The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:10 pm 

And you are welcome to share pics with your vet and co. Just make sure they see the prettified ones first ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:52 am 

annaliese wrote:
Donald, when you said
Quote:
And that she really didn't know much and didn't care to, for that matter. That's boredom, if not being intimidated
, I was sure your "in-" word was going to be "institutionalized". The horse equivalent? AH well, Belle knew more when I met her, but she had much the same detached attitude of her world. She came around.

Some might not know what "institutionalized" really means as you use, or I might use it. We do because of a common shared professional view. But it's the same thing. Shut down (that flat affect appearance). Manipulative. Disingenuous. Incongruent . Distant. Confused easily. Slow. Learning disabled.

I believe, just as in humans, in horses these are often the result of stress beyond the organisms capacity to cope. Some horses, even the same breed, will go the other direction. Hyperactive, unable to hold attention for long. Gosh, ADHD. Now where have we heard of that?

And bottom line, an inability to attach without very special handling (treatment).

annaliese wrote:
I know Althea has an ember in there, it is just a matter of what sort and what it wants to become and how to help it along. You and Bonnie are the creatures for the job!

Thank you for the encouragement. I have hope.

Donald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:38 am 

:f: In some ways more important, Donald, now Altea has hope - because she has you, Kate and Bonnie.

:yes: :thumright:

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:11 am 

Nothing but work! Here are just a few previews of my latest collaboration with http://www.rovinghorsehenna.com.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm 

Glen Grobler wrote:
:f: In some ways more important, Donald, now Altea has hope - because she has you, Kate and Bonnie.

:yes: :thumright:

Annaliese, excuse me please for writing in your thread, but I wished to retain the context for Glen.

Hi Glen, you are right. She's becoming much more animated and energetic lately. I think her hooves are becoming more sound, and she has lost a lot of weight, so much so that I'm concerned and looking for safe ways to put a little fat on an Insulin Resistant horse without risking founder, and laminitis.

She even jumps over the little pile of tree limbs the snow storms have brought down that we see Bonnie jumping in one of her pictures by Annaliese. And Altea canters away from the jump, something I've never see her do before on her own.

Her eyes look good too. Less pain and discomfort. She's still a gentle soul, and she's still a little worried about what the human wants, but she actually bossed Kare around the other day, nicely.

Kate had been using the hard rubber curry to get some of the looser winter hair off, and set it down to switch to the brush. Altea reached over, very deliberately, with her nose and pushed it off the cart, and then looked at Kate, as Kate describes it, with a look that very plainly said, "I don't like that damn thing, stop hurting me with it. Give me nice soft brushing."

Kate says Altea was quite content after that.

She also reports Altea doing for her what Altea has not done for me. When Kate rolled the toy foam soccer ball around she stopped and told Altea to touch it, and pointed, and Altea put her nose on the ball. She hasn't touched anything on my request with her nose, except her treats, of course. :funny:

I still believe that horses carry a genetically imprinted instinct about human women because women were more likely than not the first "tamers." Likely I think even the first riders of the horse.

While I'm the horse feeder and always have 'treat' stashed in my pockets, more often than not, if we both are about the same distance from Altea, she turns toward Kate more often. I have to give the "come" cue to get her away from Kate.

Bonnie, of course, considers us both more articulated and animated scratching posts, but she's starting to mug a little for treats too.

Donald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:06 pm 

Such a renewal for Althea!! SO exciting. Beginning to let herself live a little :f: :f: :f:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:10 am 

annaliese wrote:
Such a renewal for Althea!! SO exciting. Beginning to let herself live a little :f: :f: :f:

I just stood around on the upper deck a few minutes ago watching Bonnie on her daily run (now broken up with more grazing, of course) and watching Kate groom and play with Altea. It's so pleasing to watch them together. In a way both strangers to each others kind but learning about each other.

Altea was trying little tricks on Kate, such as trying to snatch a bite of grass (a no no because of her IR if you remember). Or slyly trying to upset the grooming box on top of the mounting block. Once again going after that annoying rubber curry she seems to not like much.

She didn't try while Kate was grooming, or even just standing there, only when Kate was looking up and talking with me, distracted from watching Altea. :roll:

Donald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:44 am 

Wow - we had so many Bonnie posts, that I forgot to throw in some more of my other pics:
One of my faves - typical Portland winter!
My friend's horse - saddlebred. She stopped showing him : )
My mentor's old Connemara stallion. peaceful.
At the therapeutic barn last summer.
Rhubarb got moon blindness but seems to be doing better. But he moved ; (
Old lovers who got to retire to the field together.
One of FLight's last babies. A very pretty one, too. And all saddlebred.
Therapeutic barn.
My pal Ike at Return to Freedom Mustang Sanctuary
My freind's son at the therapeutic barn I taught at in Maryland.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:32 pm 

oh boy some really nices pics. not all but wow....so goooood!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

OOHHH WOOOOOWWW :applause: :applause: Soooo beautiful!! Really in the moment :f:

And the painted horses.... sooo stunning!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:01 pm 

oh all so stunning
the one with the connamera!! Perfect!!! Just perfect!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:00 am 

Hey folks - I am traveling to Big Sur and the Bay Area in California the second week of August. At the end of the month and the beginning of September, I will be in the New York and Connecticut areas. Anyone want to meet up? Know some sweet photo places around? Something pretty you want to show off? Etc.? Let me know! I look forward to the day when I tell all you Europeans that I am coming to your place soon! Maybe I will also head into central NY State, too. If all goes well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:03 am 

Well, all the parts for my equigraphic.com site have long been in my friend's hands to be coded. It appears that this is turning into one of those deals where I wait since I am the queen of barter, not cash. But, I can't wait to share the images with you any longer. So, I have made a simple gallery where at least the pictures can be seen. Please let me know what you think, and I will of course let you know as soon as the real site goes live, too! Thanks!

http://www.annaliesemoyer.com/horses/equigraphicinitialgalleries/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:09 am 

STUNNING!!! :yeah: :cheer: :bowdown: :yeah: :cheer: :bowdown:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:12 am 

You makin' me smile Karen!

:f: :f: :f:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next