The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:01 am 
Site Admin

Perhaps it's just a moment, but in case you are looking for a way for Tequila to get some weight off her forehand, you could try to lean not towards her but a little more back (just imagine you are talking to someone behind you). This might get her to shift her focus and center of gravity more towards you and thus backwards as well. Or at least that's what works for my horses. :f:

But again, I think you are doing such an amazing job. :clap: Perhaps you can come and help me with my horses one day. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:56 am 

Nice pictures! Tequila looks so... smart and proud even so calm and attentive. :love: Wonderful horses and an inspiring human! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:13 pm 

Love the pics of your new herd member! What cool faces he pulls for you, he seems a nice photomodel ;-)

Romy wrote:
Perhaps it's just a moment, but in case you are looking for a way for Tequila to get some weight off her forehand, you could try to lean not towards her but a little more back (just imagine you are talking to someone behind you). This might get her to shift her focus and center of gravity more towards you and thus backwards as well. Or at least that's what works for my horses.

That's a great description. I'll try to keep this one in mind, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:39 pm 

Thank you everyone, :kiss:

Romy, it's a brilliant comment, i think you have a great point there.
although tequila was not 100% there yesterday she was really trying to do her best. i feel she really wants to play-dance with me, she usually gives me the impression she is so proud of her dance & love it. but especially yesterday kept falling forwards, curling and hanging on her front end instead of releasing it.
the half halts helped a bit or me just putting my hand upwards as if pulling her upwards from her wither
like in this image

but after reading your comment i think maybe this is helping Tequila shift weight backwards since this is helping me balance a bit backwards and upwards like you suggested.
this is such a sharp observation.

by the way Tequila woke up today very sore and lame, it could be an abscess - i really hope so (maybe this is why she felt so stiff and unbalanced) but surely something was not quite right with her. and the main "take home" point i got from Ylvie observing our games is focus more on collection and weight shift backwards than on side movements.

another interesting point was ylvie's suggestion to improve Geronimo's school-halt through his sitting.
she suggested to somehow combine sitting cue with his current school halt cue which is mainly weight shift backwards.

we tried some scratching of his hind end (which i played with before) but it is now another cue for Geronimo for weight shift backwards and not the bend in joints (which is an issue with him anyway). but we were asking for sitting in order to look at my sitting cue for him, i'm not so sure if this will work out since Geronimo's sitting cue is not separated (at least right now) from lying down first. but interestingly throughout the process and pictures taking i found this picture of him getting up from lying down (without going into sitting)

so i was thinking maybe this is a moment i should reinforce.
or this:

its just more options to look into for "101 ways to get the school halt" or encourage weight carriage and bend in hind legs (if this will work out i will report it to the school halt diary )

Last edited by anat on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:52 pm 

This are really nice pictures. My daughter´s boyfriend looks so sweet. The one picture with the dog give we it to Pia´s birthday. I think she will love it. When I´m 18 years old I come to you and my son in law Geronimo. :)

Last edited by Nora on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:43 pm 

Thank You Nora :kiss:
cant wait to hug you in person and would love to have you here play with Geronimo so we can both learn from you.
i hope i can come visit you, Romy and your amazing daughter (our IDOL :yes: ) Pia and her 2 big boys too someday soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:01 am 

This is a beautyful :sun: :sun: Picture from Geronimo :sun:

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:41 pm 

Geronimo's 4th Birthday, wohoo!!!
the two of us went for a short birthday walk in the street at noon
and we will bake some birthday's cookies when Uri will wake up...

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:08 pm 

:funny: I especially like the zombie picture at the end :funny:

Happy birthday Geronimo! :^: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

He looks so handsome! And he seems to like manholes just like Lily does!? Those weird ponies... :roll: :green:

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

Happy birthday to my handsome, little son-in-law! :f: :f: :f: :f: :f: :f: :f: :f:

Lovely pictures, he just always looks like such a gentleman, especially when compared to his wild, crazy girlfriend that we have here. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:25 am 

Awww what lovely pictures, really bright and happy and sunshiney :f:. Happy Birthday Geronimo!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:48 pm 

Volker got me a bit sentimental, looking at old pictures so here they are:

Geronimo when i first saw him at his breeder's place in January 2011 (he was a 1.5 years old then)

then 2 months later on his first day here:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:55 pm 

and Tequila as a year old filly (this was in 2004)

about a year later

and the when she was about 4 (still with a bit :sad: )

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:01 pm 

and i don't have young Hercules pictures as i known him as an adult school horse (and i have several pictures of him under saddle with my patients - but that too sad). but i do have pictures from his first day here - as he just slept and rested a big part of the day looking relived (this was in spring 2009)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:15 pm 

I like Tequila's color very much. Reminds me a bit of crème brülée. :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next