The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:05 pm 

Karen wrote:
That is a handsome knot! I love the idea of the medallion.COOL! I really like the end tassle too! :clap:

I don't think the rope needs more body. Just as you don't want stiff reins, you really don't need a stiff cordeo either. I look for thin, old reins to make my cordeos...soft from years of use, as reins they have their own history. Some good, some bad. But gone on to become something new and liberating. It's lovely!

I just went to tack sale, and I can't help myself...I found a couple old reins. they felt worn and smooth and soft...had to have them!!!

I too love old leather gear. I had to try hard not to cry when my son told me some fool threw a cigarette out of a passing car, lite our property on fire and my A-frame tack and storage building burnt. They managed to salvage a tiny bit of my belongings in there, but my wonderful plaited rawhide bridles, and hackamore headsets, all my library but a dozen books, my custom western training saddle, my Pariani (now THAT does bring a tear) that carried me over so many jumps on such good horses, all gone. Much more of course, but not as serious to me as those above.

By the way, the Alamar knot will tell you, should you use it, if you have pulled too hard (that's why I prefer just a little more body) as the knot will 'upset,' that is lose it's shape and just turn into a fist. A tool to remind you to be light.

I think it kind of fitting that your gear can record for you, even this crudely, an error, but not break or fall off.

Kool, no?

Donald.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:37 pm 

Quote:
I wonder if you meant, with the word "hoelahoep," what we call a Hula Hoop?

Did you twirl the "hoelahoep" around your middle, or an arm or leg, and try to keep them in the air?

One can still find Hula Hoops in toy departments in large stores here in the U.S.

And the colors, oh my. Wild.

Interesting idea. I've got Bonnie living with the tassle end of rope reins hanging where she can play with them, and she does. Loves to suck on them.

Also two pool noodles stuck in the wall bracing over head for her to wonder about. If I leave them down she chews them. Probably that's not good for her already delicate digestion.

So now I must get her a few hula hoops. :yes:

Donald

sorry donald just wrote it wrong. :blush:
But you understand me very well!! Just what i meant!!!!
i saw that Yvonne use them too for playing stuff in the paddock for their horses.
So you can give it more variations

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:02 am 

That looks great Donald, thanks for the picture. I've got an extra mecate rein lying around that I'm going to try this with. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:13 pm 

Quote:
By the way, the Alamar knot will tell you, should you use it, if you have pulled too hard (that's why I prefer just a little more body) as the knot will 'upset,' that is lose it's shape and just turn into a fist. A tool to remind you to be light.

OH, I understand! And yes, that IS cool!!!! A contactometer! :funny: :funny: :funny:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:11 pm 

That knot is really good, I already had it with my reins before, if I couldn't get them off after riding something was wrong, that really helped!

Didn't think about putting them on a cordeo also!

(so many cordeo's to make and to try out and work with, and so little time)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:11 pm 

The "making a cordeo out of an old rein" is so easypeasy!

If you get the good end of the rein you can just use the gesp (what's the english word? :huh:) to make them to eachother in a circle, gotta go test it this afternoon (asked my teacher to let me go early today, and lucky me he did! Well he had to leave early himself...)