The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:40 pm 

Does anyone know where in the UK I can get the 'If Horses Could Speak' dvd, by Gerd Heuschmann? I have the book 'Tug Of War', I have learnt so much about the skeletal and muscle structure of the horse, and it looks even better on the Dvd showing with computer the horses muscles and skeleton in movement. I just can't seem to find it anywhere to order in the UK.

I have also learnt so much about the competition world of dressage and I think that Mr Heuschmann is doing a fantastic job.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:22 am 

Hi Annie,

Enlightened Equitation store seems to carry the DVD -- that's Heather Mofffet? I saw it via the EE website.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:17 am 

Hi Annie,
this is where I got it from.

http://www.wu-wei-verlag.com/neu/shop.php?MP=2

Colette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:23 pm 

Hi - I got mine from the Wu Wei Verlag online (OK Paypal!) and it arrived incredibly quickly - am going to view it this afternoon. I too read the book and am thrilled to find it has been translated into Italian - I've already given my vet a copy and told him to recommend it to all and sundry.

i firmly believe it should be COMPULSORY reading (and exam questions too!! :evil: ) by all instructors and licenced trainers, plus these people should ensure their pupils read it too.....countries with an exam system like the UK's BHS should make it compulsory.....then we'd see a few changes hopefully!!!!!

EDITED later to say: I've now watched it, and as I try to stop weeping with pity for what I've seen, I must say it is a very powerful video, which helps the non-professional eye and mind conceptualise what is going on and why it damages the horse. It is also a very useful training aid to help discern the differences between the movements of horses trained in the different ways. I hope - I am tempted also to believe - that this really is the start of change, this gives people facts figures and the necessary knowledge to press for re-evaluation and for change, there is a question asked at one point, about top competition riders: now that we have the science and the technology to know without doubt that these training methods which are rewarded with the highest prizes and public accolades are seriously damaging and cruelly hurting horses, how can the riders continue to do this? Why are they still out there doing it? Why are the judges giving them the prizes and why is the public sitting there enthralled and applauding? I know that many have said this before, often loudly and sometimes in very brutal terms, but it is also true that big changes have never happened as a result of a few voices, it takes many voices over a long period of time, but change can and will happen and this video is making a significant contribution to that change, I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:51 pm 

Mouschi, Colette and Susan, thankyou so much for your help, I've ordered it and can't wait to see it.

Susan, I know what you mean. I know nothing about horses in the competition world, but I am aware they are pushed today way too far for money and ribbons. I'm sure these people do love there horses deeply but have not connected the fact that they maybe suffering in there ego driven world. But, I'm sure things are changeing, it won't be overnight, but it will change, just the fact that this DVD is around is a sign that things are changeing. Thanks again for all your help.