The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:37 pm 

jessplum wrote:
:D :love: good morning!!!

can you imagine the middle of the night, and the sky filled with stars, and a beautiful thundering of hooves echoing through the night. i used to get up and run out and just stand in the night and the horses would all gallop around me.......... :sad: ohhhhh, i miss this soooooooo much!!!!!

? ;) ;) ;) ;)

ahhh -- I didn't have the huge acreage but my fondest memory of having horses at home is being awakened in the middle of the night by Appy getting the other two horses all riled up because of the northern lights! So I threw on my coat and boots and went out and stood shivering in the cold watching the sky show. Other nights they would be playing right outside my bedroom window and I'd watch for a few minutes before going to sleep again. I too miss my horse family so close.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:26 am 

Quote:
ahhh -- I didn't have the huge acreage but my fondest memory of having horses at home is being awakened in the middle of the night by Appy getting the other two horses all riled up because of the northern lights! So I threw on my coat and boots and went out and stood shivering in the cold watching the sky show. Other nights they would be playing right outside my bedroom window and I'd watch for a few minutes before going to sleep again. I too miss my horse family so close.

isnt it magic. dont horses play differently at night. they seem to be more energetic. especially at the full moon. every night they would gallop around, but on full moon they would rear and leap and rear some more. they almost were dancing with excitement at the energy of the night!!! :applause: :applause: i know what you mean, i used to be out there in the freezing cold of winter, shivering, but loving every seccond, but Ausie winters are not too bad really.

in summer it is such a beautiful feeling, there was a giant lightning storm on a hot summer night, and no rain, and i stood out and watched the trees light up with sillouetted horses rearing and playing, i will treasure those memories forever.

but i dont think that you need to have large acres to enjoy anyof it. even when i have been growing up and have been short the room, i used to sneek out my bedroom window and go down in the night and watch them. it has always been my favorite thing to do. i am scared of the dark, but i feel safe with my horses!!! :D :D

i am glad that others are as nutty as me!!! :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:36 am 

Jess,

funny you mention the night moon horse power -- I just posted a poem in AND art section about horses with power from the morning moon!

I really did love the nights in winter with a full moon.. 2 of my horses were light and Appy dark with white blanket -- they simply glowed between the snow and the moonlight!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:01 pm 

Really good thread this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:14 pm 

I'm afraid I haven't read this whole thread, and will try to after my trip outside to see to the ponies and my chickens. I did want to share some thoughts with you guys though.

I have recently been thinking about my love of the AND philosophy - it is so natural to me - well, it is my philosophy too :D . But... How does this philosophy of allowing my pony (i'm mainly talking about Skylark - we have big plans for her - Spirit has a more flexible future...) her voice as it were, combine with her future 'jobs' in store. We hope that she can assist us in jobs on a smallholding, plus very important timber extraction work. I'm in the process of seeking out the middle line where free will and 'employment' in a certain job can be compatible.
Bill and I tried to lightly introduce long reining to her the other day. Way too soon. She's so used to play time, choosing where she wants to go, and doing clever things for treats, that a structured 'lesson' blew her mind. Now, I have a feeling that is going to be no light task to encourage her to develop into a mare who knows a job and can be relied on to cooperate in a partnership, whilst keeping her personal integrity as the unique animal that she is. Of course it is possible, but it will demand the deepest and most careful commitment on my part.

Spirit has it easy really - I am aware that she has until now been the "un-tamed Spirit", and really we just want her to follow her path in life - if she wants to be ridden, she can be ridden, if she wants to do tricks and mind games, so be it, if she wants to just go on adventures with us then that's brilliant. Anything really. But Skylark seems to enjoy pulling things, she is the perfect build and breed for it, and it ties in well with mine and Bill's love of working with nature, so we really hope that she will be able to fit that role and enjoy it. If she doesn't enjoy it, we will have a rethink of course.

Anyway, yesterday I read this article on 'objectifying horses' : http://epona.tv/blog/2014/february/subject-to-scrutiny-objects-of-desire-part-2

To me, this ties in really well with my recent thoughts on Skylark: how can I keep my desires for her compatible with her free will? It also ties in well with the subject of this thread...