The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:11 pm 

Hi everybody,
last weekend I gave a clicker-info-day at the stable of my former riding teacher.
Now she put some pictures of it on her website - here is the link:
http://www.miryamhusain.de/
Click on the second picture from above on the right side, then there opens a new window with more pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:19 pm 

cool!
did you get good reactions? It looks fantastic, you showed some things that should have made people think. What kind of an audience did you have?
very well done! Were you nervous???
I would love to see filux in real life, it's such a beautiful horse...

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:27 am 

Very nice!!!!! I love the running with the tarp! Yeehaw!!!!! :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:45 am 
Site Admin

That´s great, congratulations! :) :)

Did the participants try the clicker too or was it only you working with the horses? How did it work with the horse who did not know the clicker yet? And what were people´s reactions? From the pictures it looks like you had a great day! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:40 pm 

nice!! and good pictures :applause:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:25 pm 

Thank you for looking and for your feedback!
I'll tell you a little more about it:
Yes I WAS nervous :ieks: . But as (nearly) everything worked quite well I felt better after a short while.

I had 6 participants. I started showing the things I do with Filux, all the nice little tricks we know using the clicker. Filux was absolutely great: :f: He did everything very easily and in the best way he can :kiss: , it was as if he understood that we had to convience some people of our way :f: :yes:

After that I did a theory-part: I explained the history and scientific backround of clicker training and how it works. And I explained a little of my (AND-)philosophy and how I use the clicker and how I work in general. The participants didn't react much and didn't ask questions so I was a little bit unsure how they thought about it. But in the end when I asked, they said they liked it and it was interesting and three of them want to try to work with the clicker.

Than in the third part we worked with the horse of one participant (Heike), you see it on the pictures. His owner does a lot of groundwork and he already knows a lot of things and is very clever. Heike did the first steps herself with my instruction and they both got it very quickly. Then we thaught him to touch a target with his nose, which he got after a few tries. Me and Heike worked with him by turns. Then we tried to improve some exercises he already knows with the help of the clicker. All that was very interesting for me, because I "Clickered" only with three horses before.

One thing was very interesting for me: During the day I realized that I'm not really a "clicker-person" that means that I see the clicker as a very useful tool and very helpful but it's only one thing among many - do you know what I mean? I realized, especially when I worked with the other horse, that my strength is not the clicker but my feeling for the horse, my experience with many horses and that I'm quite skilful in showing the horse what I want. And the clicker is just helping with all that but it's not the crucial element...

Because of that, I would prefer to call such an event "ground-Work-clinic" in future, but especially at this place of my former riding teacher I couldn't do that, because this is her "territory". She does "groundwokr-clinics" herself and invited me fo rthe clicker-day because this is something she doesn't teach herself. So if I want to do another day at this place I would have to call it "clicker-info part 2" :roll:

One nice side effect: The covered arena over there has a great ground: And Filux with his arthrosis walked so well on it :applause: We arrived quite early so after I had shown Filux the place, I took the opportunity to ride a few rounds and Filux walked and trotted so nicely! So I know that at home when he doesn't want to move in the arena with me on his back, that has probably much to do with the pain he has in his feet because of the bad ground here.

Oh and I forgot one thing: After the theory part, Andreas wanted to drive home with Filux. So we had to load hin into the trailer. After this didn'nt work that well when we started to go there, I had the idea to use the clicker and make a public experiment out of it.... :ieks: Well to make it short, this was not the most triumphant part of the day :blush: My pressure to succeed was definetly to high and I was not confident enough to let us enough time...
So I finally used some pressure and dominance (not much, I think in "normal" eyes this was still very soft but....) and I hope the result was not that the spectators think: Finally it workes only with pressure.... :ieks: Luckily this was not the last thing we did that day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:17 pm 

:applause: I think it looks like it went great! I enjoyed the pics - :ieks: What a beautiful arena!
I'm sure once you get home and practice the loading with the clicker, you'll have it perfect for next clinic. Congrats, I think you did exceptionally well!
Adie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:36 am 

Congratulations from me too! :applause:

It seems you did very well, half your audience wants to start clickering!
And this after just your very first session ever... this is a very good result! :thumleft:

But you're right about the name of the game: better keep on calling it clicker training, especially on loction.
That is what you do anyway and what the people came for.
All the rest they learn from you as groundwork, is only like 'necessary' to show the clickering :smile:
And thus you do not threaten the lady because you are teaching something special...

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:33 pm 

Franziska wrote:

[...]

Oh and I forgot one thing: After the theory part, Andreas wanted to drive home with Filux. So we had to load hin into the trailer. After this didn'nt work that well when we started to go there, I had the idea to use the clicker and make a public experiment out of it.... :ieks: Well to make it short, this was not the most triumphant part of the day :blush: My pressure to succeed was definetly to high and I was not confident enough to let us enough time...
So I finally used some pressure and dominance (not much, I think in "normal" eyes this was still very soft but....) and I hope the result was not that the spectators think: Finally it workes only with pressure.... :ieks: Luckily this was not the last thing we did that day.

Wonderful your clinic on CT went so well.

As for the end problem, it's probably not a problem at all.

While I do work with some difficult horses and introduce them to CT and I would rather take all the time it takes to stay away from pressure as part of our interaction I recognize that sometimes the horse comes with more baggage from former experience than CT alone will do with only Positive Reward.

Your spectators more than likely would think, as you put a bit of pressure on that "Finally it works too with some pressure."

Not the highest goal you wish to attain, but far away from where they may have been before, with pressure having to be an ingredient. At least they could see that you included CT and Pos. Reward. A huge change in consciousness for any that were strictly pressure/release people in the sense of using the more common method of Negative Reward for training.

You can be assured you made an impact, and important one. If nothing else that the trainer/handler (you) is versatile and has choices.

I wish I could have taken your clinic.

Though I am becoming proficient with CT over the past two years I've used it almost exclusively I am always looking for more ways to increase my repertoire and skill with it.

Bonnie loves the positive reward system and will often work very hard to get us to click ... and treat. She does well, but I could do better, I'm sure.

Donald

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:52 am 

Hi Donald, thanks a lot for that point of view!!! This is the great thing about this forum: That you get another way of seeing things, a new perspective and that prevents you from beeing stuck and helps moving on to new insights!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:51 am 

It's brilliant! Well done you!
I also thought about doing something similar in my area and have been asked by a few people who I have allowed to watch me work, but I am too worried about putting myself out there for criticism. It seems easier and less stressful to just keep my ideas and play to myself!
So I guess what I am saying is that it takes courage to put yourself out there and you are a braver woman than I!!!!

I am sure they are going to want to come back for part two.

Morgan did exactly the same thing coming home from Sandy. He was soo well behaved throughout and then decided he didn't want to get in the box. The first time EVER he had not just walked in. Guess he liked it there!!! :funny: I too had to resort to a little pressure (person waving hands behind) but he got treated when he got in!!!
Maybe Filux hadn't finished looking cool in front of his audience!!!!!!

I wish we could all come.......and be your AND support groupies..... :applause:

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:38 am 
Site Admin

That looks fantastic Franziska!

Don't worry about the thing with the trailer, the ones your worry about probably percieve what you percieve as pressure, not at all as pressure.

People often think that I am scared of horses because I do not do anything and just wait at a distance from them ha ha ! Well I do all sorts of nothing, but I indeed wait for the horse to initiate ha ha ! So don't worry, really :)