The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: My homemade cordeo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 am 

I think... the horse could step in the cordeo, when the cordeo is right after his ears, and the head is very low... that is the reason I always 'braid it into her hair' IN that way... she must be very atheltic to be able to step in it.
Leather can break when a lot of pressure is used so it is not unbreakable... nontheless... if your horse steps in it and panics... I myself would like to have it break more easily.

My thought: just prevent the horse from stepping into it... act girly and make a little braid in the hair around one pice of the cordeo (don't know how to explain, will try to take pictures soon).

The only point I worked on was: 'where to put the buckle and where to put the ring' because I don't want the buckle to be lying on her manes, nor do I want the buckle to get all entangled with her manes. So that's a thing to think about.

Next one I'll make I'm thinking about adding two more rings, so that with longreining I can attach the reins to two seperate rings, and not one on the ring and one to the buckle... this works, but not like a charm ;)

But... it's been a while I've been longreining, and even longer since longreining with the cordeo... such a shame :blush: .

It's not hard to make one just try practice and see what comes out, and try again (got a fantastic bag filled with leather from a friend... so I'll see what I can make from that... starting with a new wallet. not horse related but still needed ;) )

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:21 pm 

KDS wrote:
Thank you, I will, as soon as I have the time to do so ;)

One thing I discovered: After wearing it for a while... the first time you clean it up... it stretches up quite a lot!
It grows a couple of centimeters :ieks:
Fina's bridle fits better now then before. But something to keep in mind the next time I make something :yes:

It is strange that it stretches, what type of leather do you have?
You has to look for (tuigleder) harness leather, has had an intensive process.
Chrome tanned leather, is mostly good but it is bad chemical for horse en human.
But it takes years before you know how to see the difference, they like to sold normal leather as good harness leather.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 pm 

For as far as I know I used 'tuigleer' but it was rather thin...
You seem to know a lot about this! Interesting!
Where did you learn? (still trying to find a way to get some education... although I seem to enjoy the 'trial and error process' as well ;) )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:59 pm 

I did send you PM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:02 pm 

I want to show you my second piece I did with leather. It´s a gift for Anna & Lily. Lily just turned 5 yesterday! :^:
It´s a standard lunge line, I just removed the metal clasp and attached a leather strap instead. I like it more that way - no more clicking metal on the nose... The sewing is far from perfect, but given the tools I got, it turned out quite alright. Don´t know if it stands the test of Lily´s gallop though :ieks:

Image Image

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:19 pm 

Very nice and such a pretty blue! :applause: :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:02 pm 

Wow, you make great tack! I'm thinking of making my own. Do you have any advice as to what tools I should buy and where to get leather?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:37 am 

I buy my stuff in Holland, my advice is to simply try and figure out. I've tried several ways to get the needle through the leather. And a device to pinch the wholes first is a must have because with only a needle... it won't work (or your fingers will hurt a lot :sad: ).

It's fun to do, try something simple and then just 'trial and error' has been my way... looking on the internet you can probably find ways of stitching leather :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:42 am 

Okay thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:18 am 

Keep a bar of that crude yellow laundry soap by your work. Run the needle in for each stich you are about to make.

Find a hunk of metal with an indentation (to keep the back end of the needle from slipping out of your control - I used to use a very heavy soup spoon, that is thick enough the eye end of the needle can't accidentally punch through and hit your fingers. Ouch.

Between those two helpers you should be able to put a standard leather workers needle through fairly easily. I take it you are using a leather workers' stitching pony (or larger ones, stitching horse) - two boards bolted together upright that can be clamped tight by knee pressure on an extension of the bottom of one of them. A light spring between releases the leather quickly by parting the boards enough to move the leather piece.

The soap idea is ancient information.

If you have a pair of shoes repaired, those with leather soles, and look very closely at the stitches you are likely to see some of this residue soap unless the repair person has cleaned it very carefully.

Of course shoe repair people are going to know all the tricks of handling leather stitching and fastening. That's the place to go for definitive answers.

Donald, Altea, and Bonnie Cupcake