The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:28 pm 

this is the parelli one, my friend has it and never uses it. She loves riding in my barefoot, so we exchange our gear from time to time. I haven't got one myself, I used to ride with a girth for on a blanket and then just a saddle cloth.

I don't know whether to buy my own or not, but I do not want to spend more money at the moment. So...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:48 pm 

lovely photo!!

but i have a question, why do you use this sort of saddle? why not riding without nothing?
i don't whant to hurt you, really,just give a inforamtion.this saddle is not good for horse. all of traditional saddles and good saddle without tree have in the middle, a space where the top of bones are protect of wheigt. when you ride correctly whithout saddle your anatomy have the same little space. This sorte of saddle not. (oh i don't find my words) The belt press directly the top of vertebra bones! it's not so great, try on you press directly on the top. It's just a information, freindly ln

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:15 am 

The girth looks very padded and it is hard to tighten these types of pads to the point of hurting a horse.

I do dislike that large buckle under your leg-it is pushing your leg infront of it.

Great picture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:50 am 

I made my own parelli style pad with suede. I took tons of measurements of my friend's parelli pad and got everything I needed to make my own. I had an upholster do the stitching on the top of the pad.

I also detested the knot right under my leg, so I made two shorter girth straps with holes punch in them and just got a bit longer western girth with buckles on it. Then it was lying very flat and didn't get in my way anymore (plus I could let my legs hang longer too).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Ln wrote:
this saddle is not good for horse. all of traditional saddles and good saddle without tree have in the middle, a space where the top of bones are protect of wheigt.

A lot of real treeless saddles are made without spine clearance, like for example those of Heather Moffet (although her latest does have it?), the Ansur etc... They claim that if the saddle really follows the shape of the withers and back (so isn't straight cut but curving), you don't need spine clearance as you have already distributed your weight left and right from the spine through your seatbones.

About the girth: that won't push down on the vertebrae if you don't tighten it really hard - which is impossible because then the pad is deformed. The problem you mention however does arise when you attach stirrups to it, because then you do place a large part of your bodyweight on a small leather belt that runs over one or two vertebrae, really crushing those! Also then you get the problem that the entire pad is put under more downwards pressure, pulling the center down hard on all the other vertebrae too.

So in that case your story rings really connects with me, but when riding without stirrups there just isn't that intense downwards pull because you just sit on your seatbones and your legs hang down from the sides too without pushing down, which happens when you use stirrups.

By the way, now I do notice the large buckle too- isn't that a bit annoying under your leg? Do you feel it, or is it Sjors' belly that's pushing your leg forwards? 8)

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:34 am 

Hai Barbara

I love your picture :love:
It's really great to see a horse who can move freely with a rider on his back (without al kinds of side reins and unnecessary stuff attached)
Just an inspirational picture!

Yvonne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:40 pm 

Whow Barbara! Amazing picture, he runs so great!! So so so great!!
Would this kind of barebackpad excist with stirrups? I think this would be fun riding.

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

There are quite a few barebackpads with stirrups, but the problem with them is that the stirrup attachment often is a leather belt of only a few cms wide running over 1 or 2 vertebrae on the back. If you then put pressure on the stirrups, then you push with all your bodyweight down on that vertebra, which can cause quite a bit of discomfort. The stirrups actually were a very good reason to invent the treed saddle! :wink:

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:05 pm 

Thank you for the information Miriam.
:D

I wish I knew your world

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:38 pm 

I took about 300 pics of Beau and Pascha playing in the snow, they were wonderful! They kept jumping and running and playing with all their pasture toys :) rolling barrels, jumping on them, trowing with the cone(I missed the moment Pascha trew it on his own but) and rolling around... They were going crazy outside :) and they really showed off!
So I'll try to show you some of the entertainment Kim and I had on monday :) luckily I wasn't able to get to work because of the weather and I had a great time!!!

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

Great pictures, Barbara!! :)

Wow, in that fourth picture Beau looks just stunning. It seems like he has lost some weight?

This snow is just wonderful for playing in it and I am ever so happy each time I can race around in it with my horses. I hope it won´t melt too soon. :smile:

When are you going to take the horses home?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:51 pm 

How does Pascha get so dirty in nice clean snow??? :rofl:

My friend's pinto is also usually every color of the rainbow on her white areas...including green in the summer!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:23 pm 

great pics lucky you with snow :smile: 300 pics did you have enjoy it also?? that is almost not possible :green: hard working to take that many pics

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:32 pm 

wow, that 4th picture Barbara, he is so stunning!
Wonderful shot.

What a joy to see them like that. Did you just turn them out?
You also have so much snow, down here there is just a frosty layer.

I wish I knew your world

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:59 pm 

Thanks for all the wonderfull comments...
I too think he is a very handsome boy ;)

@ Romy and Tlove:We'll prepare the pasture for the summer. We talked with the owner and he said he would try to leave them outside as much as possible and we decided not to argue anymore, they don't seem to sad being inside. This pics were taken when they were just out. But they always show off when we have a camera :)

@ Karen: we didn't notice he was dirty untill he got in the snow... then white isn't that white anymore...

@ Inge: They ran around for mor than half an hour showing off for us, so I got to enjoy it too :) You cannot imagine how fast you can get 300 pictures on your camera :) I only took pics for about 10 minutes I think...

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 8 Next