The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:27 am 

Hey there! I'm new to AND, but very excited to get started re-training my horse and learning to do more two-way communication with her! I finally took the plunge and bought a used Ansur saddle this summer. I have used it a handful of times and have jumped and been trail riding in it, but it just doesn't feel like the magic solution.

My horse and I do both love bareback though. During the summer when she's really fit (and at her heaviest) I don't need a bareback pad, but I prefer to use one when she is less fit and less comfortable to sit on. But I haven't found that perfect bareback pad yet either. I'd love to read about/see pictures of your favorite bareback/stirrupless pads/setups! I've been trying to find something without just a cingle cinch strap that goes over the horse's back (and one that is not positioned so far forward on the pad like many of the cheaper ones are) but have not really found anything yet that isn't outrageously priced.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:31 am 
Site Admin

I have no personal experiences with bareback pads (when I was still riding, I simply used a pad of a Western saddle), but we have a thread about the Christ Lammfell pad, including a link to a description by someone who has it and is very happy with it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:06 am 

hi, while I'm busy answering, I'll keep going...
I just use a memory foam pad I used to put under my saddle and I put an old saddle pad under it to keep it clean. I have a polo overgirth which I use to tighten it all and it works perfectly.

big hug
Barbara

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:09 pm 

I've been drooling over those Christ pads for years! I wish they were cheaper. I've actually been considering just selling my Ansur because I hardly use it anyway and actually feel more balanced and secure without a saddle. The only thing really holding be back is that I'd need to clean it and take pictures! :funny: I've also had my eye on the Barefoot physio but haven't been able to find it it the United States. I really like the "v" style billets on the Physio, but I prefer natural materials against the horse. Maybe I'll have to make something! :cheers:

I think I also saw one member's video where she had a full sheepskin cinched onto her horse. That would be comfy! I have no idea where I would get one of those though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:50 am 

I use a shaped sheepskin saddle pad. I stuck a piece of Velcro on it and on a pair of riding pants. Stops the blanket slipping around.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:26 pm 

:funny: Velcro, what a neat idea! :applause: That way the pad would always be right under your butt! I can also see how it would make it easy to stay put, but the Velcro probably isn't strong enough to hold you on if you really had to make an emergency exit. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:21 am 

Hi! I use the bareback pad from Barefoot:
http://www.barefoot-saddle.de/shop/en/Saddle-systems/Ride-On-Pad.html

It's not cheap, but still half the price of Christ, Parelli, or similar products. It is nicely padded, which was of priority for me. Thus it is comfortable and safe to sit in and I think it's also comfortable for the horse. The girth is attached in a V-shape which should distribute the tension better. It is originally supplied with small sheep-wool pads on the sides to bolster the straps. This may get in the way with some horse's elbows, but is easily removed.
I still have the older model - they have updated it and also provide a very nice looking sheep-wool seat for it ;)

Here are two pictures of my horse wearing it (sorry for the large size):

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:06 pm 

Volker, I love your bareback pad, it's the one that i've got earmarked for when I eventually ride Skylark :smile: . I currently have a really simple one that's not as nice as that, but still rather padded - My memory is so awful that i'm having a mental block and can't remember the make of it! But I ride a bony lusitano using that one and me and him stay pretty comfortable... Damn, i'll have to get the make and post a picture up of it or something, as it's a nice, cheap alternative I guess. Your one is far superior though. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:21 pm 

So... I bit of an update on my situation...

I sold my Ansur saddle. I can't show hunt seat in it (which I knew when I bought it) and I ended up using it so little at home that I would be better off to have the money instead. I show very infrequently, so far less than once a year. So I was thinking of just buying a trusty old Crosby PDN that I know will fit Crayon reasonably well, and have it flocked to fit even better. But for at home I would like to have a nice bareback pad for riding.

I don't mind riding without any pads, but I like to post the trot and try to maintain good equitation for when I have my weekly lesson. Without stirrups, it's easiest to do this on a thick, fairly firm pad (My wool felt Western pad has worked well, but it doesn't stay in place well at all.)

Right now I am considering

The Barefoot Physio: http://www.barefoot-saddles.com/index.p ... cts_id=248 (Although I prefer wool felt over the grippy stuff on the underside)

This: http://www.aussiesaddle.com/Products/Sa ... k_pad.html (I would NOT use stirrups. I'm curious to know if anybody has experience with this one and the plastic panels in it. The panels are why I'm really interested. The price seems a little crazy.)

This: (bottom of page, English style) http://www.skookumhorse.com/western-tack.html I was thinking of asking for one with a V girth setup.

OR, I could ONLY get one of these: (brown VSD) http://www.enlightenedequitation.com/flexee_intro.htm

If anybody has any experience with these or any input I would love to know what you have to say! :)