The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:36 am 

:D So my internet was down for a few days and I missed this ...

But here's my way of getting through these "control issues".

In my case, I try to "control" the horses because their sheer size and strength is intimidating.

The 1st step for me was to realise that I CAN NOT EVER truly control a creature that can squish me without noticing I was even there in the first place. :funny: It is not possible for me to compel a creature that is 10 times my size and 20 times my strength and speed. So if it is not possible then what? :yes: OK, that leaves friendship and co-operation.

So, if I want my friend to do something for me I will ask. Nicely. If necessary I will "bargain" with them. I will get down in the dirt and grovel. :funny: I can shamelessly nag them into doing what I want. I can "guilt-trip" them. I can get angry. I can have tantrums. I can do all sorts of different things to "make" my friend do what I want.

HOWEVER, if I am selfish I will not have that friend for long. So everything is a two-way street. I need to give in the relationship and then I will get in the relationship. If I have been "true" to myself and my friend then all my transgressions will be forgiven just as I will overlook all their faults.

Often when I want something from my horse and he doesn't want to give it, I ask myself "Why is it so important to get this now? If he was "my" human or dog or cat or wild elephant would I be behaving the same way?" I find that those answers focus my intention in a way that makes it possible for my horse to understand the purpose of what I want. I have found that if my "purpose" is "true" my horse/s will agree.

One of my boys is a BADLY abused little chap that could not even tolerate a human approaching him when I first got him. If he had a halter or any sort of "human-made" device on him he would do everything he was asked, but as soon as he was free no-one could get near him. So the first thing I taught him was that I would give him a treat for approaching me and allowing me to stroke his shoulder. Now? I spend a lot of my time asking him to go away and let me talk to another horse. :roll: :funny: I must say, though, that it took nearly 3 months for me to be able to approach him anywhere other than in his stall and not have him appear afraid or aggressive.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:01 pm 

Quote:
Now? I spend a lot of my time asking him to go away and let me talk to another horse.

Oh, Glen, that is so dang cool. :f: :f: :f: for you and handsome Laska!!

Annette, I'd forgotten you had the big back yuck -- a good reminder to me to get over my "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" performance!

Patience is a virtue. Patience is a virtue. Patience is a virtue. Patience is a virtue....

:twisted:

:friends:
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:54 am 

Leigh, it is indeed so great that Laska is deciding that human interaction can be positive and is desirable instead of negative and to be feared and prevented at all costs.

Patience is a virtue.
Virtue is a grace.
Put them both together and
You'll have a happy face.

:D :funny: :love:

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:34 am 

Glen Grobler wrote:

Patience is a virtue.
Virtue is a grace.
Put them both together and
You'll have a happy face.