The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Horse Agililty
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:09 pm 

Someone has no doubt already noticed this site... can anyone who speaks the language let me know if he is using C/T? I assume he MUST be...
Adie
http://www.koikkaloikka.julkaisee.fi/6

Post subject: Re: Horse Agililty
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

Someon HAS noticed him already ;), Karen has opened a thread in the video section.

geordie06 wrote:
can anyone who speaks the language let me know if he is using C/T? I assume he MUST be...

I don´t understand Finnish at all, but from what the google translator says he is talking about obedience and join-up and control, but also about rewards and not using unnecessary force. But then those automatic translators are always a bit funny, so if you really want to know, maybe just email him?

In this video you can see that the horse is sometimes not doing what he suggests but chooses to do something else. And what is more important: that there are no negative consequences for that. In one of the comments he said that the most funny offer is getting rewarded. Just lovely! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:02 am 

Thoroughly enjoyed these (and loved both the moments of different choices in the video you linked to, Romy, and the "kill the tree" game. :funny: )

I just wrote to Kalev, who is the trainer and creator of these videos and invited him to stop by here -- he's looking for other people who might be interested in working on horse agility and I thought he might well find some playmates here.

And I, for one, would love to hear more about how he and his horses work and play together!

Kalev, I hope you join us!

Best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:31 am 

I visited Kalev a few months ago and am almost finished translating his book, just needs the final edit. We are hoping to get Trafalgar to publish it in the USA. I am very impressed with the book. It is a simple, common sense step by step guide to stress free and fun training of the agillity horse . His Finnish /Estonian humor adds a sepcial flavor to the the book , which was NOT easy to translate into english!
He uses his own form of clicker training but also explains alternatives and the consequences . Like comparing the apple method and taking a week off work method etc... THis book will be worth owning!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:05 am 

:) Thank you for letting us know, please keep us informed!
I'd love to buy the book!
Adie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:19 am 

Oh, wow, how exciting!

I'm looking forward to getting a copy when it's done.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:50 pm 

We had been hoping to put up a horse agility course last year and never had the time, so now I'm motivated to try again. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:37 am 

Wow, thanks for reminding about it! What a beautiful site :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:01 pm 

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1453735720/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_dp_0fcWmb007GP62

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:32 pm 

:D Oh WOW thank you!
Looks like I'll have to spend some hard-earned (by the stallion!) money on another interesting book! :f:
Adie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:03 pm 

Jen-ska wrote:

Thanks, who are you btw?? new here?? We have more people of Finland.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:13 pm 

heppa wrote:
I visited Kalev a few months ago and am almost finished translating his book, just needs the final edit. We are hoping to get Trafalgar to publish it in the USA. I am very impressed with the book. It is a simple, common sense step by step guide to stress free and fun training of the agillity horse . His Finnish /Estonian humor adds a sepcial flavor to the the book , which was NOT easy to translate into english!
He uses his own form of clicker training but also explains alternatives and the consequences . Like comparing the apple method and taking a week off work method etc... THis book will be worth owning!

Hey, Heppa! Long time no see!

this translating is very interesting too. Congrats on the work!

Anne Louise

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:14 pm 

Is horse agility going mainstream? I have mixed feelings. It's all wonderful if people use positive reinforcement. But looking at how agility has developed into a highly competitive sport with all the injuries to prove it I'm not so sure.
What do you think?

Birgit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:36 pm 

i can't read the magazine, no member ;) So i i dont know what they say about it.
All i know that it in the UK is a huge sport. In our country it wont come of the ground, not in a big way.
Some people do it because it is someting different then riding. So just for funn for once or twice a year.

Also it look like much on the parelli games, lots of people "do parelli" and are not interested in agility because it is almost the same anyway. That is what i see over here. I do it for a long time, even it was not so promoted as nowadays.
I called it play with your horse or pony but then in dutch. ;) Now i play with my dog and ponys at the same time.
The same games and it work perfect.....almost :D i still trying :funny:

One day i will have it perfect first the pony then the dog or otherwise. The same track or at the same time?

About the injury's? hmmm i dont know...i am carefull but i can not speak for others. i play it in freestyle i can not force them. That's my goal, play in freedom, dont force and if they wont play...then it is fine too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:04 pm 

I have been competing for most of this year in the online international horse agility competitions, and I have really really enjoyed it for many reasons. 
For me it is an opportunity to build our relationship through obstacles and playing with objects. It gives us lots of new ideas that we might not have had otherwise. And many challenging things. I like to introduce new obstacles at liberty first, so Billy can tell me the truth of how he feels about whatever new thing. I like to let him show initiative and see what he thinks he should do with each new thing. It is an opportunity for us to learn and experience together without too much repetition. 

The competition aspect I do not take too seriously, but I am not a competitive person by nature. But I still like to enter as it helps us set goals and set aside specific time to practice and film each months course. It is also an opportunity for my friends and I and our horses to gather and learn together. 

I think the important thing, as with anything is attitude and perspective. It is nice to set some goals, but it is very important not to get caught up in competition and always listen to the feedback your horse is giving. But if people can easily adopt that attitude and want to be challenged in listening to their horse and when to try things and when not to, then I would definitely recommend horse agility!