Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Pee Wee Bit?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:34 pm 

http://www.newhorsebits.com/advantages-of-peewee.php

http://www.macsequine.com.au/Main.asp?_=Pee%20Wee%20Bit

Has anyone heard of this bit?
I don't like using bits, but I don't own a horse, and whenever I ride at local stables they always require a bit for insurance reasons.
Is this a better alternative to snaffles or curbs?
I think that is I bought my own (humane) bit they would probably let me use it instead of their western curbs or snaffles.

-Anna

Post subject: Re: Pee Wee Bit?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:09 pm 

I'm by no means an expert on this... but in looking at the bit I don't see how it would but any less preassure on the bars (like they claim, although their focus seems to be the tongue) than a normal or curved snaffle. It also seems to me like the ridgidity of the mouthpiece would become uncomfortable quickly (imagine trying to chew with something straight Vs. jointed in you mouth). Atleast that's my opinion. I don't know that there's any bit that truly relieves tongue and bar preassure completely just due to what it does and the fact that it's in their mouth. I will say we used a Myler bit (google them) on D for many years after giving up the traditional ones.

Snaffles I would say are much better than curbs since they can't apply the double whammy of tongue,bar AND chin preassure.

It stinks that the barn has those rules, but... atleast you're trying to do something to make them more comfortable when you ride and that's a good thing. :) I love bitless as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:23 am 
Site Admin

"The Pee Wee Horse Bit is designed to give you maximum control while being gentle and acceptable to the horse."

This is a total contradictio in termino to my knowledge. It is always the other way around, the less control for the human, the kinder to the horse (that is why I ride with a soft bitless bridle and/or cordeo in the first place). Control by any tool on any one is always based on pain or movement restriction.

Is it in the law that you are not insured without bit? I personally find that very hard to believe.
Best to find out if that is true. Perhaps Dr. Cook has information on that subject or simply call some insurance companies. I think, as you are renting the horse, you as a customer deside whether you ride with bit or not. :yes:

Concerning the 'ideal bit'; this depends so much on every horse, the shape of his mouth and the rider. There is no telling of curb or snaffle is better without knowing the individual situation.

Hope it's helpful :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:00 pm 

people "slam" always with insurence rules, or something like that. Why?? Simpley they don't know what a bitless bridle can do.
They all are afraid of loosing control. They think that a bit controls the horse. But does it??
No, you can see it all around you, horses who running away or fighting against the rider, they all use a bit. So control the horse...nope..
But afraid of the "bitless hype" as they call it yes....they are.
It is between the ears from the humans that they have to control everthing around them. But can they control 100%....nope...

i dont know the bridle, but it seems not realy friendly only different then a standard snaffle.
As Jospha already wrote it depents on the horses mouth and the rider if it will fit and work or not.

The whole world no matter were you come say the same things....i get craizy about it.... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:10 am 

I have one of these. I rode with it once, didn't like it, and it now resides in the unused bit collection. What I didn't like about it is that it has a thin mouthpiece (more severe than a thicker one), and has little bars that, depending on how you set up the bit, press into the jaw bone on one or both sides. The bit can be set up (depending on where you attach the headstall) so it works more like a leverage or non-leverage bit.

Kris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:08 am 

Josepha wrote:
"The Pee Wee Horse Bit is designed to give you maximum control while being gentle and acceptable to the horse."

This is a total contradictio in termino to my knowledge. It is always the other way around, the less control for the human, the kinder to the horse (that is why I ride with a soft bitless bridle and/or cordeo in the first place). Control by any tool on any one is always based on pain or movement restriction.

Point very well taken. There is and never will be anything put in the horse's mouth soft or hard that is "gentle," from the horse's point of view or mine, and I trust yours as well. It is for force, and logically force through pain since we are no match for the horse in a straight on tug of war.
Josepha wrote:

Is it in the law that you are not insured without bit?
I personally find that very hard to believe.
Best to find out if that is true.

Your right to have disbelief. Insurance companies set the rules. However, I doubt that this is in the policy at all. The language is more general than that. I carry a great deal of liability insurance as a riding instructor and there is not a thing about my methods, equipment, etc. Nothing.

The barn is making that up to control the riders' use of equipment to support their own belief in the horse as a intractable obstinate animal that will not comply with out force and pain or the threat of same. They will not comply, I'd bet, with any request to provide proof, and will simply refuse to serve the person coming to ride. Though a challenge would be nice to present.

The barn I teach at has wonderful policies in place. While not bitless the owner herself rides all the time without a bit using a simple soft headstall. She does on occasion ride with a bit. I do wish she wouldn't be she has no rule that others cannot ride bitless or even without bridle if they wish. It's wonderful for the children to play about and experience these gentler ways with their horses, though we are still a very orthodox horseworld here and in the show ring they must use constraints on the horse's head in some way. Sad.

Josepha wrote:
Perhaps Dr. Cook has information on that subject or simply call some insurance companies. I think, as you are renting the horse, you as a customer deside whether you ride with bit or not. :yes:

That's how we wish they were but they are not. As the owner of the horse and premises they decide how their horses are ridden. And with what equipment.

My BO, when I first started teaching there insisted, now get this, that her horse (a private student) be ridden ONLY with a halter, no bit, and no spurs, and no whips or crops or bats. Not even a stick for groundwork. Could have kissed her. This is a strong minded anglo arabian X too. But responds very nicely to minimal head constraint. He'll carry a bit but he does not like it at all. A teeth clencher if you try to put on on him, and once on if you do not have the stillest hands in the world he'll let you know most certainly - banging your knee into the school wall, carrying his nose up, dragging his hind quarters, hollow back, forehand driving into the ground - got to love him. What a teacher. Put the halter on and he is a different horse entirely. Sweet soft collected trot, or suspended aerial extended trot, a most smooth collected canter, lovely lifted forehand.

Makes him very difficult to show in our local events. Which of course tickles me. Wish though he didn't have to suffer for the folks that insist on bits.
Josepha wrote:

Concerning the 'ideal bit'; this depends so much on every horse, the shape of his mouth and the rider. There is no telling of curb or snaffle is better without knowing the individual situation.

Hope it's helpful :)

As you know I'm horribly opinionated on this issue, even aside from my own use of the classical hackamore. I consider only one bit actually functional in the manner called for by so called experts on the bit.

It has no leverage, and no pinching of the jawbone from each side, and no digging of the joint into the roof of the mouth. It's the barrel center snaffle ... this one:

The barrel restricts the folding action of the bars thus the roof of the mouth is spared as are the jaw bone on each side. I'll not give a name brand as I most decidedly do NOT consider this humane just because it is capable of less damage than other snaffles and curb bits - it is simply a little less harsh, but still, harsh enough on its own.

If for some strange reason I had to ride using a bit this is the one I would use, but thankfully no such strange condition exists for me. I don't compete. I don't train or even do evaluation rides on other people's horses unless they let me use my favorite headgear. If they insist I ride with a bit, I don't ride. I turn down the fee and the contact.

Those that have seen me ride such horses, known for bolting, running away, bucking, etc. find out rather quickly their horse doesn't do that with me, or only momentarily as I ask them to comply with me in a new way - gently.

People that come to me with problem horses often are showing me that while they ride reasonably well they do not understand the fear that comes from the bit. I insist they ride with my hackamore or less if they wish. In every instance, whether I ride, or they ride under my direction they are always stunned at the change in the horse for the better.

So then, either the orthodox horseworld changes or I change. LOL

Which do you think I insist on and intend helping happen? :roll: :funny: :funny: :funny:

More and more people are discovering that less is more in headgear for the horse. I like that.

I preach it.

Donald