The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:33 am 

We tried the saddle out today. Setting it on the horse without any padding gave only very little spine clearance and the channel created by the panels was not really wide enough. The seat was not level, with the pommel higher than the cantle putting the rider in a chair seat. We experimented with several pads and pad combinations and the best fit was with a sheepskin that is folded over in the back to raise the cantle a little and provide lots of cushioning for the spine. Rachel rode for just a few minutes and was mostly comfortable, except for the edge of the seat felt a little uncomfortable under her leg. We will probably pad the seat with a sheepskin also since we have several of them and they are very comfy to sit in. Blue seemed very comfortable also but of course we have to ride longer to get a better impression.
I hope to get some pictures and a short video up tomorrow.
There was definitely the temptation to put the saddle too far forward.

Birgit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:51 pm 

I'll be interested to hear the stories and see the pics from this. I know my treeless adventure started out: "Oh I know what I'm doing, this'll be great!" to "Um... this doesn't seem so easy." to "Uh oh I'm screwed, I have NO idea if I'm doing this right!" LOL

It's so different if you've worked with treed saddles all your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:40 am 

Well, the weather has been lousy and I still haven't had a chance to try out this saddle. But I did decide to get a Cashel wedge pad to raise the cantle so the seat is level. The pad is made of closed-cell foam, 1/2 inch thick in front and 1 1/4 inch thick in the back and only around $30.00. In between the sheepskin and the saddle it should provide the necessary cushioning as well.
I also ordered a dressage girth with elastic on both sides, Wintec leather webbers (for less bulk under the leg than regular stirrup leathers) and footfree stirrup irons. All this added another $130.00 to the budget but if it works well I'll be very happy. :yes:

Birgit