The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1012 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:32 am 

So, Ivy and Karen, you've been holding out on us! (Or if you weren't I wasn't paying attention...)

https://www.createspace.com/3451600

Our newest member Kim just spilled the beans that you two are featured in this book!

Quote:
Conversations with Individuals Modeling Horsemanship as an Artistic Practice
Authored by Kali Vanagas
Interviewee Kim Sturgeon, Cheryl Glen, Ivy Schexnayder, Kim Gould-Wende, Karen Clouston, Joyce de Vos, Julia Thut, Les Freeman

EQxpressionists is a book about playing with horses as artistic expression.
Featuring interviews with seven progressive trainers from around the world, EQxpressionists questions what makes horses special to people, how we can create good relationships with our horses, and how we can develop a horsemanship practice that is fuel for life.
Those interviewed share their experiences training horses for showing, trail riding, and demonstrations. From Classical Dressage to trick-training, the individuals featured are sure to inspire.
EQxpressionists encourages readers to imagine their dream horses and digs at the question, "How should we work with our equines so that they can truly be the horses of our dreams?"

I think this most DEFINITELY needs to land in the list of useful books and publications. How splendid!
:cheers:

Leigh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:20 pm 

Uh Oh, I think I am in trouble! ;) Sorry, it totally slipped my mind to post the book. It is kinda fun being featured. I got my copy already and I am having fun reading it. I really think that Hannah (Makana) should be featured in the next one. Isn't it amazing what she is doing?!

You can buy the books from me, just as soon as I buy some!

Ivy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:08 pm 

Thank you Leigh!

You can ask Kim...I was a MOST difficult subject. Not on purpose mind you....and I was honored! But my time was so short when the interviews were done. I was bogged down in work...poor Kim. She persevered though. :funny:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:10 pm 

There is a free ebook available from Marijke De Jong:

http://academic-art-of-riding.com/

It is an overview of academic training. Very nice and she takes the time to explain aids and reasons for the exercises. She also explains when the horse is ready for training a movement. Very handy!

She also has a very educational youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RidingAcademy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:51 pm 

Leigh wrote:
So, Ivy and Karen, you've been holding out on us! (Or if you weren't I wasn't paying attention...)

https://www.createspace.com/3451600

Our newest member Kim just spilled the beans that you two are featured in this book!

Quote:
Conversations with Individuals Modeling Horsemanship as an Artistic Practice
Authored by Kali Vanagas
Interviewee Kim Sturgeon, Cheryl Glen, Ivy Schexnayder, Kim Gould-Wende, Karen Clouston, Joyce de Vos, Julia Thut, Les Freeman

EQxpressionists is a book about playing with horses as artistic expression.
Featuring interviews with seven progressive trainers from around the world, EQxpressionists questions what makes horses special to people, how we can create good relationships with our horses, and how we can develop a horsemanship practice that is fuel for life.
Those interviewed share their experiences training horses for showing, trail riding, and demonstrations. From Classical Dressage to trick-training, the individuals featured are sure to inspire.
EQxpressionists encourages readers to imagine their dream horses and digs at the question, "How should we work with our equines so that they can truly be the horses of our dreams?"

I think this most DEFINITELY needs to land in the list of useful books and publications. How splendid!
:cheers:

Leigh

That's me! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:40 pm 

Bojangles...you're Kali?

I know that folks here would be delighted if you wanted to share some about the book, your approach, your thinking about it, etc.

Please feel free to if you'd like, and welcome!

All the best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:19 pm 

yes sure! you right leigh...
please tell us, so we can learn more

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:17 pm 

Here is a link to order Michael's new book (for those interested).

http://www.beyondthedreamhorse.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:31 am 

Has anybody read it yet? Reviews? I'd love to know more about it.

I will definately have to buy it when I get the money, looks to at least be thought provoking.

If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:47 pm 

Hi Faith, I haven't finished reading it but every night, I read a chapter while sitting with my dog in the barn, just before I close the lights.

It's his autobiography. It's worth the price for sure. He is a special man. I most probably will attend one of his clinics next year.

Jocelyne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:48 pm 

While looking into more resources that will help the 3 of us work more correctly on balance & self carriage through our liberty games I found, what is looking like a lovely on line course by Bent Branderup (for German speaking pupils) it seems lovely (but I cant understand a single word in German – so will have to wait for an Eng. Version) maybe someone else can be helped by this: it’s a basic ground-work / in-hand course (although traditional classic / academic dressage – but, as I see it, you can always take out what is relevant for you)

http://www.la-selle.com/modules/wsConte ... 4&page=164

Instead I got myself a new book (“horse training in hand” by Ellen Schuthof-Lesmeister and Kip Mistraland) and then signed up for another on-line course – in english, (a more theoretical one), “straightness training” by a student of Bent Branderup, Marijke de Jong . Both book and course are again, a traditional horse training approaches (though quite a gentle one).
The book is nice but only a small portion of it is rally relevant for what I was looking for (which is still great, I love collecting horse books broadening the mind and adding to the whole picture that transform and evolves into my own mixture of life with the horses (even if in my eyes it’s an unwanted approach – It makes me a bit more knowledgeable and clear about my own thoughts and intentions). the book gives a nice demonstration in photos and illustration of the horse and handler positioning, troubleshooting etc…
http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Training-Ha ... 1570764093

About Marijke de Jong’s course - i have looked at some of the materials and I feel noting is really new to me, (and as a training concepts looks sometimes somewhat like what Josefa’s 5 steps plan), but it has a clear theoretical and anatomical structured explanations shown in short movies (20) and written in accompanied texts (e-books), that describes a range of the natural asymmetries of horses and the appropriate exercises to help with.

http://straightness-training.kajabi.com ... pages/2225

I often feel so alone “in a real desert” here, so the books, videos and the Internet are my main learning resources (then experimenting and listening to the horses), so i wanted to share – if there is anybody else out there, at the same place.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

Ellen is great! I know her and she once gave a clinic at Equihof :)

I wish Bent would bring out his DVD's in English, I am sure it would help many people.
So happy I can understand German just fine :)

Dont know Marijke's book, but the gymnasium is really always basically the same, but somehow, one can not explain it enough :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:02 pm 

Josepha wrote:
I wish Bent would bring out his DVD's in English, I am sure it would help many people.

!!! I second that! I am dying to see more of his stuff since I can't fly out to Europe to attend a clinic. :sad: But so little of it is in English and I don't know any of the European languages... :blonde:

Those links look very interesting. Will have to bookmark them. I have felt very alone in my quest to forsake "normal" riding and work towards a classically capable, happy healthy horse. Bent's work really woke me up to the possibilities that are out there... Thanks for posting this. :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:15 pm 

Well I can join the club. I love to watch Bent Branderup ride in youtube videos, etc. I will check out the Ellen Schuthof-Lesmeister book!

And I really like what Marjika DeJong is doing. The way she has presented the material is very easy to understand. I also felt I was already well acquainted with the material in her online course so I won't be joining it, but if anyone doesn't understand the straightness training at all (bend, lateral flexion, forward down) then I whole heartedly recommend it. :yes:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:54 am 

Relaxed Horsemanship » Clicker Training Articles
http://relaxedhorsemanship.com/?cat=5
A book by Kali Vanagas Volume 1 – Interviews with Kim Sturgeon, Cheryl Glen, Ivy Schexnayder, Kim Gould-Wende, Karen Clouston, Joyce de Vos, Julia Thut, Les Freeman

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1012 Next