The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Does anybody know these lambskin bareback pads? I don't have a horse to put them on, but I saw them online yesterday and was totally fascinated by them. They just look so absolutely heaven to sit on/in!

The most basic is just two layers of lambskin, but you can also have pads with stirrup attachments, inserts to provide padding and spine clearance and a front metal insert to enable mounting with the stirrups.
So I'm extremely curious... :D Who owns one and what does it feel like to ride on one? Does the sheep stay fluffy over time? And what do you notice of the spine clearance?

Some pictures of the different models:

Model Butterfly:

Model Premium:

And I luuuve this one: Iberica 8)

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:38 pm 

i know them, but they are way to expensive to try :D
i have ones sit on a "simple" one without the high front and back, it was very soft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

They're cheaper than a saddle! :D ;)

They really are expensive indeed, but that's why I'm interested in how they stay in shape over time: do they sag/lose model, does the fluff get squashed and become stiff? I have ridden a couple of times on an Emiel Voest sheepskin and that was really comfortable too - even though I was riding on a lusitano mare in canter and trot I felt really secure. But I like the idea of the Christ saddle because you can even insert padding between the two sheepskin layers to clear the spine a bit more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Sue has those and has written about them here (in the post with the Rosie picture).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:48 pm 

I've seen that in the pictures of AngelikaC riding Kurt... you might ask her as well.

Back when I didn't have money for a new saddle I had considered buying one, I was in love with the design. :) Buuut $400+ was a ton to spend on a pad in the meantime waiting for a saddle so I chose the Skito bareback pad, which was half the price of the Christ. Could rave about it, cuz I love it but this thread is about the Christ. 8)

I LOVE the Iberian... didn't know they made that model!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

I think they didn't know it themselves either, because it wasn't on the official Christ Lammfell German website when I looked at it the last time. But it is an official Christ model as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:31 pm 

Miriam wrote:
They're cheaper than a saddle! :D ;)

grapjas :D
Quote:
how they stay in shape over time: do they sag/lose model, does the fluff get squashed and become stiff?

i dont know anymore. But if it is realy made of sheepskin then you can brush it to make it fluffy again.
A sheepskin can become hard if it get wet and dry again but when you crunsh it a few times then it will be soft again.
But that are personal experiences of a real sheepskin. There is one in our car, because i get it too cold in wintertime ;)
And the car is also moisty in those times, so i take back home sometimes to dry it then it will become a bit hard. After a bit wrinkle, ripple it is soft again. And make it fluffy with a dog comb those with little iron pinns.
But that sheepskin is naturaltanning and not a fabric/chemical one such you can find in IKEA.
Maybe the Christs are also chemical machined?? i will take a look if i come in a horseshop.

Quote:
But I like the idea of the Christ saddle because you can even insert padding between the two sheepskin layers to clear the spine a bit more.

Thats why i had also interest in it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:17 pm 

Sue (Windhorses) has one (or two)!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:59 am 

Something else to add to my covet list.

I seriously want one of those now!