The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:14 am 

I have a beautiful Portugese headstall with a 'golden' curb bit on it.

I decided to sell it, because I never want to use it again. Still I find myself having huge trouble letting the headstall go. I battle between two sides in me: the old one likes the sight of a beautiful horse with such a headstall and bit. It is the sight I was used to for many years. When I bought it, I was as happy as a child with a new barbie doll :oops:

The other side understands that a this bit was not a nice feeling in the mouth of my horse. I have soft hands so I don't think I have hurt him, but he would do his best to avoid stronger contact with my hands, because then the bit would give him an unpleasant feeling.

Knowing that, I don't want to use it anymore.

I find it strange that these two sides can live in my mind for so long. I expected my vision towards the sight of a headstall and bit (with soft hands) would change, but I guess I really have to give it time. Strange is it not?

By means of goodbye, I post a few pictures of Namoro with the headstall and the bit. One of these days I am going to send it to it's new owner.

(Some of the pictures are to small to really see it well, but it is the idea)

Headstall without bit:

Headstall with a snaffle:

This is the bit:

I hope this will help me to changing my feeling about this bit. It may sound silly, but I really have trouble with these two separated sides in me. They are so different from eachother, and I want one to leave my head........ I am aiming for the admiration of beautiful looking bit to leave
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:45 am 
Site Admin

I head the same thing as I was very attached to my Rejoneo bridle. :)

But I do not see the problem. I had it altered to a cross link bridle.
I should not have done that though, the leather was to wide to have a good release...

If I had to do it again, I would make it into a soft side pull :)

But of course we have our own brand of bitless bridles now, model 'the pluvinel'

I have to say, I always loved beautiful baroque bridles on horses... :)
But those bits I never fancied.
I think they look the same as any animal or human having a mouth full of iron... plain stupid and very uncomfortble. I was used to the sight that's all.
Those foaming open mouths I never liked.

But now anyway... I love horses the most, in the nude 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:13 pm 

Honey you don't have to get rid of your bridle, get a Bosal or Indian Bosal. You can get them in cotton or horsehair or Rawhide. The Indian Bosals come in Yacht Rope like the type of rope Pat Parelli uses or a more stiffer one! I have posted a Post titled You don't have to throw away your bridles with the links. Their is a Picture of a Regular Bosal that Donald Posted and I provided the links to the Indian Bridles. Now you don't have to get rid of your bridle! I had the same situation to I am getting rid of my bits and thought now what am I going to do with all my Bridles? My sister just had bought me a new very nice one with silver dots even! I figured well I guess I'll put Bosals on them then while looking on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/) for them found the Indian Bosals!Oh the Indian Bosals are like a cross from a sidepull and Mr.Cook's Bitless Bridle.

Last edited by horselink16 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:13 pm 

I had the same. I have 2 bridles and I was like, what am I going to do now? I don't want to trow it away because it is my first bridle and it means something to me. Thanks for posting this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

I also love my bridle that I bought when I bought Titum. But I have hardly ever used it, because we started with a halter and didn´t move on to a bridle as I had planned to do. It has been out of work all its life, just as the poor halter is now too. :wink:

But I have always liked the bridle (only not on a horse), so it is hanging in my flat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:05 am 

And I have a very pink bridle for Lisa :lol: Only tried on, as we had stopped using bits long before I got it.... But I have also plans to buy an indian hack or something..... I can't sell it, even if the halter is just as good to use... :oops: :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:20 am 
Site Admin

I just went through our tackroom yesterday in order to see what could be turned into cordeos, 8) and found our pony-bridle&bitcollection again.

Very funny, we have 2 ponies and 4 bridles, 8 if you count the driving bridles and our one bitless bridle too. :oops: 8)

But we do have beautiful bits (a curb bit with those golden hoof-irons as bitrings 8) ), and I love the look on the bridles on the wall too (they're so neat and small!), so I think I'll just keep them. On the wall that is, not on the ponies. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:42 am 

Hi Miriam

I have 1 horse and 4 bridles, and 2 ridint halters. Two of the bridles I don't use anymore because it is for a bit, so maybe I'll look to work a little on that to maybe put a bosal in it.

By the way, a question: how do you put your reins to a bosal? I have seen it is with a special knot, does anyone know how this goes?

I wish I knew your world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:47 am 

http://www.appaloosajournal.com/magazin ... amore.html

:) and start practicing ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:48 am 
Site Admin

I forgot about the halters... :shock: :oops:

When I remember correctly, we have about five of those too... :roll: :wink:

Post subject: picture?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:12 pm 

Dear Marleen,
In picture # 3 you seem to have something going from the shoulder to heel in what looks like a figure of 8 across the breast. What is it and what does it do. Your seat and hand are lovely by the by.
Geraldine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:20 pm 

I do not want to count my tack :oops:

I have about 10 rope halters (which I hardly use :roll: ), a natural hackemore, 1 (or 2, and maybe 3 lost count :evil: ) headstall for with a bit, a bosal, an indian bosal, 2 sidepulls, a home made cook a like, a caveson, 3 neckropes and all the rest in my closet........half of it I do not use but I cannot get myself to sell it :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:57 pm 

Yep Frances, I think you beat us all.
You can start a small shop like this :lol: :lol:
But then you have horses :wink:
Gives you an excuses to go shopping even more. :wink:

I wish I knew your world