The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Horse Ball
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:04 am 

Yes they can deflate. They can pop, but it's not terribly loud. At least it's not an explosion. We've had one killed by a Boxer (teeth) and one killed by the Stallion (squished). We bought the least expensive ones we could find at Walmart, so if one is destroyed it's not the end of the world.

My friend has an equi spirit ball. We do not allow horses to play free with that one. It's only for controlled or monitored pushing around. The dogs are no longer allowed to play with them. :funny:

We were getting a larger-than-normal exercise ball from Walmart. We bought a bunch of them and I'm glad we did because I don't see them there any more. They are an ugly gray, but they are really very large.

I also have a five foot "cage ball". It's got a very tough outer nylon shell, but it's got a very delicate balloon like interior, so we only play with that one on rare occasions. It cost about $300 give or take. It's inflated, played with (we do mounted play it because the horses can't trip over it), then deflated (which is always good for gut wrenching giggles because of the cool squealing and farting sounds it can make while deflating) and stored away.

If you have a more aggressive player on your hands, the equi spirit might be a good choice if it's affordable, or if it's something you just want to leave in a paddock, then one of jolly balls with the handles might do the trick!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:44 am 

i agree with above. Lots of experiences with balls.
Yes they can plop but you can read on the package if they plop hard or slowly. The equispirit ball plop wiht a very soft sound.
the balls of Lidle which romy told about they plop a bit harder but not so laud that a horse never ever wanted to play again :D they go further with it when they are empty. The can play with the rest also, they going to kill it :funny:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:04 am 

Thank you all for your help - that is exactly what I was worried about - the ball blowing up and the horse traumatized.... so thanks for alleviating that fear for me :)
I will present a ball to them tomorrow and have a camera ready...
Zuzana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:37 am 

Have fun!! :applause: :yes:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:26 pm 

I wasn't really sure whether to post this here, or to open a new topic, but here goes. Does anyone have any experience with horses playing too agressively with the big yoga ball? Er is getting really aggressive with his ball, and I'm worried that he might hurt himself... He pins the ball down with his knee and tries to bite it. I inflate the ball enough, so that he can't really bite into it, but I'm worried that he might falll over it and get injured or something. I'm a worrier and this is probably another case of me worrying too much, but still... I get a bit scared when Er gets bent on destroying the ball. I have a cheap ball from Aldi, so it will probably burst easily, but I'm worried that it could be a big explosion lol. I'm not really sure which is better, to inflate it so that he can't bite it, or to inflate it less, so it doesn't explode if it bursts.. Has anyone ever heard of a horse getting injured while playing with the ball?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:19 pm 

does he do something like the white horse in this youtube movie?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cR343qUMmU&playnext=1&list=PL77DF73B87E1F7D62&index=25
then you dont have to worry to much...some horses react like this. i have seen more of these play sessions. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:42 pm 

Yes, that's exactly what he does! :yes: I am so glad that it's nothing to worry about. I wish I had a ball that was meant for horses, not a yoga ball, because he will probably ruin it eventually, but the important thing is that he's having fun. I have put the pin (the thingy that makes sure the air doesn't get out of the ball) in the ball a bit loosely, so that if he stomps on it too hard, the pin would fall out and the ball won't burst. I hope my theory will work...
Maybe I'll even try deflating it a bit, so that he can get a hold of it, because that seems to be what he wants.

Thanks Inge! :f: