The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: books for teenagers?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:59 am 

Hallo Everyone, long time really busy with Guus and with Mira's hooves she is going thru a bad time of hoof abscess in all the hooves :sad: .
But she is developing to good nice connected hooves... I hope this is the last abscess. :thumright:

But beside that, Mariam is graisy off horses either she never touched one... only donkeys.
But now i'm looking for books in englisch for her, books who are not to complicated but give her a idea about how we work.
So if anyone know some i will be happy. thank you all

Post subject: Re: books for teenagers?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Perhaps Imke Spilker's book: Empowered horses

It's more like a very nice inspiration about being with horses, instead of providing lots of specific instructions. I have read it many years ago and liked it a lot. We also have a little thread about the author, if you want to read more: Imke Spilker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:31 pm 

Oh thank you Romy, that is really what she needs.
Now she think only "horse and riding"... :huh:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:04 am 

You do have to have some experience with horses to read it... When I first read it (I was 12? 13?) it was a bit complex for me, but I still pulled some ideas from it and improved my relationship with Rose a lot. It's much better for me now that I'm a few years older. Anyway, here it is: Reading A Horse's Mind, by Jackie Budd. Like I said, it's a bit advanced, but if she decides to go further into horses, it's a great philosophy on training based off of scientific evidence (It uses to science to back up it's main claims on horses). It never goes into specific training examples, which frustrated me to no end when I first read it, but now I know it's more of a general way of interacting with horses. I'm just throwing it out there. 8)