The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Tlove wrote:
Yes Josepha I know. I have seen it before. But I would rather visit you once with my horse then that you have to send the saddles trough mails. It just doesn't sound so safe to me. Something should happen to the saddles and so.
And then I have a good reason to visit your horses too 8) :wink:

We send saddles all over Belgium and holland, and lately Europe and even Canada, since 2004 and never a problem :)
But coming over is always better :)

Quote:
Greetings
Oh ps: I just bought a new car which can pull a trailer, so now I just have to learn to drive with a trailer and then we will come your way :wink:

Oh great! looking forward to that :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:31 pm 

I would love to try one of these! I am not sure I like the idea of a fiberglass gullet. I like the ansur and Freeform but never liked any of the western models with the gullet as my horse has a big shoulder and moves a lot so I like nothing hard on him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

The HM Vogue saddle looks very interesting indeed!

It says that it is part-treed: is it true that you don't sit on the tree, but that it's just a small ridge on the back of the saddle keeping the seat-material from bulking out to the back?

Post subject: part treed
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:50 pm 

My understanding is "part treed" can mean a few things. A rigid pommel or cantel, rigid can mean fiberglass or other material that is solid in nature. These have been developed to stabilize the front and back, and in most cases do the job admirably.
Some treeless saddles have panels on the underside that are adjustable with velcro. Critics call this flexible material a tree, which it is not.
The beauty of treeless is you can really follow the movement of the horse. You can detect the slightest bit of soreness, you become much more pro active. Behavior that I used to consider naughty, I now realize was poor saddle fit. How I used to torture my poor Briskgo.
What has made most treed saddles obsolete is all the space age material available today. Foam with different densities, open cell, closed. Velcro, for fine adjustments, fiberglass.
Ultimately, a treed saddle fits just fine, if the horse does not take one step. For most of us in this group, we are not going to jump 3 foot fences, or gallop cross country over ditches and other horse destroying obstacles, for that you might still need a saddle with a tree.
For most of us, we need only 3 things, spinal clearance, stirrup hangers that adjust to your foot size to keep you from having a "chair seat", and enough stability to keep the saddle from slipping.

I found the treeless yahoo group very informative when I was moving away from treed saddles. I followed the chat for about a year and I'm very grateful for their combined knowledge.
Geraldine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:21 pm 

Miriam wrote:
The HM Vogue saddle looks very interesting indeed!

It says that it is part-treed: is it true that you don't sit on the tree, but that it's just a small ridge on the back of the saddle keeping the seat-material from bulking out to the back?

correct :D
more info in english on this site
http://www.enlightenedequitation.com/pu ... oenix.html

this is the same as the vogue..almost.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:05 am 

The Vogue saddle looks very nice, I would really like to have one. However, I think I may end up getting a barefoot cheyenne, since they are cheaper, but still good quality. :wink:
Eventually I may get the Vogue and definitely the AND saddle when it comes out! Remember Josepha, I'm first on your list! :lol: :wink:

JoLi said
Quote:
What I don't like about it: it feels like the stirrups are placed to far backwards for me, and as a consequence it 'pulls' on my back and pelvis, giving me a backache.

Hmm... I certainly don't want that! I have also heard someone say that the cheyenne put them in a chair seat. I don't want that either! I guess it depends on the person's legs. :?: [/quote]

www.royalhorsecompany.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:53 am 

BladeRunner wrote:
JoLi said
Quote:
What I don't like about it: it feels like the stirrups are placed to far backwards for me, and as a consequence it 'pulls' on my back and pelvis, giving me a backache.

Hmm... I certainly don't want that! I have also heard someone say that the cheyenne put them in a chair seat. I don't want that either! I guess it depends on the person's legs. :?:
[/quote]

Yes, that is also the case... so it pulls on my pelvis, but I am still in a chair seat :? It is strange, if I use the Cheyenne, and I just sit in the saddle, when I want to stick my feet into the stirr ups, I have to go backwards with my legs in order to find and get them. So I think that is why if feel pulled backwards in my pelvis.. :?

And I guess you are right, I think it also depends on how you are built, and on how your horse is built. Even when I am sitting on Fay without a saddle, I still sit in a chair seat. She is a very heavy and roundbuilded horse, and I am not the skinniest myself, my upper legs are quite 'rounded' too :roll: So I guess that doesn't make it any easier to strive for a perfect dressage seat.

I am still looking for a perfect saddle for us too. I find it a very difficult matter!!

our introduction with photos: http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/viewtopic.php?t=744

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:12 am 

That is really strange JoLi! :? I guess I will just have to try one and see how I like it.
Hope you find the perfect saddle! :wink:

Brittany

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:10 pm 

I don't ride a huge amount but for ages when I did ride I used a bareback pad, my cob is very round and so comfortable. Then my husband bought me a Barefoot 'Arizona' saddle, it is very comfy, but I couldn't get used to having my feet in stirups, so I don't use them, I find I can't move naturaly with the horse in trot or canter when I have stirups, I don't know if it's because I rode too long bareback or because I just don't ride properly!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:01 pm 

Annie, I am exactly the same way! I rode bareback through the whole summer last year and now I can't stand to have my feet in my western saddle's awful stirrups! I'm hoping that it's just my saddle and that I'll find a nice treeless saddle which my legs are comfortable with!

Brittany

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:59 pm 

Yep! I like using the barebackpad too :)
I sit comfortably, my legs feel natural, relaxed and steady (which is absolutely not the case for me with the barefoot cheyenne), I like the contact I have with Fay (both seat and legs).

It is still more of a chair seat, but maybe I need to accept that that may be the only way to sit on her, I don't know.

Anyone who has any advice, ideas, or experience in that is welcome to share them with me. Please do!!

I hope to find a saddle that will suit us both. Since Fay still does have to learn how to trot with me riding her... she doesn't like to practise that with the barebackpad, and I can totally understand that.
And also for myself. Although I love bareback riding, I still want to have the choice to ride with a comfortable saddle that is good for the both of us.

It seems like finding a saddle is a journey in itsself.. :wink:

Jolanda

----------

our introduction with photos: http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/viewtopic.php?t=744

Post subject: Re: Barefoot saddles
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:36 am 

I haven't been in here for a loooooong time, but it's been nice to browse through a few of the topics.

I seem to recall (again, a looooong time ago) that there was a bit of a discussion about the Barefoot Sevilla saddle. It was fairly new then.

Has anyone tried it yet? I've heard that it's not totally treeless, but would like to know if it's still a good saddle for horse and rider.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:43 pm 

Haven't heard of that saddle, but I am really enjoying my new Barefoot London. The new spinal clearance called VPS was the up grade that was needed. Unfortunately they still don't have proper stirrup hangers I think the "0" one's are dangerous, and they still need to add more padding to the seat. I took this seat to my local upholster who add two inch piece of foam down the center, covered it with more thin foam then stitched leather rough side out over the foam. Very comfy and more "twist"
Geraldine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:55 pm 

There is an upholstery business fairly close by, yet I never thought of having someone like him modify a saddle! Wow, you learn something new every day. Makes perfect sense.

I have a Cheyenne and have been wondering about modifying the saddle so that it has more of a twist. Lately, though, I've been riding bareback at my lessons (so that I can learn to keep my balance better and not use the stirrups for balance - I have never taken riding lessons before, and have been away from horses for at least 25 years), and because of going bareback, the saddle feels more secure now.

I saw pics of the Sevilla when it was new, and really like the look of it. However, one of the Canadian dealers refuses to carry it because it's got some rigid part to it and she doesn't agree with that. She would rather that Barefoot stick to being totally treeless. I've also been told that other dealers who have tried it say that it's really stiff, even the seat. There appears to be fiberglass in it somewhere. A helpful dealer from the US was going to email Barefoot and find out exactly what's in it. It was suggested that I visit forums and see if anyone has any experience with it, so that's why I posted a message. It's not that I'm unhappy with my Cheyenne, I was just thinking about having two saddles :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:01 pm 

This is what I love about these detachable seats that the Barefoot and other treeless saddle makers carry. If you like I can send pictures of the modifications I made with the London Seat, easy peasy. And only $35 What was most helpful for this horse is he is still slightly down hill and on the forehand, so I'm more secure, not feeling pitched between his ears.

Geraldine