The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: about longreining
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:29 pm 

Kirsten, LOVELY!!!!! Very nice! :applause: :applause: :applause:

When you do your next video, will you please come very close to the camera so I can see your equipment better and how you are handling the lines? I need to learn more too!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:26 am 

I will try, I kind of get lost of the camera when I'm working But maybe I can convince my boyfriend of the importance of being filmed by him :D

Right now I used a leadrope as a cordeo, without extra rings, but that makes it all somewhat slippery, so I'll try to find a cordeo with the extra rings attached. And I'm using a lunging line, which I get tangled up with disastrously. So I'll try to get longer reins for it (maybe the ones they use when they have a pony and a carriage... shetlandsize might just do...) So I'm figuring it out myself as well, what do you use?

And thanks for the comments.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:24 pm 

A rope cordeo is fine...perhaps you can find a rope you like, and add a ring? Something just a bit lighter than a leadrope? Boat rope (yacht rope?) from a marine supply works nice...also makes a nice light lunge line. For my lines, I'm using a pair of draw reins! At least I THINK they are draw reins. Someone told me they were.... :huh:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:19 pm 

I'm not sure what drawlines are :blonde:
But I'd prefer leather for a cordeo... I just like the feeling of it to any sort of rope.
And I like the way it stays during the years. But I'll settle for whatever is doable right now :D
Do you have any more video's of longreining cordeostyle, 'cause I'd love to have some material to view to see where your positions are compare them to mine or whatever.

I noticed that for a curve I have to pull the cordeo to the side, whilest with a bridle I had to pull that side towards me. So in any curve I tend to stand further away from her and more into the curve then I'm used to. I figured it might be a nice way of having a difference between sideways and curves. So in a sideway I first take the position 'in the curve' and then walk towards her, so she'll move away from me (I'll end up on the ground next to where I would sit) and we'll both be going sideways. (I should make a drawing). Oh, I'd love to share some ideas on this because it's always good to here another side or the same side from someone else... :yes:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:36 pm 

I will try to get some more video soon, and you do the same. Don't expect much from me though, because I'm making it up as I go too! I just do whatever seems to work for Tam...so it might not be "correct" you know? I will have to watch some more longreining videos on youtube...I can always watch the Piet videos again!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

ha ha ! Karen, if it works for Tam, then it is correct!

I sold my double ring cordeo, am waiting for my new one to arrive and hopefully Owen would like to do some long reining... :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:53 pm 

:funny: :funny: :funny: I suppose you are right Josepha!

Please post photos when you get your new one! I want to see! Go Owen!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:53 pm 

Well I found a big difference in bridle and cordeo work... with bridle you correct so easily that even though it's not meant like that you guide your horse in every step through a sideway for example a shoulder in (or out). And with a cordeo, your horse is way more on it's own feet.
The best point for me though was that I don't have to focus on the head, I can focus on her four legs and where they are or what happens. This time it was all about trying things out, next time I should pay way more focus on being 'in her rhythm' so I step with the same foot as her hind foot and so forth this really helps alot!

But as we both sort out along the way... we'd better try to sort out together right? :funny:
Did you get to the sidewyas in trot? And how to come to them? 'cause we've done so much before.. the steering and sideways in walk become quite boring quite soon :huh: Though the backing up seems to stay great greater greatest fun :funny:

You also sell double ring cordeo's Josepha? Cause I was thinking of a triple ring cordeo (also to be used as a normal cordeo)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:08 pm 

Quote:
Cause I was thinking of a triple ring cordeo (also to be used as a normal cordeo)

Oh, what a lovely idea!!!!!! :yes:

Kirsten, I will try to take note of my position and rein positions and when Tam responds as I expect him to (based on how he responds naturally), and we can compare notes. I'm sure they will both have their differences. I can tell you that taking contact on the inside rein, with me walking behind, but more to the side of his inside bend, then laying the outside rein against his outside hip, results in a half pass most of the time. I say most of the time, because it seems to be automatic in one direction, and not so automatic in the other direction. So for the sake of my brain and my desire for symmetry, I'm trying to convince him to do it the same in both directions. It will be easier for my poor feeble brain to make sense of it that way.

Inside rein contact and laying the rein also on the inside hip (again, I am on the inside of the bend) results in shoulder in (some of the time.... :funny:...he still guesses half pass sometimes!). For straight, I have to be very, very careful to keep the contact very minimal or he veers one way or the other.

The hardest thing for him is a simple turn right or left...he seems to prefer to drift in a bit of a half pass...in fact, just about everything was a half pass. :funny: But they were very NICE half passes!

So we have a lot to work out, he and I. I'm trying to just stick with what he wants (what his natural response is) then trying to make myself very consistent in how I ask.

I was also watching his tail a lot (since it's right in front of my nose) and if he was flicking it, I would stop and take a break. This was about him and not me, so if he was getting annoyed, we just stopped. It was fun and funny.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

I just saw your video, Kirsten! Can't believe it's your first time, wow! :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:26 pm 

thank you josepha, we offcourse did this with bridle, so we sort of got the cues (though we had to go past some 'turning with me while I'm desperately trying to get behind her' troubles :funny: ). When I'm behind her it's okay, when I go and give her a treat, I just make sure that I'm back behind her before she's done eating :roll: but we get better with it already.

I saw in your video, Karen, that you walk pretty far behind him, Ruphina somehow prefers me walking alway next to her hip. But when I got the reins on both of her sides and behind her legs... I'd have a hand pulling backwards and a rein quite close behind her hind legs.
Pro of this was that I had a clear difference in sideways and forward movements and turns. when in a sideway I'd 'throw' (she's a bit large for all of this) the outside rein over her back so the line that used to be behind her hindlegs would be over her back. But, lately I prefer to not have the line behind her legs... so I have them over her back everytime, which makes the difference way smaller, so it all came down to position. everything is a sideway; and every sideway becomes a turn and oh... but I'm getting the positions right now for turning.. most of the time (hey, a shoulder in is always a happy occasion right? :funny: ) so now I'm trying to find one cue for the sideways, she seems to make a sideway on different cues... and never the same... not one always. So we're practising there :D I just love how my control got minimalistic. I mean... giving her control is one... but giving mine away :ieks: Right now, after riding her and having a canter with her, I decided to really go cold turkey on my control thing, should get rid of it. So I took my bridle home to prevent me from using it anyway and only have cordeo, lungline, halter (because we have to) and that's about it. Works for me. I'm not shaking yet :funny:

But I love the way of lungreining, Ruphina loves it and it gives her so much confidence. But now without a cordeo it gives me somehow the shivers... so time for my lesson!
I'll try soon again... and try to get a triple cordeo !

I thought... isn't a drawline one of those things we don't use? Like in the regular way of usage? To keep the horse's head in place so to speak?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:49 am 

Quote:
so now I'm trying to find one cue for the sideways, she seems to make a sideway on different cues

Just like Tam thinking everything means "half pass" :funny: :funny: :funny:

Quote:
I thought... isn't a drawline one of those things we don't use?

Yes...longreining is a much better use for them! :yes: :yes:

I'm not entirely sure that is what they are...I thought they were driving lines for a pony, but someone told me they were a set of draw reins. I don't really know!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:43 am 

Do you know what length thay are? Cause I'm still very doubting about what size I'd use... since my positions differs so much lately and with my position... the length of my line :funny:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:14 am 
Site Admin

Yes we have the double rings, with three rings we also tried but it looks really ugle I must say.
But it is possible. (I sold my demo model, forgot to put it in the webshop first :blonde: )

But I should think, you could make one yourself?
Did you get my e-mail about the beta?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:21 am 

sure I could make on myself :yes: Hmm... the triple one looked ugly... it sounds so perfect, but I sure want it to be pretty, well it least not ugly.

I got the email about the beta, and I've been searching around for an answer... 'what is beta?' :blonde:
Been busy starting with school again (some starting problems... I'm like an old car once started happy humming... but the starting is a disaster) so I didn't react to the email yet sorry for that.