The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 612 Next
 Post subject: Amazon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:08 pm 

Amazon deals with books peroid! But they also offer other things. You can find all kinds of books anything! Amazon is well known here in the states as well as Ebay.com another place to find anything and everything! Everyone should check it out. You can find all kinds of things alot cheaper. Like horse books, tack, etc! Ebay even has the parelli success packs and Liberty packs for alot cheaper sometimes you can get them half off!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:41 pm 

Yes, ebay I know very good. But it is a second hand shop, I guess in Amazom it is all new. Amazon scares me a little because I don't know it and Ebay is easy to handle. Maybe I should take time to understand how the website works of Amazon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:15 pm 

Hi,

Can anybody recommand me a book of Haute Ecole,which is also easy to read and understand?

Maybe in Dutch?

Does anybody know a teacher in Belgium?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:01 am 
Site Admin

The book of Richard Hinrichs, Pferde Schulen an der Hand (Dutch title is 'Werken aan de hand' or 'Dressuur aan de lange teugel' if I remember correctly) does focus on long reining, but it covers a lot of the haute ecole exercises. And it's translated into Dutch! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:09 pm 

Great !!

I didn't find the books to buy in Dutch, so I ordered the DVD's. I'm curious.

It might bring some more variation into our play !

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:11 pm 

I also ordered a DVD of Fritz Stahlecker.

Does anybody know him?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:44 am 

I just recieved the workbook. It's been really good so far. It's Charles Harris notes between 1948-1951.

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Interesting!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:01 am 

Where did you get it? Could I get a copy?

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:08 am 

Wow sounds really interesting indeed.
Never heard of it, it is really helpfull?

I wish I knew your world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:05 am 

I bought the book from Amazon. If anyone is interested, I could typ up some of his notes.

April

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:47 pm 

That would be great.
Thank you in advance
Regards

I wish I knew your world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:58 am 

Harris' notes

The process begins whilst the horse is in natural outline, working on a long, semi-loose rein, which is gradually shortened to the point of contact. From this, acceptance of the bit is developed and correct head carriage will ensue. The import element is balance. From the start, the idea is to train the horse to become self-supporting and well balanced and, increasingly, this will reduce the load on the forehand. Although, the horse may move with a low neck, it is nothing like the 'deep and low' often seen in modern dressage; the rider should ensure that the poll is not below the line of the withers and, by doing so, make it possible for the horse to travel along the ground, and not into it.

When correcting and retraining difficult horses, particular stiff ones, there is a stage when the horse feels full of himself and desires to express the power of freedom- at this stage he must be allowed to stretch and go forward and downward. This is the vital stage of retraining; only when this is established and not before can 'school movement work' be commenced.

(Loose rein in ordinary walk, trot and canter with free changes of transitions is the sign that the horse is supple and going freely forward prior to school work.)

The dropping vertically of the head and neck limits the forward extension of the limb actions and retards progression.

Unbalanced horses always 'nod on one leg' as an aid in locomotion.

Energy is both mental and physical exhilaration.

The horse always favours a certain leg to 'work' (or jump) from , due to his restricted physical (muscular) stiffness and balance. Hence he must be conditioned to accept identical efforts from either of the pairs of fore or hind legs.

Whatever the amount of head bent behind the perpendicular, so the hind legs are, to a similar abount, wrongly actioned.

When over bent the forehand becomes weighted and control fo the complete hindquarters is unobtainable.

For a walk to be nicely balanced-free, animated, well cadenced with a good tempo, it is necessary that the horse remains supple enough mentally and physically to have the freedom to notice any object of interest around or passing by-tightness of any description will cause the horse to jump.

When overbent at trot the front legs are all action, (but of little value). The gait is running due to the forelegs incorrectly lifting weight while the hind legs keep pushing (wrong kind of impulsion). In other words, by a cramped anatomical form it is impossible for the horse to use himself efficiently.

When overbent at all gaits, particularly the slower ones, the horse must use excessive energy and strain the hindquarters to lift and impel the forehand.

Continual head bobboing up and down denotes that the hind limbs are not fully engaged-and when, accompanying bobbing up and down, there is also wbbling from side to side, this means that the gait is irrebular, stiff and completely unbalanced-although the tempo might be good (regular in beat only).

April

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:06 am 

From all of his drawings, he always shows the horse's nose leading the way.

April

April

Post subject: Book Gebisslos Reiten
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

http://mediaboek.nl/product/22656_Gebisslos%20Reiten*

My German is not really that good to read books but maybe interesting for the German speaking amongst us?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 612 Next