The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Barefoot saddles
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:22 pm 

Josepha, or anybody else that has a treeless saddle, please help! :D I need a saddle for Brandy, and I am pretty sure I am going to have to get a treeless. At a stand still/walk she fits beautifully in a semi-QH bar. At a trot she rounds her back and fits beautifully in a full-QH bar. Same basic problem with english saddles. I need something that can accomidate her WIDE range of back movements. She also tends to be more convex in movement, which is just the opposite of how pretty much all treed saddles are made. She moves uncomfortably until she just gives in and goes hollow in a treed saddle, and bareback she will raise her back and move so perfectly, a saddle totally ruins her movement! Treeless saddles allow for this collected-back movement, right?

I really like the Barefoot saddles. I'm looking at the Tahoe or London. The London looks bulky to me. And the Tahoe I have heard is especially built up in the front for horses with big shoulder movement, which Brandy has. So I am leaning toward it.

Josepha, don't you sell these saddles? What do you think of them? Is there something else you would recommend? Is the London as bulky as it looks? What do you think of the Tahoe? Which helps you stay in good position better?

I want one of the newer versions, since they have the panels to help improve spine clearance. I absolutely love the knee rolls on my english saddle, which is mainly why I prefer the Tahoe and London to the Cheyenne.

I am a size 6-8 jean. 30" waist. I think this is a size 1? But I don't want to be squished in with no room to move. But I don't want to be swimming in extra saddle either, so I don't know what size I want. Currently I prefer a bigger seat, because in a bigger seat I can get my legs under me, in a smaller seat I am forced into a chair-seat (which is very painful to my back if nothing else). But I have heard this is not a problem with these saddles. So if I am not having to squirm to keep my legs under me, I would prefer a smaller seat. What do you think? Does that make sense?

Also, I will one day need a saddle for Cody as well. If I buy a treeless, will it fit both horses? Cody is a bit broader and shorter in the back, otherwise they are quite a bit a like. But I might also want to use it on other horses so... Does the saddle conform to one horse, and then only fit that horse, or does it "spring back" and fit multiple horses?

What's the best pad to put under them? I know there are Skito, Granduer, etc etc. Which do you like the best? Can you only use the girths sold by the Barefoot dealers, or can you use any english girth?

Any other information will be much appreciated. :D

If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:56 pm 

I tried the barefoot saddles and did not like hitting the cantle when I posted. I ride in a freeform liberty with a HAF pad and I love it. It is treeless but still has very good support even when mounting.

Melanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:51 pm 

hi

if you are "hitting" the cantle than is the place of the stirrupbars not good for you.
By the most treelessaddle are the stirrupbars to far to the front, then you came behind the movement of your horse, at that time it is possible you hit the cantle.
you can try to ride with a longer leg, but if that is not working then you need a other saddle it think.

i ride a barefoot cheyenne and the Heather moffet saddle.
i prefer the HM during dressage and the barefoot for longer trail riding..

saddles are personal to the rider but also for the horse. You have to try....and find out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:15 pm 

I hear a lot of enthousiastic story's of the barefoot

I have a Cheyenne myself, but don't like it very much. It is good enough for now, and I learned to ride with it, but still don't like it very much

It is to wide between my legs, feels like I'm far away from my horse, and I can't almost reache him with my leg..
My upper body is falling forward, and when I try to correct I fall to far behind. No. I'm not that enthousiastic.

It does fit almost every horse.
And I tried a Barefoot Nevada frome someone else, that was a lot better! Just a little different seat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:01 pm 

I heard a lot of good things about the barefoot saddles as well.
A friend of mine tried out a lot of different kind of treeless saddles and that is the one company she sticked with.
Her husband had the most difficult time to make other treeless saddles to work.

Check out her site www.happyhorsebacksaddles.ca
I am pretty sure she will answer you all your question.
You can say that Christina from Saskatchewan sent her regards :D :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:26 am 

I do have a barefoot Cheyenne.
The thing I like a lot about it, is the seat itsself. It feels very nice and comfortable to sit on.
What I don't like about it: it feels like the stirrups are placed to far backwards for me, and as a consequence it 'pulls' on my back and pelvis, giving me a backache.
And also, it is indeed very difficult to reach my horse with my legs.

I wonder if the problem lies in the fact that my horse is really round and really extremely broad/wide in her body.

The funny thing is that my horse Fay strongly preferes this saddle over a versatillity saddle with a tree. She really dislikes that.

So you understand: we still haven't found what we're looking for :wink:

My husband has a Barefoot Arizona and he is really well-pleased with that, and his horse is too.

our introduction with photos: http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/viewtopic.php?t=744

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:03 pm 

Hi,
I also have barefoot cheyenneand it works really well for me. I ride with quite long stirrups, and most of the time I don't use my legs (at least not intentionally), so I don't care about the contact with legs. As for wideness, yes, it does take a little time to learn to relax your hips (at the beginning, that was the only problem I had with that saddle), but now I am accustomed to the feeling and it doesn't bother me at all. Plus, it is the most comfortable saddle ever made :wink:
I think that my mare likes it too. The spine clearance is good and the quality of the additional items (girth, pad) is superb.
I will definitely never ever again put a treed saddle on my horse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:11 pm 

I have no treeless sadle but I would love to try one one day.
Just to know how it feels like and so because it is expensive if you buy one and it doesn't feel well.
Maybe you can find one you can try first?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:23 pm 

spiritofteamwork wrote:
It is to wide between my legs, feels like I'm far away from my horse, and I can't almost reache him with my leg..
My upper body is falling forward, and when I try to correct I fall to far behind. No. I'm not that enthousiastic.

it is the position of the stirrups who give you the feeling of sitting wide.
You can use a hipsaverpad, then you sit less wide.
I use it too, but not for that reason but it sits great :-) see my site (below)

I have get today the Vogue..a new saddle from Heather..wow it is great...i have not try it yet, no time, had to work and it is dark when i am finised, so i do not try a new saddle at those times.
i have to wait until saturday, then i have some light, and can i see what i am doing :-)
but i can hardly wait..i feel very good, soft and good leather.
Next days i will prepare the pics i have token and put them on my site.

The reason that i wrote when i am riding dressage i prefer the HM is because of the seat. When i am going for a longer trail, i ride less heavy..most of the time we walk, and it is almost straight ahead. In a piste you have to turn many times. Then you need a differrent position of your seat, your legs etc...although i like the different position. :-) when i am riding in the woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:50 pm 

I sell the Barefoots and the Heather Moffett's and I ADORE the new HM Vogue saddle. Here is a link to my website with photo http://www.western-saddler.co.uk/hmfhoenix.shtml so you can se what they look like. :)

Have fun in your new one at the weekend. Be interested to hear what you think :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:06 am 
Site Admin

Tlove wrote:
I have no treeless sadle but I would love to try one one day.
Just to know how it feels like and so because it is expensive if you buy one and it doesn't feel well.
Maybe you can find one you can try first?

tsss, have you ever actually looked carefully at my webshop? you can try 3 types of barefoot saddles for a week :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:36 pm 

Yes Josepha I know. I have seen it before. But I would rather visit you once with my horse then that you have to send the saddles trough mails. It just doesn't sound so safe to me. Something should happen to the saddles and so.
And then I have a good reason to visit your horses too 8) :wink:

Greetings
Oh ps: I just bought a new car which can pull a trailer, so now I just have to learn to drive with a trailer and then we will come your way :wink:

I wish I knew your world

Post subject: Barefoot London
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:38 pm 

I have had my Barefoot London for two seasons now and I am delighted. The grandeur pad has held up really well, worth every penny.
For safety reasons I replaced the stirrup hanger. I had to replace the billets and went with the "V" configuration that I so liked with the Wintecs. For comfort, I added a "maxi pad" on top of the seat and covered it with rough out leather. My upholster did this for only $20.00. I gained more twist and comfort.
The best part is I did not have to change saddles, pads, or re-stuff this last year as the warmblood/qt cross filly developed her top line, this is a savings I really appreciate.
Geraldine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:58 pm 

sixfootblonde wrote:
I sell the Barefoots and the Heather Moffett's and I ADORE the new HM Vogue saddle. Here is a link to my website with photo http://www.western-saddler.co.uk/hmfhoenix.shtml so you can se what they look like. :)

Have fun in your new one at the weekend. Be interested to hear what you think :)

oeps i saw mark rashid DVD's wauw..i have his books..they are great..now i see the DVD's..save some money :-)..
they are not avalable over here..although i have not seen them before..

And yes it is al lovely saddle (vogue)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:25 pm 

I just received his new one today on Rider Softness too ;) Really looking forward to viewing that one! :)