The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:35 pm 

I wanted to see if anyone on here owns or has ridden in one of those Ghost saddles...

http://www.buitenzinnig.nl/DaviWB/Pagina17_IMG_OBJ30.jpg

I'm in the market for one, although it'll be many many months before I can save the funds. :sad:
I've looked over countless brands (I know Barefoots are popular here) and read countless reviews and have ultimately settled on the Ghost. It seems to offer what I really need plus the lightness and adjustability for D, since his back has changed so much in the past few years. I can't stand bulk, most notably under my legs, which is ironic considering I've ridden in dressage saddles alot in the past few years. I'm also extremely picky about stirrup position and shy away from anything that puts my legs forward. I need my legs under me or atleast have the saddle be adjustable so I can change it... the Ghost also offers that. D also has a major issue with things getting in the way of his shoulders. He always preferred the freedom of a straight flap, I think the almost-non-existant-flap on the Ghosts would appeal to him. Especially once he starts offering that powerful extended trot again (I do believe once he learned it that was his favorite gait).
Anyways, just wondering... I think in looking through some old pictures I saw one person riding in one on here but can't remember who it was.

For anyone wondering: his current saddle is an all purpose Wintec. It's got an adjustable gullet but I'm learning that's just the beginning to a good fitting saddle and despite that the saddle still fits him poorly. :sad: bars are too long, something about the panels seem too rigid or something because it's still causing wastage in his back even though it's wide enough. *sigh*

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:17 am 

Hi i know the gohst. Dont ride it myself but friends of mine does. And i know the people behind the website. They are very friendly.
So why dont you write them in english, they understand you very clear. You can ask what you wanted.
or are you looking for a used one? Sometimes there is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:50 pm 

Buying a used one would be ok with me, as it's usually several hundred $$$ cheaper. :D But so far I've only found ONE for sale. :ieks: And it sold before the owner got back to me on shipping price. People don't seem to want to let go of them! lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

I love the saddle! We carry them in our shop also, but only for Belgium :)
Why don't you write her, indeed as Inge says? She might know a second hand one for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:32 pm 

I had held off because I don't have the money to buy right now (afraid I'd fall in love with the saddle and be even MORE tortured :funny: ), but maybe I will go ahead and ask them questions... I do need some help figuring out whether the all purpose or endurance model would fit me better. Thanks guys. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:48 pm 

for sure she can help, maybe she have a second one for you too. i know she have those sometimes.

edit forget i will keep an eye open for you

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:06 pm 

Grrr... well I emailed the lady who sells Ghost saddles in the USA and she replied. Currently she doesn't have any as she says the saddles are actually going through an entire product redesign! :huh: I wonder what that means for the saddle and the price. She also says they're going to be made at a different factory. I guess this could be a good thing... improving the saddle and all. Does anyone else know about this redesign? Josepha?
She did help me with the styles though and I think I'll end up going with the standard. I had thought I didn't need kneerolls, but after Diego's latest death-gallop-n-buck stunt in the pasture I think I need to shush my pride. ;)

*sigh* I guess this is good because it means I have more time to save money before I can buy one.

Although I keep running in to the same woman on the internet over and over who has the EXACT saddle I want - for sale!!! :ieks: But she lives in the UK and I cannot get in contact with her! Sooo frustrating. First she posted on a consignment UK website. I joined and messaged her asking what she'd charge to ship to the US. She said she'd check but the listing expired before she got back to me! then I found her AGAIN last month on the new rider boards and joined, but you have to pay for a subscription to post and they did not accept my temporary membership so I could not contact her on those boards either. Geez! Just post the sale in public lady and I'll be the first on your doorstep asking about buying it! It's a used, black lorcia saddle which is exactly what I want.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:47 pm 

I bought a Ghost from Don (super nice!) maybe four years ago to start my Fjord in. It's been lightly used and is in very good condition. It's all soft black nubuck (?-the sticky leather) and has the girth with it. I like it a lot, but I don't use it as much as my Sensation hybrid trail, and have been considering selling it. I am in Little Rock. Are you still looking for one?

Lori Lemley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:26 pm 

I am still looking... as I hadn't found anyone willing to sell. PM me your email address please? :)

If you don't mind telling me, what do you find are the big differences (comfort, seat, flaps, rider position) between the Ghost and the Sensation? Just curious, I try to get as many opinions as possible. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

yes, that is true. Our demo saddle will be sold. Drop me a email if you are interested.
I hope they will have the new range soon... but it will probably take 6 months or so...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:45 pm 

Hi there,
I would also be really interested in purchasing a used Ghost if anyone on still has one. I am in the US.
Please send me an email! cici_pedro @ hotmail . com
Thanks!
Christy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:14 am 

Me too me too! It's pretty much at the top of my "next to buy" list.

Josepha, would love to hear your comments:
I have a Torsion extra light which is pretty much the same as the Barefoot models in how it sits on the horse. It's great on my round horses, but I'm very wary of it on my more coat-hanger shaped friends, as even with an excellent high wither saddle pad, there will be an area of spinal pressure further back, under my seat, where it sits across a more prominent spine.

I took my Torsion to Xin Jiang to use on the horses I rode there. These horses (descendent of Ghengis Khan's Mongol army) are very angular and mostly have a prominent spine. Despite extra padding in my Haf pad, (and although at first he felt great with the greater shoulder freedom)my horse felt uncomfortable after a while with the pressure under my seat, and I had to change saddles for a long ride.

I've been studying the Ghost saddles and wondering how they would go on these angular horses. What do you think? The construction LOOKS like the saddle is help up off the spine all the way to the back. Does it really work like that?

Seriously considering getting one to ride Harlequin in, as I'm not sure he's entirely ok in the torsion. Any more second hand??

Cheers,
Sue