The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Spirit and Skylark
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:08 pm 

A friend from work came over and took some wonderful shots of the me and the girls... Such a fun evening! She also filmed Skylark chasing the tiger tarpaulin - i'll have to try and get the video from her at some point.

As you can see, Skylark and I are partners in crime :D

Now joined by the beautiful Spirit

Spirit's eyes are puffy from pollen, she's on anti histamines now which work amazingly.

Some great itchy-scratchy pictures of the Skylark :funny:

Larky is also getting good at mimicry..

Post subject: Re: Spirit and Skylark
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Such wonderful pictures of you three! And Spirit is so incredibly beautiful and looks like such a fantastic person. :love: Perhaps we should have one of the next AND summer meetings at your place so that I can see her in real life... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:21 pm 

Indeed beautiful pictures, so expressive and playful and connected.
you & Skylark look so alike in some way, so tuned to each other.
and spirit looks so full of spirit. a big feminine, spiritual, generous creature.

Thank you :f:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:27 pm 

These pictures just make me feel like I am there, it is like I'm next to one of the horses giving them a scratch... Really nice pictures!

Ps. if she reacts good to the histamines and if you are interested, there is a homeopatic version of histamines, here they are called histaminum, it workes in the same way, for me at least. I always believe this is healthier, but I cannot say if this is so, I am not a scientist after all...

Big hugs
Barbara

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:45 am 

Anat, you're not the first person to say that me and Skylark look alike! I think we really are on the same wavelength, whatever that might be in our funny little world :funny:. You're right about Spirit too, she's got a wonderful generous and deep soul. Romy, you know i'm sure Spirit would agree that everybody is welcome to and AND summer meeting at our place someday :yes:. Hehe.

Thank you very much Barbara, i'll look up those histamines. I'm glad you all liked the pictures! I don't have a good camera, so it's rare for me to get some nice shots.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:41 pm 

Spirit tried out the treeless saddle we're trialing today :smile:. It seems to fit fairly well, although it looks big to me but I don't think that reflects how it actually fits.

She wasn't sure about it, but allowed me to take it on and off quite a bit, and enjoyed the process with all the treats.

As you can see it's pretty muddy where the ponies live at the moment!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:46 pm 

The other day Bill and I decided to do some target practice (please note we have no idea what we are doing - but luckily the arrows have blunted ends! ;) ) in the ponies field. I would love to do horseback archery one day, so it's good for the girls to get used to flying arrows and humans concentrating on a target. Spirit watched from a safe distance, whilst Skylark was thrilled to bits and i'm pretty sure she's decided that archery is her calling too. :yes:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:08 pm 

Haha, looks like fun. You sure have piqued Skylarks interest - seems like she's into martial arts 8).
One tip I can give you from my meagre archery experience: if you draw the bow with your left hand, nock the arrow on the right side of the bow. When you release the string, it will make a slight curve to the right, thus pushing the arrow straight from behind. I have never tested, if it makes much of a difference, but it sounds like a cool thing to know :funny:.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm 

I love the idea of horseback archery! (since I watched the kid's movie 'Brave")

I've been looking at horse bows and I've been dreaming. I did do some practice with a long bow but I was really, really sore the next day.

I thought it's the prefect thing to get the boys into because they would have to have a good relationship with their horse to have their hands free for the bow and arrow.

This is my favorite I found on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8M00PRbI3c

Uli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:08 pm 

i LOVE the pictures ( and it looks really good with you) but i like the most the picture that looked like you merge into one creature with human body with a horse head :love:

i don't think i'm myself into archery (or horseback riding these days ;) ) but i love it that you can just spend the time in the pasture and do your own human thing while the horses are free to join in or not and just share the space.
ohhh having space... and a green one....
you are very VERY lucky and the black girls too :kiss:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:11 am 

Thanks guys :) Anat you're right, I am lucky and love being able to just share space with my black beauties - not quite so glamorous in the pouring rain yesterday though and with a hole in one of my wellies! :roll:
I'm sure Skylark wanted to be the archer in that picture where we have 'merged' into one :D

Uli, that's my favourite video i've found too! It's so inspiring! In fact I think I may watch it again before I go out to the girls...
Have you ever subscribed to epona.tv? They have a series on at the moment about horseback archery, that I expect you would enjoy...

I will have to try that method next time I have a practice Volker 8) Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:28 am 

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out now!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:01 pm 

The girls and I took part in horse agility at the main livery yard last week :D.

It's the first time Spirit has had a positive experience at the yard, and she really loved it. This yard is where her previous owner (the yard owner) tried to introduce her to riding etc way too soon for her, and she got terrified of anything to do with humans. Wow has she come on a long way!

I was concerned Skylark might be mean to the other horses, because she holds quite a lot of angst and aggression towards some horses. I found as long as I was animated - in the right way - and involved in the different obstacles, then she remained more interested in the obstacles than the other horses too. She still tried to go for some horses, but we managed to get our focus back on the agility :D

The first few are Spirit and I going through and around the barrels:

Skylark was great on the seesaw and found the balance point at one point, but Bill didn't manage to capture that moment

Cuddles with Skylark...

I wasn't too keen on the teacher's natural horsemanship methods, but me and Spirit and Skylark just took what we wanted out of it - namely lots of fun obstacles to play on! I was the only person there with a bum bag and treats. Hehe!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:59 pm 

Looks like you had a nice time , and nice weather too :D
It is rainy and windy now , up here is the North . It feels as if Autumn has come all in a few days , but I hope summer will come back again :yes: . It is such a shame you cant make it up here for when Romy comes :sad: , you are always welcome to come up and stay when you can :green:
Hug's
Ali :kiss: