The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:22 pm 

I've always thought of training (or anything in life) that there are a million differant paths, and it's just which one you follow. And some are trail blazers, and some aren't.

To me it seems Parelli shows you the mountian he's climbed, then tells you how. Every handhold, every step, to follow the exact path. And if you want that, excellent. He seems very good at it. But I am one who likes to go over and see the funny tree just off the edge of the path. :wink:

Hempfling I think allows that. He simply says, "That's the mountian I've climbed. My trail is somewhere are over there." And I really like that, because I can go look at the trees and get lost, and come back, and by the time I get to the top, it's Ok that I'm far from his trail. I like to study those who show you the mountain, not the trail.

I read resently on a book review that the trainer had a lot philosophy and 'cranial work' but no practicle exercises. I think they are one and the same. You can teach a person which button to push, or door to open, but isn't it more interesting to teach them why the button works and how the door opens? And once they know that, they understand on their own how to do things. But I know most people hav no intrest in that way of thinking, and that is probably better, I tend to learn slower because I always have to learn the 'why' before the 'how'. :roll:

My mom has made fun of me for this forever. In school I refused to learn math the way it is taught (the easy, intelligent way) and so I made up a whole math system in my deranged little head to play with, based on 5's and 10's.

So Hempfling suits me well, but I can see how he would not suit other people, because he teaches a lot of 'why' and not much 'how'.

If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:50 pm 

Quote:
I read resently on a book review that the trainer had a lot philosophy and 'cranial work' but no practicle exercises. I think they are one and the same. You can teach a person which button to push, or door to open, but isn't it more interesting to teach them why the button works and how the door opens? And once they know that, they understand on their own how to do things. But I know most people hav no intrest in that way of thinking, and that is probably better, I tend to learn slower because I always have to learn the 'why' before the 'how'.

My mom has made fun of me for this forever. In school I refused to learn math the way it is taught (the easy, intelligent way) and so I made up a whole math system in my deranged little head to play with, based on 5's and 10's.

Wow! You are like that too! Great :lol:

My math, physics and chemistry teachers always makes fun of me because of all my questions. For example in math, I always ask where a formula comes from. My new math teacher does not want to tell me because it is of no use he says, I just have to learn the formuals by heart. He is so irritating. My old math teacher wrote the whol blackboard ful with answers to my questions and he even seemed to like it!

I know exactly what you mean! My clasmates also think it is very funny, but they are now interested in it as well. Probably I have infected them :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:56 am 

This forum is comprised of horse lovers who think out of the box enough to find thier way here- we are not ones to go to the closest or most popular trainer and take what they say as biblical truth. We are not afraid of teaching ourselve's and finding our own path.

But there are many who sipmly CAN"T do that. They need a program laid out or a path to follow, so to them Hempfling is useless beyond gorgeous pictures in a book. For me, he swung open a door of possibilities!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:05 am 

Has anyone else worked out their horse from 'What horses reveal'? I thought this was fun and interesting.

I think my mare is a sergeant.

However, What I have got out of reading Hempfling is the relationship is based on dominance, not oppressively but very defined dominance. I wondered how people work with this concept or is it one of the things that they dont necessarily agree with?

www.bitlesshorse.co.uk
www.neemtreehorse.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:20 am 

I fully and honestly believe that Cisco is a MInister, which is appropriate in that he teaches me so much. He is a very complex horse. It took me a long time to come to that conclusion. I have not tried to work out yet what category Tamarack falls into. Tamarack is easier...he is very open and wears his heart on his sleeve. I will have to try and figure out which one he may be.

I think that we all agree taht pressure of some form is used in all training...even if it does not make contact with the horse...but to think of it in terms of dominance...no...I think AND is more of a partnership...equals, like good friends, working through the training with the goal being the physical and mental growth of the horse, rather than a goal of use. Goals tend to make your vision narrow...I should know...I still get them occasionally and rely on Cisco to knock them out of me - hopefully more often figuratively rather then actually. And no, my goals are not located in my right knee....at least I think they aren't.

At any rate, Cisco reminds me over and over that time means nothing. Dominance doesn't work with him. It doesn't work with Tamarack. Something softer and friendly better allows them to keep thinking rather than blindly reacting. Too much pressure or dominating behavior on my part, shuts them down and makes them so much less than they have the potential to be. We all fly with an even partnership...where the horse is free to tell us what they are capable of at a given moment, and what makes them happy in that moment, and we grow and progress together.

Cisco changed how I looked at horses. He knocked me nearly senseless one day (about four years ago now?)...the only way he felt he could get through to me at that time I suppose. Now I listen, although at times my confidence allows me to make goals...then Cisco will find some way to remind me that goals only work if he wants them to, and he reacquaints me with the concept of being humble and polite. When I listen, he gives me wonderful gifts, such as suspension...something I had never ridden before. It was like heaven.

All that said though, Hempfling has much to teach. His books fall short of being a great way to learn, but if you use your imagination, you can take a lot from his books and play with it. Almost anyone has something to offer...that you can learn from. If you just remove those aspects that you don't agree with, and try the ones you do agree with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:06 pm 

I do like 'What horses reveal'. I've almost met them all. Some are very recognizable, some not so much. Some I find I can connect with instantly, wonderfully, and they are great fun. I adore Dancers. Cody is a Friend. :wink: Brandy I think is a Minister who leans toward Child.

I know a Tough One. :shock: :D WOW! He is built exactly as the horse in the book. You show him a movement, he repeats it, he is perfect from the start. An amazing horse. And so fun to work with. In the training section he says they are "Born Piaffing" and that's literally how he is.

I think it gives you a start. Each horse differs in his personality, but it's a base. And usually there is a lot on conformation in the name. Dancers tend to look born sway-backed, and I'd never want to sit on one.

I honestly don't recommend this book to a lot of people. He talks in the end how me has given you a lot of information to really damage a horse, and I didn't get that till I started meeting Frogs and Dancers. I know a few people who would think that an excellent way to recognize Frogs and exploit them for their peacefulness.

If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 am 

Faith wrote:
I've always thought of training (or anything in life) that there are a million differant paths, and it's just which one you follow. And some are trail blazers, and some aren't.

To me it seems Parelli shows you the mountian he's climbed, then tells you how. Every handhold, every step, to follow the exact path. And if you want that, excellent. He seems very good at it. But I am one who likes to go over and see the funny tree just off the edge of the path. :wink:

Hempfling I think allows that. He simply says, "That's the mountian I've climbed. My trail is somewhere are over there." And I really like that, because I can go look at the trees and get lost, and come back, and by the time I get to the top, it's Ok that I'm far from his trail. I like to study those who show you the mountain, not the trail.

I read resently on a book review that the trainer had a lot philosophy and 'cranial work' but no practicle exercises. I think they are one and the same. You can teach a person which button to push, or door to open, but isn't it more interesting to teach them why the button works and how the door opens? And once they know that, they understand on their own how to do things. But I know most people hav no intrest in that way of thinking, and that is probably better, I tend to learn slower because I always have to learn the 'why' before the 'how'. :roll:

So Hempfling suits me well, but I can see how he would not suit other people, because he teaches a lot of 'why' and not much 'how'.

Faith, I feel just like that too! You have described that desire to explore to mountain, whilst making your own path, so well! Following the little sheep-tracks, perhaps climbing a tree or two, may be going off on a complete tangent and then Whalaa, you've found an even more interesting way up!

I know i'm really new to this forum, but that is exactly what I like about all the people I see here - I feel like i've finally found some people on the same wavelength as me... And yet because of that everybody has such unique and freely crafted perspectives that it is possible to share thoughts whilst discovering so much more of the mountain because we've all stepped off the beaten track completely. I hope that makes sense :blush:

When I was given Hempfling's book 'dancing with horses'... That was about ten years ago now, and I felt like i'd finally found somebody who understood the way I wanted to go with my way with equines. As you've all said though, he only gives you a rough idea (and a heck of a lot of inspiration) and the rest is up to you. Bravo Klaus!