The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:07 am 

Here another original and very subtle sentence by me: 8)

"You can't download what hasn't been uploaded" :funny:

Such a stupid sentence hides a little bit of truth: many equitation classics haven't been uploaded at all. They are a very specialized issue, with a VERY low number of really interested readers. But... anyone of us perhaps could have an opportunity to access to an old classic book, and anyone of us - if he/she has a little bit of tecnology skill - can take decent scans or pictures of such book and upload it into the web. It's not so difficult. The really important issue is, to be sure that the book is in PD - Public Domain - t.i., it is no more covered by any copyright. In USA there's a very simple rule: anything published before 1923 is PD. In Europe, things are a little bit more complicated: the main rule is that the author died from more than 70+1 years. Take into account that translator too is "author", so, if the book contains a translation, you have to consider the data of translator.

Briefly: if you are so lucky, to have access to an ancient book printed into XVII or XVIII century... please scan it! It's PD for sure! Most of books printed into XIX century are PD too, and many printed into first decades of XX centuries too.... please take a look to the best biblioteque of your town, and think about any friend who collects old books... some interesting and unexpected findings are waiting for you!

I am in touch with the owner of a incredible personal biblioteque, containing some thousands of old equestrian books. When we speak about XVI century books like those by Corte, and Grisone, and Fiaschi and so on... well, he owns one or more copies or the original books. He owns those books... but lacks time to scan them (nor, I guess, he would like to allow any one to touch them!). I hope, some of you could be more lucky.

Last edited by Alex on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:50 am 

... I forgot to say that if you have been so lucky to find the opportunity to scan an old PD book and you have images, but you have no idea about the trick to mount them into a djvu or a PDF file and about how and where to publish them into the web... simply ask here and you'll find all needed help!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:54 am 
Site Admin

I have split this topic and moved the discussion with Storm over to the Lifestyle section. Those who wish to continue discussing the way how we interact, if we all have to agree or if there are different opinions that can be stated as such - please do so over here: Opinions vs. absolute truths and (dis)agreeing in AND

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:37 pm 

Miriam...HELP!

Can you tell me please if one of those books explains clearly and technically what is a Levade and what is a Pesade, and could you possibly post those explainations here and tell us who wrote it? I would really like to have a clear idea in my head about the two movements.

Darn I wish I could read french! I did figure out though, through trial and error how to download more than one page at a time!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:58 pm 

Karen, about download, perhaps I can help you. Are you speaking of Gallica or of ENVL?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:28 pm 

Alex, I was referring to this site that Miriam posted first,

http://www3.vet-lyon.fr/bib/fondsancien ... enuouv.htm

but if I had read the entire thread again and refreshed my memory on all that YOU have done, I perhaps could find the answers myself.

So I can rephrase the question...does anyone know what source I may use for some definitive source for a technically correct description of the Levade and Pesade? Do you Alex? And thank you for coming to my rescue. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:40 am 

No, Karen, about Levade-Pesade I can't help you.... I can tell you that pesata and corvetta are described into Corte's book, but I cant't remember a Corte's word for levade. But I can search into his book again.

About ENVL biblioteque: follow the botton "Telecharger l'ouverage" just above the list of the links to pages on the left when you open the e-book, and you'll come into a page where there are two boxes, first page and last page of the PDF file... and you'll download any section of the book, or the whole book, into a single pfd file.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:25 pm 

Here is a website in German that I found a while ago. It has lots of scan of military handbooks on the care and training of the warhorse. Some of the scans, though, are of poor quality and are a bit hard to read.

http://www.reitverein-guenzburg.de/literatur.htm

Here's a clean scan of the 1937 H.Dv 12.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Reitvorschrift_H.Dv.12_der_Kavallerie_(Wehrmacht)?uselang=de

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:16 pm 

What a pity! I downloaded one from them, it's almost unusable from poor detail and resolution. It would need deskewing too (splitting pages, and so on) but nothing can be don about poor resolution

If any of you would like to scan a book please:
* use 300px scanning resolution; use a scanner, avoid cameras, it's very dfficult to obtain a good image from a book page with cameras;
* scan individual pages
* save scans into a "lossless" file format, i.e. tiff; don't use jpg please!
* publish images as jpg on the web if you like, just to let people know that one more book has been scanned, but save original tiff for future use (ocr, deskewing, and so on)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:14 pm 

Quote:
Both in English:
The 1920 rules for training in Saumur:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User: ... djvu_files

Can someone refresh my memory on how to find this particular book? The link doesn't go to that book and I can't seem to figure out how to find it. I do this every once in a while, don't I? :funny: Revisit this thread, get completely lost and then ask silly questions.....or maybe I'm REALLY confused and that's not actually a title at all....sigh...help?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:52 pm 

I can give you this link: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Notes_on_ ... e_training

(one of my uploads into wikisource)

Take too a look to Internet Archive: Notes on equitation...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:55 am 

Thank you Alex!

:applause: :applause: :f:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Admin

No classics this time, but a possibility to get journal articles you might have have trouble finding in the internet. I am working at the university and therefore have access to many scientific journals, including journals on veterinary research or equine science. I have posted it in the context of some other discussions already, but thought it might be good to have it in a place where everybody can find it as well.

If there is something you need, you can search for the journal in our online library. If it has a yellow dot, you probably cannot download articles from it, but I can (in some cases it works for the ones with a red dot as well). So if there is something you need, just PM me and I will download it and send it to you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:10 pm 

Funny thing about English and German. If you read only one of those languages you can manage to read a great deal of the other.

But not enough to be sure of what is being read being interpreted accurately by you. I wonder if any of the articles are translated into English?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Actually almost all of the articles are in English because most of the scientific literature is written in English. But this is a link to a library, not to specific articles. So I guess you will also find a few Polish and Swedish and Japanese journals there. ;)

You only have to put the journal name into the text field that says "schnelle Suche" (quick search).