The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:32 pm 

I'm sure the search results which Romy posted will be more enlightening - I can only say that in my opinion this book should not be missing in any riders library. It covers the bio-mechanical background of riding and questions a lot of today's mainstream way of doing dressage.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:12 pm 

I very much liked the reviews for the George Waring book that Volker suggested. http://www.amazon.com/Behavior-Second-E ... 815514840/

Lucy Ree's The Horses Mind no longer in print but available ebay and amazon http://www.amazon.com/The-Horses-Mind-L ... 0668065451 was my bible of sorts, the photo's and drawing accompanying her text of observations with regard to interactions of wild horses in bands completely backed up the bonding and friendships observed in domestic systems between horses of differing ranks.
With my own horses it was easy to see that Thoroughbreds tended to gravitate towards each other, as did ponies, not purely a height issue, it was as though they shared a common body language but there was distinction of dialects between types of horses.
The Horses Mind built on previous books by Henry Blake which was a step in the right direction in the 1970's. Marthe Kiley-Worthington was becoming known but really in scientific circles and not promoted by book publishers to the owner/rider.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:46 pm 

Here's a very nice collection of recent research abstracts by Emma Lethbridge of theequineindependent.com:
http://www.theequineindependent.com/home/?p=309

Post subject: Horse Watch
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:45 pm 

I tried looking if it wasn't already posted before and apparently wasn't, so here goes:

Martha Kiley-Worthington (2005)
Horse Watch: What it means to be equine. J.A.Allen.

Absolute favorite so far :love:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:58 am 

Comparing positive and negative reinforcement training methods
A recent study in Denmark by Payana Hendriksen and colleagues suggested positive reinforcement methods were preferable to negative reinforcement when training horses in potentially stressful situations.

http://www.equinescienceupdate.com/articles/cpnrtm.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:51 pm 

http://www.dressur-studien.de/images/pd ... alance.pdf

Herman article on balance

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:07 am 

Hi everyone, thought I would draw on your wonderful depth of knowledge here :)
I am looking for a translation of Luz da Liberal e Nobre Arte da Cavalaria by Manoel Carlos de Andrade. 1790.
English or Czech.
The book is available online and I know there is a German translation...
I am postponing the inevitable - learning Portuguese :)
thanks
Zuzana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 am 
Site Admin

Zuzana, perhaps you can ask Alex from Italy. He is like an Encyclopedia when it comes to these old books. :smile:

By the way, nice to read from you - and what a coincidence: Volker and I were talking about you the other day. :f:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:46 pm 

Thank You Romy! :smile:

I am not here that often but truly enjoy reading through all the wonderful posts when I get a chance...

Zu

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:00 pm 

anat wrote:
About Marijke de Jong’s course - i have looked at some of the materials and I feel noting is really new to me, (and as a training concepts looks sometimes somewhat like what Josefa’s 5 steps plan), but it has a clear theoretical and anatomical structured explanations shown in short movies (20) and written in accompanied texts (e-books), that describes a range of the natural asymmetries of horses and the appropriate exercises to help with.

http://straightness-training.kajabi.com ... pages/2225

I often feel so alone “in a real desert” here, so the books, videos and the Internet are my main learning resources (then experimenting and listening to the horses), so i wanted to share – if there is anybody else out there, at the same place.

This looks really interesting.. Has anybody else got any experience of this online course? In a few years when Skylark and I are ready for riding (she's not yet two years old!), I may consider this course...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:58 am 

I'm currently reading EQxpressionists, Edited by Kali Kiger - with some people from here in it! It's a lovely read...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:13 pm 

I have just got ''The blue sword '' It is great !! :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:55 pm 

AliMrC wrote:
Maybe you could elaborate a bit, what it is exactly and why you find it great? At least I have no associations with that title and wouldn't even know where to look for it.
Please post at least a link, or some additional information...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:28 pm 

Volker wrote:
AliMrC wrote:
Maybe you could elaborate a bit, what it is exactly and why you find it great? At least I have no associations with that title and wouldn't even know where to look for it.
Please post at least a link, or some additional information...

Sorry
I like fantasy anyway and it shows that when you empower a horse it can jump higher and run faster than if you subgecate it . There is a part in the book where a horse jumps the garrisons gate - gave me goose bumps :D

heres the link- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Sword-Newb ... blue+sword

Last edited by Ali on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:46 pm 

Just wanted to share – I’m reading a book I enjoy.
The name of the book is “The cognitive horse” by Francesco De Giorgio, José Maria Schoorl

I have read the first 1/3 and I know that I might find that toward it’s later parts I’ll feel less “in love” with the content, so i am taking my time... (I mainly read it while Geronimo is grazing on our walks out)

I want to write more about it in relation to things we have experienced lately (me and the horses) and other thought I have regarding our walks out, my latest adventures in clicker training and other thoughts – (hopefully I will be able to put it into words in our diary) but wanted to put it first here if someone else is looking for a book to read.

This is text by the authors of the book:
“The Cognitive Horse" takes the reader into a dimension where relationships are free of tensions - no leadership, dominance or other control assumptions.

It is a dimension based on the knowledge of the social, emotional and mental abilities and needs of the horse. An animal, curious and driven by his own inner motivation to explore and understand the world around him”…
…. Every animal has his own perception of the world, evolved phylogenetically and ontogenetically, with their own mental, emotional and social skills. In short, they are already ‘written blackboards’, they are already ‘vessels full’ in abilities, they are living beings already rich in their own innate wisdom….
…“The important field of cognitive ethology is mainly related with paradigms regarding perception, learning, categorization, memory, spatial cognition, numerosity, communication, language, social cognition, theory of mind, causal reasoning, and metacognition.
Cognitive ethology is also related to a philosofical discussion concerning the anthropocentric and not-anthropocentric vision of the world. It will have a huge cultural impact regarding our relationship with animals. With the question of Animal Awareness, Donald Griffin sought to revolutionize the science of animal behavior by insisting that questions about animal consciousness should be placed firmly in the foreground of a new research-program he labeled ‘‘cognitive ethology.’’
“The way of cognitive ethology will revolutionize with ever more power our relationship with animals, especially the horse-human relationship. In classical equestrian world, but also ‘natural horsemanship’ world, ‘clicker training’ world and even the ‘coaching with horses’ world, the animal and also horse-human relationship is still very much defined from a mechanical and behaviouristic point of view. Interaction between horse and human is continuously defined focussing on the behavior we desire from the horse.”
“One of the caracteristics of cognitive learning is the latency. Often you cannot see the immediate result of the learning process. What was elaborated might be used in a future moment, if necessary, and when the circumstance call it.”

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next