The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

In which language can you read horsebooks? (as this forum is in English, we'll take that for granted)
English only 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
English and German 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
English and French 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
English and Dutch 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
English, German and French 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
English, German and Dutch 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes: 12
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:25 pm 

I think this is a great idea. I want to read so much, books are so important for me!

Unfortunately more than half of my books are in Dutch, but the English ones can be used for sure for this lend club (The Dutch ones too, but they are only useful for Dutch users...)

English books that I have are:
Centered riding - Sally Swift
Centered riding further explorations - Sally Swift
Dancing with horses - Hempfling
The art of horsemanship - xenophon
Stretch exercises for you horse - Karin Blignault

If I can help with the organisation or can do anything I am willing to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:00 pm 

hi
thank you and ofcourse why not dutch also? there are some dutch over here :wink: there will be also some german books i think, most of dutch people can read it too, so why not all languages?

i have also some books
centred riding 1 and 2 (both in dutch)
grondwerk met paarden inge Teblick
paardrijden met linda tellingtot jones (a lovley book for kids)
werken aan de hand from Richard Hinrichs
een paard is een paard van Mark Rashid
het paard het bit en de ruiter van Gertruid Jetten
gids voor succesvol paardrijden liz morrison (some training for your mind)
sorry all in dutch the one who i have in english is already written above :-)
But i have some DVD
the lost art of long lines from chris irwin
the invisible horse (anatomy in motion)
shy boy monthy roberts
comming together Klaus H
longeren met lambert haanstra
nevzorov haute ecole
nevzorov principles

saving now some money for more dvd of chris i would like to see riding the wave.
I have seen a few lessons with him but i like it to see it once again.
i have a long long list....for wanna haves..or wanna sees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:32 am 

I can sell with reasonable price two of my books and I will go home and look it up, what books are there to borrow.

Those I would sell are:
Richard Hinrichs. Schooling Horses in Hand: A Means of Suppling and Collection. Both book and DVD

and

Robert M. Miller. Natural Horsemanship Explained: From Heart to Hands.

Anneli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:04 am 
Site Admin

I never had many horse text books (two wonderful picture books though), but what I have is an old Parelli book ("Natural Horsemanship") from 1995 and a hoof book by Jochen Biernat ("Der Weg zum gesunden Huf"). And maybe at my mother´s house there still is the first Monty Roberts book (I forgot the name :oops:). They are all in German and I never found them to be very useful for us, but if you want them, I can donate them to the AND bookclub. I don´t need them back. Sorry that I don´t have anything useful to contribute, I would love to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:48 pm 

Perhaps there should be more than one club. Because it could be very expensive to ship things overseas, maybe someone could be the North American Librarian, another be the European Librarian, etc.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Shipping indeed is an issue: sending a book to the US from the Netherlands costs around 17 euros (20 dollars?) and for that money you probably could have bought the book new too. :wink:

It's sad to have seperated bookclubs, but maybe that's the wiser option. I guess the most important point though, is to have a 'librarian' 8) who is willing to orchestrate the sending around, a spider in the web.

That person would be the central point to where I can send the books I'm willing to lend out, and then she can send them to someone who wants it, and tell that person to send them through when someone else wants it. And if there's a book that's unavailable and that people want to buy together, then that person could arrange it.

The trick is to find someone who is willing to do that! And if that's not possible, of course people can always just informally team up on the forum and order books together. That might even be more practical. :wink:

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:04 am 

I think that a book club is a great idea. I do think that we should have seperate book clubs, though.

I do have several books that I would happily loan out to those in North America.

Ivy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:05 pm 

yea you have a point, it is expensive indeed to transport books or dvd over sea.
Then would a second librarian a good idea.

I will do the job, no problem with that, i have to go almost every day to the postoffice because of my little webstore. So i can take the rest with me if nessecery. That cost not more energy :wink:

But we have to think some more over. This is now a start. We need some more details.
I will work on it tomorow.

They expecting bad weather much rain and a lot of wind. So no riding or play day :cry:
that give time to put some things on paper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you so much for being the librarian, Inge!! :D

I don´t think that I will participate much in the bookclub, because I am not that much a reading person and if I really read a horsebook once every three years, I can buy it as well. But still I think that it´s such a wonderful idea to have a bookclub for those who are reading more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Inge! That would be great, and so handy that you're in the postoffice all the time! :D

We will have to think it through first indeed, especially when it comes to the cost of sending the books around.

I guess there are two different systems that will run at the same time:

1) the book goes from the Librarian to the reader and back to the Librarian 8)
2) with popular books, the book goes from the Libarian to A, A sends it to B, B sends it to C and C sends it back to the Librarian. That is also the person who tells A, B and C where to send it to.

Now the trick is to device a system in which the Librarian doesn't have to pay for sending the books away (which would be absurd 8) ), and that the lenders only pay the stamp-costs once.

Maybe we could do it this way that the first borrowers can only get the book from the last person if they have paid 2 euro's to the librarian? That way the books that circulate in model 2 soon cover the stamp costs of themselves, and the 'profit' on those books that travel by themselves can go to the less popular ones that are in model 1 in which the 2 euro's won't cover the packaging costs 100% when it comes to regular shipping through Europe (I don't know what the costs are in the US?)

So no borrower pays more than the stamp costs + 2 euros for a book or dvd. And it might be good to have such a 'send two euros' rule also in order to let people be more careful with the books?

If anybody has a less complex system in mind though, then that is very welcome too of course!

Another question: Should we have some sort of rule that only people who have started a diary over here can become members of the bookclub so that there is some sort of getting to know the person that the books are sent to? Another option is to let people allow to join when they've been a member for over a month or something like that, or that they should have posted at least 20 messages. What are your ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:09 am 

about the costs...

sending costs through box, no package.
sending from netherlands to netherlands
250-500 gr 2,20 euro
500- 2kg 2,64 euro

sending from the netherlands to europe
250-500 6,00 euro
500-2 kg 9,00 euro

Sending from the Netherlands to outside Europe
250-500 10,12 euro
500-2 kg 19,32 euro

(All prices based on 2008 by tnt)

about the rules..
a good idea or point to "got to know" each other.

start a diary and post regulary twice a month?
be a member for at least a month
posted at least 20 messages
all the personal data must be left at the librarian data base.
For the first book pay the cost to the librarian and (she) will sent you the book of dvd
Reading time 4 weeks?? Or less if you have read it more quickly
For a DVD 2 weeks?? Or less if you have seen it more quickly
Then sent it through, you get the name and address from the librarian.
If there is no person after you sent it back to the librarian.
Let the Librarian know that you have send the book or dvd further or back.
When you received the book or DVD from the person contact the librarian for knowing were the book is. Only by send through.
So we know also if the postman had failed ;-)
If the original owner of the book or dvd wanted it back there will be no questions asked and it will be sent back asap.
There will be a topic were you can follow the book or dvd, so every one know were it is.
In the topic you can read all the books or dvd which are available.
The topic will be cleaned once in a while to keep the topic readable and not to long.
Accidents can happen, if you damage the book or DVD you have to buy a new book or dvd.

What about the starting costs I have to think about it, so the librarian have no costs for sending. That is a good point Miriam I had think about it but not a good answer yet.

If there are some more things…please give a reaction!! anyone :wink:

edit we are brainstorming with eachother

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

inge wrote:
about the costs...

sending costs through box, no package.
sending from netherlands to netherlands
250-500 gr 2,20 euro
500- 2kg 2,64 euro

sending from the netherlands to europe
250-500 6,00 euro
500-2 kg 9,00 euro

I know my own book on tricktraining (Vrijheidsdressuur) weighs 750 grams, so I guess that that will be the standard rate in case of books. Of course dvd's are lighter.

Quote:
For the first book pay the cost to the librarian and (she) will sent you the book of dvd

Isn't that problematic? Because then borrower A pays both the costs that the librarian made, plus the cost of sending it through to the next person, which is twice as much as the rest in the loop will pay... That's why I thought it could work if everybody pays you 2 euros whenever they want to get a book sent through to them. Because there's always one sending more to be payd than there are borrowers.

Difficult! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:05 pm 

Miriam wrote:
Quote:

Isn't that problematic? Because then borrower A pays both the costs that the librarian made, plus the cost of sending it through to the next person, which is twice as much as the rest in the loop will pay... That's why I thought it could work if everybody pays you 2 euros whenever they want to get a book sent through to them. Because there's always one sending more to be payd than there are borrowers.

Difficult! 8)

i have notist that to when i put this on screen :wink:
But i dont' wanted to earn money and otherwise..

thats why i wrote at the end
Quote:
What about the starting costs I have to think about it, so the librarian have no costs for sending. That is a good point Miriam I had think about it but not a good answer yet.

difficult...difficult...
i am witing for a :idea: ...
i am out for now...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:19 pm 

I must admit, it is a lot more expensive to send a book then I thought. Especially if you go outside your own country borders.
I don't understand why there should be 2 euro's paid?

Can't the one who rents it just pay the shipping costs to send it to the next person?

And it is a lot of change that you will not be sending it in your own country because we have a lot of people here from different countrys.

Or the books and dvd's can go from country to country or something. In that way you can save money. For example the book goes from Belgium to germany, back to belgium and then to holland or something. Maybe if you give up the name of the book and then everyone that wants to rent is, signs up and then (since the librarian knows the records of everyone) it can be send from country to country.

Maybe like this:
The librarian gets the book. He sends it to country A. When country A is done the book goes back to the librarian and the librarian needs to send it to another country, but that is more expensive. So according to how many people of country B, you split the money it should cost to get it from the country of the librarian to country B.

You understand a bit??
Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, but then you still have the fact that the librarian sends the book to someone to start it off. And we don't want her to lose money on lending books out to others!

So it's the starting costs that we try to 'fix' for now.
I guess that borrowing books that cost 10 euros in the shop doesn't make much sense when sending them on costs 6 or 9 euros. But when a book costs 30 euros, or a dvd costs 40-50, then it might be much more profitable to rent it.