The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Treats
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:10 am 

I am new to AND and am wondering how do you keep your horses from getting nippy and pushy and always looking for treats when you feed them so many? Is that all they learn to work for? Food?
Hilary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:25 am 

Hey Hilary:

There's been lots of thought and discussion about this in various places on the forum, but here's one spot you could get started towards some answers:

Introducing Food Rewards
http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/viewtopic.php?t=932

Best,
Leigh

Post subject: Re: Treats
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:57 am 

hdpermann wrote:
I am new to AND and am wondering how do you keep your horses from getting nippy and pushy and always looking for treats when you feed them so many? Is that all they learn to work for? Food?
Hilary

Hello Hilary, and welcome.

Two things to do. One avoids the creation of 'mugging,' and the other is the correction for mugging.

Study top clicker trainers. One of the first things they teach their new pupil (horse) is to not ask for treats with their nose.

In fact, they train the horse to move their nose away from the hand, and only then do they get the treat.

That's the 'correction.'

The other thing is to not train in a way that the horse expects treats for every incident of giving the requested behavior.

Not only does it reduce the chance a horse will go to mugging, but it is far more powerful in getting higher rates and intensity of behaviors.

It's called, "intermittent reinforcement."

At the very first, when a horse is moving toward the behavior you wish (this is called 'shaping') yes, treat, and when he or she completes the wanted behavior the first time or three, yes, treat and treat heavily.

Some of us call that "hitting the jackpot," as it helps ensure the horse understands that "YES YES YES, that IS what I was looking for."

However, we then, or should then, move quickly on to intermittent reinforcement.

I try to stick to a one out of three successful behaviors I treat as an average. Notice, average, not every third attempt that is successful.

I keep it random so the horse doesn't know when I'll treat, hence he focuses on the wanted behavior rather than the mugging for treats.

There are a number of excellent trainers using POC, Positive Operant Conditioning, but the one I refer to mostly is Alexandra Kurland.

http://www.theclickercenter.com/

I also am starting to use SATS methods, where it too recommends intermittent reinforcement, and a higher level of education and expectation of the horse in developing a larger vocabulary.

http://synalia.com/

Since I have no connection with either individual, other than an interest in their methods where I can glean from to develop and expand my own intention to be a companion with a horse, I have no reason to recommend them over anyone else.

A great many AND people, you'll find, say much the same. That they draw from many disciplines and methods.

I believe in this because I know that horses are as widely different from each other as humans are from each other.

And my horse, hopefully, will accept me as a trusted friend, protector, and companion rather than a controlling despot.

For me POC, as used by some clicker trainers suits my intent very well.

Remember, only intermittently reward the horse when he finally has the first full (not perfect) execution of the desired behavior, and teach your horse how to accept a treat, not reach for or take a treat.

Spend as much time as you need to get that point across to the horse.

My Altea is just now learning this. I could not work very well with it because the paddock she was in until a couple of days ago was under a row of high power electrical transmission wire towers.

Every time I'd touch her she'd get a shock. Kind of messes up that promise to protect I think. I felt very bad about it, but we are starting over.

She is a 'gentle' mugger. That is she just runs her soft sweet velvety nose over my body looking for those treats. Rare even uses her lips, and never her teeth.

Nevertheless for my own and other's safety I want her to know how to accept a treat, and how not to demand one.

There is a third technique that you might consider. Some horse respond well to it. That is to turn and walk away, withdraw if they mug.

You are right to be concerned about this issue.

Again, welcome.

Donald Redux

If you are curious, you can see my photo and video albums at - (guest password is 'haumea')

http://photobucket.com/guestlogin?albumUrl=http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff51/donald_redux/