She has substantial experience in equine management and training.
Its written by Zoe Davies and is in English. The total titel is: Introduction to Horse Biology
ISBN10: 1405121629
ISBN13: 9781405121620

he has also written another book; Equine Science. Does somebody know this one? Maybe I will order it (but that will be in summer, when I have worked a little bit again ;) ).

Another good book I have been reading is Equine Exercise Physiology. Very interesting for everybody, but for me as an distance rider in exeption. This one is written by Kathryn Nankervis , David Marlin and co-autheur: Kathryn Nankervis. Its also in English.
ISBN10: 0632055529
ISBN13: 9780632055524

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:08 pm 

the equine science i have seen in a book store once...there is also an other book equine nutrition written by her :-)
you have to search the internet there are several prices. A good search save money ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:47 pm 

Oh this sounds very interesting!

Wish I had money to buy it haha.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Thanks will order it, :) alltough I think 'Zoe' will be a 'she' ;) :funny:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:33 pm 

Josepha wrote:
Thanks will order it, :) alltough I think 'Zoe' will be a 'she' ;) :funny:

oops! of course... Sorry Zoe :blush:
Will you lett me know what you think about the Equine science book?? When you have been reading it..

@ Inge; I will do a good search before, thanks!
And I came along the equinte nutrition also, which sounds interesting also, but I know quite a lot about that already and I have other books on that.

I really liked the basic way of explaining difficult biological things. Its a good teaching book and therefore also good for the most riders. (the horse biology book, the one I'm reading now).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 912 Next