The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:21 pm 

What do you think of this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=669JgdXu ... ed&search=

he is wearing a halter, and she's holding a whip (or twig ;) ) but also giving him carrots. I guess that she used both aversive methods and positive reinforcement. His face expression is most of the time happy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:41 am 

Hi Ania,

I have seen that video quite some time ago. Surpringly, it is one of the few that doesn't come across as "pretty on stage but who knows what goes on behind the scenes"!, if you know what I mean.

Clearly, this is a highly edited video, so a little hard to judge.
But one thing that does catch my eye is the lightness of that horse. A lot of video have a lot of "WOW" factor at first glance...but when you look closer, things don't look so nice at all.

I see a horse that is very light, both in spirit and body, that seems to be genuinely playful. He has a air of confidence and pride, which implies a certain freedom of mind.

I also see a horse that is clearly looking for his reward after a job well done, but that doesn't mean the friendship isn't there.

I think that this is one of the nicer videos out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

I like this video.
She looks at him in pure love and adoration, her face is filled with the need to hug him to pieces :)
That says it all to me.

I find it strange when people consider the possibility that the rejoneo horse was loving the terror job he was forced to do and on the other hand people would have doubts of this free stallion with this tiny woman with her twig, sitting on the ground in nothing but trust for this fury creature... together in a strange envirnment, with hundreds of people watching, as if they were in their own universe...

The treat is about marking the moment: 'yes this is what I was asking, thank you, thank you so much!'

I love giving treats, it makes me happy, I can do a trick in return, giving a treat.
I can express my thanks actively...Maybe it's more for my own need then the horse's...

My grandparents always gave me treats for everything, but I loved them as much as I could love some one... with or without the treats :)

ps: Did no one notice on the NHE DVD's that it looks like the horses are expecting treats out of Mr. Nevzorov's hand by the way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Yes indeed this horse as well as Mr. Nevzorovs are more enthousastic in training I think when given treats. So is Evita :) I see no harm in this.
I wouldn't choose to go on the road with my horses but I find it really amazing these horses can concentrate wich such an audience and lights. There is no way you can force them to act this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:13 pm 

Now I remember that it was discussed somewhere. Maybe on NHE forum. Indeed, he looks very playful and happy, and also self confident. Great that we can teach animals and children and everything to be so spontaneous and happy :) and I really like the fact that he gets such a big carrot :lol: it's like a jackpot! I'm starting to use that slang :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:00 pm 

Quote:
ps: Did no one notice on the NHE DVD's that it looks like the horses are expecting treats out of Mr. Nevzorov's hand by the way?

Alexander Nevzorov uses treats. He doesn´t recommend it to everyone because a lot of people misuse it. They give a horse a treat for everything he does. The horse is going to live for the treats and without treats the person is not interesting anymore. When used in a good way Alexander Nevzorov thinks treats are really handy.

In his DVD you also see a horse eating food treats a few times. You don´t see the treat anymore, but you see the horse chewing.

About the video: I really like the way she works together with her horse. They are there performing but they don't pay attention to the crowd, but only look at each other. That's good to see!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:09 am 
Site Admin

I totally agree with you and Mr. Nevzorov :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

I saw a show with this woman and her horse a year earlier and later than this wan. The last show by the was was not with this Andalusian but with threee arabians. It was nice to see horses being so free and playful in a show indeed!

The only thing I liked less was the tail-clamping the horses did when asked to turn a pirouette, and the same happens with this horse too. As soon as the hindquarters swing towards the girl, the tail is stuck firmly against the hindquarters. I don't know how this horse was trained, but it seems that he had a less positive experience when learning this specific exercise. The same goes for the kneeling. He lets himself fall forward a little too abrupt for my liking, without any thinking it over. Of course it could be that this horse just loves kneeling down, but when I saw it before, it was with horses who had been taught to kneel with ropes around their legs (not abused with it, but still trained to kneel). I love his jumps and self expression however, and he is a beautiful horse indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:02 pm 

Hello everyone,

I liked the video! I also saw this show last winter in Antwerpen (Belgium). That's Sylvie Willms, a 25 Belgian girl, she lives in France now. She was born in this world, horses world. I mean her parents do shows with horses since a very long time, they are very talentued, she had a very good training! And she is also very good rider!
I've never met them but I know people who knew them, they told me they have a lot of respect for horses, and they have a really good understanding of them.
I respect this family, and I hope one day to meet them.

http://myspace.com/alexandracmoa