The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:08 pm 

I think these are the pics referred to:

Quote:
Here Freckles is bending to the right, but his rib-cage is STILL sticking out on the right, and you can see how the left side buttock muscles are bigger and the right is smaller.

Here you can see that the right side of his chest is a lot smaller than the left side.

These two pictures clearly show that he has "more" rib-cage on the right than on the left.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:42 am 

Yes... those were it!

That were the pictures were the once that made me understand why Ruphina can easily bend to the side, but still is not bended...
that was one moment of a light flicking on haha :funny: 'aha'

But I'm still working on moving the ribcage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:28 pm 

Best visual representation of equine asymmetry I've ever seen. Classic.

Have you ever repeated the views on camera after he began developing more evenly?

Now that, combined with the older set, would be worth submitting to a publication.

Donald

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:44 pm 

:funny: Donald, no I haven't deliberately repeated those pics. I hadn't even thought of it - maybe I should try get pics of the same poses now ;) perhaps as soon as this horrible weather clears up ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:24 am 

Glen Grobler wrote:
:funny: Donald, no I haven't deliberately repeated those pics. I hadn't even thought of it - maybe I should try get pics of the same poses now ;) perhaps as soon as this horrible weather clears up ...

Sorry to hear about your nasty weather. I think over the next three days you are going to see the sun and have day temps almost the same as ours, in the 80F range, or at least the 70s. I'm a weather nut and read weather from all over the world.

And yes, I do hope you can find the time to take those pictures. I've taken to, when I want still shots that have to have an exactness to them using my video camera then pulling still frames. Seems to work well, and save a lot of frustration rather than try to pose horses.

Donald

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:32 am 

I'd love to see those pictures as well!

I showed a movie of your horse or maybe pictures welll to a friend of mine and told about the horse... as a resemblance to Ruphina... she was amazed and only said 'and that without forcing him?'... you really helped me in that way in 'doing my own thing in my own way to straight Ruphina' So I owe you big time :f:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:41 pm 

Oooh, careful. Freckles (in pics above) never had KSS :D it was the little grey Laska who had that ... but what Freckles taught me definitely benefited Laska and the other way around also.

;) You owe nothing, sweetheart, :f: except to be nice to all horses everywhere, of course :funny: :f:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:01 pm 

I know, but Ruphina had a "mild" KSS for as far s KSS can be mild... But was completely absolutely incredibly crooked on top of that.
That was the reason for her KSS actually :sad:

So I used it to show how much straighter a horse can become :)

I think I can be nice to all the horses.. will do that :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:52 pm 

:rambo: So after 2 hours of following horses around with my camera I have one of the comparison pictures:

2 years ago

Now:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:13 pm 

I do believe that the development on the horse's right has come up very close to that of the left chest area. Difficult to say for sure with the light and shadow what it is.

How do you see it, Glen? Is that true?

Donald

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:28 pm 

:D Indeed, Donald. He is now as close as dammit to equal size muscling on both sides in the chest, buttocks and abdominals, as well as even amounts of rib-cage on each side, and his movement shows very little stiffness to the right any more. That right-side-stiffness tends to come back on uncertain footing only. :yes:

I'll keep trying for the other comparison pics. :funny: Silly horse wants to inspect the camera instead of allowing it to do it's work :roll: :funny: He thinks it might spit out some cookies. :ieks: He licked it today ... ugh yerk yech :funny:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:17 pm 

Have you any idea how difficult a task you've achieved? You and Freckles?

In the sport horse world this is, with the best trainers and coaches, one the most challenging difficulties to overcome.

As time passes and the effects of your work with Freckles on this continue you'll be able to measure it by improvement in his handling difficult terrain. And most of that problem is in the mind and nervous system training - just like training ourselves to do difficult tasks with our non-dominant hand or side.

Those who decide to learn to mount the horse on the off side, for instance, experience a little bit of the physical conditioning that must happen, while those that take on brushing their teeth with their non-dominant hand deal too with the nervous system challenges.

I understand your dilemma with the camera. I have the most wonderful videos of Bonnie's nose.

Speaking of vids, this morning as I was feeding about 6 am or so, I heard the elk whistling - they have this weird high pitches squeal, more like a pig than the huge ungulate. And there standing only about 50 ft from Bonnie and the hay storage building right alongside the new electric fence I'd put up around our little paddock paradise were two of them.

Great huge bulls, standing at least 6 ft at the shoulder, likely running into the 1500 to two thousand pound range - in beautiful late summer condition, rolling with fat, bulging with muscle, and monstrous huge antlers, head to head sparring as they do a month or two before the rut - when they will get down to serious competition and beat each other up with those massive racks of horns.

Bonnie, who recently decided Elk don't play nice (I have a vid of her trying to go visit, it's on my blog on Horse & Pony Friends, and the herd cow barked at her and ran her off), just stood their chewing her breakfast hay and watched the entertainment.

I snuck quietly away to get my camera, NO TAPE IN IT, so I ran upstairs and grabbed one off my computer desk, hoping it was one I had cleared, and ran back down, got the camera, ran back to the pasture, and they were gone - then a whistle came from another direction and I saw them down at the end of the paddock, close enough for telephoto - head to head playing at fighting again, showing off for the cows.

Got some great vids. I'll try to pull a few stills and put them on AND today or tomorrow.

Donald

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:59 pm 

Quote:
Have you any idea how difficult a task you've achieved? You and Freckles?

:ieks: Are you kidding me? It wasn't difficult - just time consuming and tedious :funny: I would hate to know the number of hours we have spent walking in circles *sigh* big circles, small circles, turns on the forehand and on the quarters, straight lines in-between of course, and also pedestals and sideways movement ...

Quote:
In the sport horse world this is, with the best trainers and coaches, one the most challenging difficulties to overcome.

I hear what you say, but it seriously was not difficult :funny: just immensely long-winded. I have no doubt that if we stop doing that kind of work he will regress fairly quickly.

Quote:
And most of that problem is in the mind and nervous system training

:funny: :roll: Add to that how young Freckles is and I think it's more that he still sometimes gets emotional and excited and then can't/won't/doesn't listen to me carefully. You see, BIG FUN and shouldn't be interrupted by technicalities, apparently. :funny:

Quote:
Those who decide to learn to mount the horse on the off side

... can expect to spent some time on their bottoms on the ground below their horse, or stuck halfway up the side of their horse, and occasionally even head-down on the other side of their horse to where they actually expected to be.

:funny: :funny: :funny: Yes, this is a voice of experience. Sigh.

Ooh, I can't wait to see the Elk vids. :yes: :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:06 pm 

Right then. I got the rest of the comparison pics ... 8)

2 years ago
Now

2 years ago
Now

2 years ago
Image[/quote]
Now

Here's a pic I found interesting from this photo session. Freckles has just started to bend right and it shows that, in my opinion, his rib-cage is displacing "correctly" now. I would appreciate other opinions ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:21 am 

Lovely. What beautiful symmetry.

I agree with you that he is most likely bending properly and displacing his barrel correctly. Nose first, body bent around his middle (or we'd likely see his hindquarters out to his left) and shoulders square.

As for mounting on the off side: I believe I was doing just that up in the mountains after resting Altea from the long climb when Bonnie rammed into us for playtime. Yes, I ended up on my bum.

Scared my Kate, but I was fine. Irritated with Bonnie who I could not get off me as she played what she thought was the game I was playing with her mother - herd buddy bump bump.

She, of course, wanted kiss kiss to make sure I wasn't really angry with her.

Thought about you and Freckles today, out looking at Bonnie and Altea. Both seem nicely balanced laterally. We'll see how Bonnie develops on her own. I will be doing a little circle work with her one day though. Then it will show clearly.

She circles at liberty now on request, and her blue target leading the way. But she's too close.

Don