The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Bareback Question
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:09 pm 

Today, for the first time, I suggested to Freckles that I ride bareback.

He got quite anxious. I'm confused. I expected him to feel better about bareback than saddled.

Do I have the only horse that is NOT happy to NOT wear tack?

Should I try again? Perhaps with a saddle-cloth or something on his back? But then how do I secure it? I don't want to put a surcingle on because of pressure on his spine. I also don't want to be slipping around because there's a cloth just lying on his back and I'm sitting on it!

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:35 pm 

Oh, no, Freckles is not the only one. Caspian usually highly dislikes bareback. He has a very weak back, which, although it's getting better, drops down right behind his withers, right where I'd sit. I think the extra pressure of my seat just makes it too painful. Unless we're having a really good day, he has a fit if I try to ride bareback. :? :shock:

It helps ENORMOUSLY to have a very thick bareback pad, so I know the weight distribution is key for him. As far as securing the pad, I have a bareback pad (thick fleece) that I double pad with my memory foam pad, then secure with a western girth. It's not super-secure, but it works fine for me.

I really suspect he'll get much better once he actually builds muscle, but at the rate he's building it, he'll be 40 years old and too senile to care anymore when I get on bareback... :lol: :wink:

Did Freckles get worried when you got on, when you moved around, or some time else? Because that could give you a clue as to what he finds worrisome. Caspian hates the mounting, and when I scoot my seat into a better position, telling me that it's painful. Once we're moving, he's fine, so I don't think it's the way I'm sitting that's blocking him. Is it the same with Freckles?

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:37 pm 

I just remembered to look at your avatar picture, and Freckles' back looks similar to Caspian's -- a dip right where you'd sit bareback. Has he developed muscle since that picture was taken, or is he about the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:37 pm 

Hannah, he has improved sooo much since that picture! He has decided that it feels good to move "in frame" and does it a lot when being ridden, so his top-line is filling out very fast!

He got worried when I lifted my knee towards his back as if I was going to mount. It's almost as if no-one's ever sat him bareback before, so the saddle is his little comfort-zone! I think that's wierd! Did his breeder back him only with a saddle? How strange!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:00 pm 

Quote:
He got worried when I lifted my knee towards his back as if I was going to mount.

Oh, I see. Were you mounting differently (like from a block, instead of from the ground using the stirrup)?

Quote:
He has decided that it feels good to move "in frame" and does it a lot when being ridden, so his top-line is filling out very fast!

That's so exciting!! What a great feeling! :applause: :applause:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:41 pm 

He was never taught about a mounting block before I got him, and he's VERY tall, so I've been teaching him. I've mounted him many times now from the block, and every time it's a bit quicker. :lol: He keeps on backing up to ask for another treat!

I don't think he's concerned about the leg movement, cos when I mount from the block with the saddle I don't use the stirrup either.

I think it's this idea of "NO SADDLE!" that he finds wierd! I did sit on him bareback for about 3 minutes today, and the poor, confused creature couldn't walk forwards, so I think it's just new and different and he'll get over it - he does go backwards nicely, and round and round in really small circles! :lol:

Yeah, I love that he now often "gives" me a nice head position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Personally I have very hard 'seatbones' so Evita does not like the bareback riding at all ;) I never tried a barebackpad but the stirrups of a saddle sure keep me more balanced which is better for Evita I guess? I heard about there also being barebackpads with stirrups but they way to much weight is on the spine with those, I guess that can be true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:14 am 

Hi

My horse doesn't mind in walk and trot. In canter she doesn't like it. Probably my movement isn't good. She has les problem when we do right canter but when we do left canter she really doesn't like it. I think it has something to do with her hips being unequal. I haven't tried with such a pad yet, is quite expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:59 am 

I posted a "rocking horse" clip in the video section which shows what I'm talking about, and also how he "can't" walk when I'm on him bareback - he even goes on tippytoes when he's being led! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:41 am 

hmmmm...it's a strange problem. I have never had any trouble riding bareback on both Bo and Maya....actually they seemed to prefer it when I ride without a saddle...much more relaxed.

I always figured they were happier without saddles because they could feel my energy more as I was directly in contact with them and didn't have a saddle blocking the flow of energy between us. They were always much easier to calm and keep relaxed when I ride bareback....(and my ample frame must mean my seatbones are quite well padded! lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:28 pm 

Bianca wrote:
Personally I have very hard 'seatbones' so Evita does not like the bareback riding at all ;) I never tried a barebackpad but the stirrups of a saddle sure keep me more balanced which is better for Evita I guess? I heard about there also being barebackpads with stirrups but they way to much weight is on the spine with those, I guess that can be true.

I've seen several bareback pads with stirrups -- the two problems that I have with them is that they aren't particularly safe (they can slide sideways if your weight is off balance and then you're stuck sideways with your feet in stirrups) and they also don't generally have the stirrups placed well -- you naturally reach into a "chair seat" because they tend to be attached too far forward.

I hadn't thought about the weight on the spine, Bianca, that's a really good point! It certainly seems like it would pull weight down to your feet in a pretty narrow way.

Glen, how's Freckles doing with bareback nekkidness?

:-)

Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:01 pm 

Leigh, he's now doing the "rocking horse" EVERY time I suggest mounting him! :lol: which absolutely cracks me up! And he still "tiptoes" when we're nekkid, which also cracks me up! So we spends our "practise bareback" times rolling on the floor and chewing carrots, but he does seem to be less anxious every time I try - so it's a hoot that's going places!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:50 pm 

Oh, the two of you are just too funny...

:D :D :D

You've got a whole new breed...there are Tennessee Walkers, Rocky Mountain Horses, and now....drum roll, please...Appaloosa Rockers!

Very rare, very special...

:lol:

Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:55 pm 

Leigh,

You owe me a clean keyboard - I did a Karen with my coffee!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:01 pm 

Damn, this forum is getting expensive...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leigh