The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:19 pm 

I've been using an all leather Lindell type sidepull on my two Icelandics for about 12 years & have found this sidepull to be their personal favorite out of all the others we've tried. How I know it is Lalli & Selur's favorite is that they go into the tack room & choose which one they want. I also show all tack for the ponies approval before I put anything on. They are groomed loose, so they can walk away, push the piece of tack away, or lick & chew. I use the Lindell as a grooming halter as well as a riding head guide for our trail riding. It is very good to start horses with or ground drive because it give a very clear stable cue from either side of the nose w/o poll pressure or jaw pressure. It is very mild, so may not be for all horses. If your horse can be ridden safely in a halter, then this would be a good one to try. This one is custom made by my husband & runs $145.00USF

I also have ridden in the 4 way bridle from Sensation
that converts into a cross under sidepull (like Cook's), sidepull, regular bitted bridle, or halter.
At $135.00 CDN it is a very good price & in Beta Biothane. It is nicely made , has versatility &stays very stable on the head for clear cues.

Before we received permission from the TTEAM main office to make an all leather sidepull, I used the TTEAM rawhide nosepiece Lindell for a few years. I did wrap the lariat noseband in latex for horse comfort. Horses seemed to go well in this & liked it very much before they got to try the all leather one that is their current favorite. TTEAM still makes this very popular item. I think the Lindell is about $125.00USF.

Least favorite of all we have tried was the Cook's cross under. After the second time used, my ponies turned & ran when I walked out of the tack room with it. I took that as a no.

We also tried a sidepull with a curb chain, but again
my horses like the mildest form of head gear possible.

Kaaren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:01 pm 

This a interesting way to test bridles.. I test mine by riding the horse in them and seeing how relaxed they are and how easily they respond to my rein vibrations.
I also wrap the bridle around my elbow and se how my elbow feels