The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:27 pm 

Hello everybody,
I hope it's ok to draw your attention to my husbands (Oliver Hilberger) book which has recently been translated to english and is now available around the globe. The title is "Schooling exercises in hand - Working towards suppleness and confidence" It explains step-by-step and with clear illustrations the straightforward way towards the correct training of horses, working from the ground. Particular emphasis is given to the description of lateral movements, which for a supple horse as well as for the preparation towards the more advanced movements, play a central role. All exercises are described for both working with bit and bitless as well. My little arab Malcolm is the leading man in this book and the story how he developed from the "ugly duckling" to a self-confident and healthy swan is told as well. So for anyone interested in work in hand this book might be interesting as it is an all-over documentation from basic-training to higher level exercises. If you have any questions, please let me know - I will be happy to answer them!
Best regards to all of you
Pamela

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:40 pm 

Pamela, thank you for posting this! Can you please post any links to where the book may be purchased? Is it available in North America? Does the book cover any of the airs??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:38 pm 

Hi Karen,

no, the book only covers basic work, from the very first bending exercises to all lateral movements and beginning collection. The advanced work (such as airs) is planned for the second part. ;)

Amazon usually has our book in stock, here the links for UK and NA:

UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schooling-Exercises-Hand-Suppleness-Confidence/dp/3861279649/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234871357&sr=8-1

US: http://www.amazon.com/Schooling-Exercises-Hand-Suppleness-Confidence/dp/3861279649/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234273621&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:06 pm 

Hi Pamela:

Congratulations to you and your husband! And, of course, Malcolm... ;)

Just looked at the description on Amazon and it looks just great...oh, boy, another book on the wish list for next month -- I've hit my April book-buying quota (I never buy clothes any more...just horse supplies and books)... 8)

This looks like a wonderful tool -- I've bought lots of books that are about training in hand but most end up being more philosophy than techniques, which is frustrating -- so, I'm excited about yours!

I'd love to hear more about you, Oliver, and Malcolm. I just tried clicking on the web link you included in your intro post (welcome, by the way, belatedly -- I got so behind on welcome posts that I gave up!) and got what looked like a commercial hosting site -- and my German is nonexistent :blush:, so I wasn't sure how to dig in further to see if I really was at the right place.

I'm jazzed to have a chance to ask questions when I get the book, and in the meanwhile, I'd love to hear more about your gang and your philosophies, etc. The photo of you and Malcolm that you included in your intro is simply lovely.

Best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:59 pm 

Hi Leigh,

thank you for the warm welcome!
W hen I started doing work in hand many many years ago there was no appropriate literature available that was able to really help me - nor was an appropriate trainer - so i had to try everything by myself, which was pretty difficult and took much more time than it would have under professional guidance. :roll: (which does not mean that i didn't learn a lot at that time :yes: )

The book arose from the idea of creating a solid instruction for all the people who do not have a trainer at their fingertips but still need some help. I hope you will find it useful. Of course you are invited to ask any question you have - I will try to answer them the best I can! :D

You're right - the URL i posted in my introduction thread is not available anymore. We have a new website now (unfortunately only in german at the moment - the english version is coming soon hopefully...) http://www.equigym.at Maybe google translation can help a bit in the meantime...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:18 pm 

Great!

I've actually really enjoyed exploring how to work in hand and discovering for myself as well -- there are good trainers around where I live for traditional dressage in hand/in saddle work but none who work bitless, and none who've been willing to really explore what working bitless might look like -- and am simultaneously always up for hearing people's opinions on how they do it!

I find it a great combination, personally. I work on my own, without a trainer shaping my interactions with my horses (which is right where I want to be these days), and learn from the inside out so the internal logic of how/what/why we're doing makes sense for us. And I do love the philosophy, but am at a point where I'm most hungry for various approaches to specific movement goals

but can learn from what other people have found works for them, and so increase the size of my toolbox.

Always learning, always learning...looking forward to the book!

:)

Best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:35 am 
Site Admin

I only just found this thread somehow! :)

I shall purchase the book I think, have a huge stack lying around which I have to read first though.
But maybe a good one for Equihof.com? Maybe you want to contact me about resale?

Anyway, there are some good books and dvd's even on groundwork actually in german, Richard Hinrich, Horst Becker, Bent Branderup. And most old Masters explained it like De pluvinel.
Also, I still don't understand the fuss about bitless, bitless and dressage are intelinked as much as a jumping saddle with jumping. All the old Masters started bitless, and academic groundwork is always started bitless.

Now I am going to explore your website :) :yes:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:41 pm 

Hi Pamela, beautiful book, congratulations! :)
It's available here so I can't wait to get it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:11 pm 

Hi Josepha,
I' terribly sorrry for my late reply. I've been very busy during the last weeks and there was hardly any time for surfing the web. :ieks:

Anyway, thank you for your offer, I will send you an e-mail, if you're still interested.

Hi Ania,
I'm curious to hear if you liked it! Please let me know!

Best regards,
Pamela

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:48 pm 

Pamela, I just sent you an email this am to ask a question that I have asked in my diary.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42&p=57589#p57589