The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Cordeo Name Origin
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:25 am 

I was just curious... Where did the name cordeo come from? I do love the name where ever it came from, but I would love some sort of explanation to why we don't call it simply a neck rope. Let me know if this is somewhere else in the forum and I just didn't see it. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Cordeo Name Origin
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:20 pm 

It is possible it is from the Portuguese for "cord."

I happened to find yet another obscure (to all but the horseworld) term and it's meaning:: "Corredo" or in English "Corridor." This is also Portuguese and refers to the small room used for working and training the horse. It may be open to the sky, as I recall, but high-walled, often too, part of another building.

You can see in one of the early videos from a film of Nuno Oliveira working a horse in just such a room.

I've considered it a very interesting approach to minimizing rein cues and following the Iberian origin of our "fencing," the horse - that is, using a high fence or barn wall or other impassible barrier to work the horse against so that a light cue is followed by a physical barrier for the horse to react to.

In stock horse or western reining, this would be used mostly in training for the roll-back, a 180 degree change of direction executed by turning over the hindquarters and departing, and for the more spectacular sliding stop.

Though it's been criticized it is obviously far superior to using the rein and bit and pulling the horse's mouth. The fence or wall replaces any rein pressure. It would, of course, be excellent strategy for beginning work bitless, or bridleless. Or with cordeo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:24 am 

Thanks Donald! I wonder why it's Porteguese though? I'll have to do some digging haha. And if it's Porteguese I've probably been misprounouncing it this whole time. It must be cor-day-o in stead of cor- deee- o? (Time to remember my high school spanish class I guess .....)

I wonder where the term got used first? I know Alexander Nevzorov calls his neckstrap a cordeo as well, but I didn't think he really "invented" calling a string around the neck a cordeo?

And thanks for the tidbit on the Corrido training area for horses! I think I have seen the video of Nuno you are talking about and had wondered why he was working his horse so close to the wall, but using the wall as a way to replace extra rein pressure makes more sense now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:28 am 

Actually, think no rein pressure whatsoever. If you examine that video - when he was a young slender man - you'll see him do the bullfighter body cue, looking down over his hip toward the horse's hind leg. It's over done quite a bit but we don't know at what stage the horse's training was.

I've used a wall of the school many times to teach a horse to cue off my body rather than my hands/reins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:34 pm 

Oh, I do see it! I had been able to see how light he was with his aids, and on the reins when I saw this video a while ago, and I find myself going back to a lot of videos of Nuno Oliveira too but I hadn't really seen the looking down over the hip very clearly, even though it is definately more obvious in that video than on a more trained horse. The wall is a useful tool, I used to use a fence when teaching a horse to yield hindqurters without having to keep telling them to back up.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:35 pm 

I would think cordeo was spanish. Cord in portuguese is cordão (hard to explain pronounce, maybe like cordan or cordam, stress on A) - but hey, this cordão word IS a kind of simple necklace!
But well, since this "ão" ending is complicated to other languages, it may have been changed with use or confuse XD

I don't know of this corredo thing, I don't think I have ever herd of this. Corridor in portuguese, nowadays, would be corredor (stressing the O).
What is this thing for training? Do you know where could I see this video of Nuno Oliveira?
We have a lot of pure lusitanos here in Brasil, but I think most of the riding traditions have been lost over the atlantic.