The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:28 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:45 pm 

As some of you will have read in my diary, Honey bit me on the arm the other day during our lesson. I looked him in the eye, holding my arm saying owww, and told him how much it hurt. (I had not just a bruise, but a lump for a couple of days...) But he hasn't done it again... I think if I had hit him, he would be *more* inclined to use force and bite me again in future. Just a feeling I have... Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:09 pm 

Oh, I wouldn't hit Dafner now. :) For one because she doesn't bite me, but also because I know that 'Auch!' and walking away would be more than enough punishment for her, now. Initially walking away would've been a wrong answer, and just saying 'auch' not effective enough.

Those dog collars are crazy, if you think about it..which most people don't, I guess. One wonders whether people are just lazy, or if they truly believe they have a special breed of dog, called "uncontrollable". Uhm...NO, you just can't face up to the fact that you lack leadership qualities. Strange world..blame the dog/horse for our mistakes and shortcomings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Dani wrote:
Will give a longer reply later, but when I say that 'it took a month to gain her trust' I meant the trust of her allowing me to enter her stable, not her unconditional trust. Still working on that, and will be doing so for months to come, hehe.

Well, still, well done I say :)