The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:49 pm 

I was always explained that the weight on the seat-bones should be equal at all times. But... that due to the fact that one side of the ribcage is higher then the other, that the seat-bones should not always be vertically/horizontally equal...

Don't know just yet... but if the weight on the seat-bones is not equal, doesn't that mean that your weight is unequally divided over the horse? which means your horse is working to keep your weight in balance on his back?

Okey... I don't know... but am curious...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:02 pm 

Hmmm.

I can't really answer you, but I will tell you what helped me a LOT.

There's a Classical Dressage trainer named Sylvia Loch, and she said to carefully do it yourself so you can feel what muscles are going to need to activate and move, and then to apply that to the different shape a horse's body has.

So, start by standing with your legs apart, your knees bent, your hips slightly cocked, everything set up as if you were sitting on the horse. :funny: Be warned - the first few times I tried this I fell on my butt (or nose) :funny:

Now, picture in your head exactly HOW you want the horse to move. If you want the horse to do a collected halt-to-walk transition, then you have to keep your hips cocked (like the horse needs a rotated pelvis to be collected) and you need to find out what muscles in your body need to do what in what sequence to allow you to SMOOTHLY step forward while keeping your balance AND so that you can maintain the hip position you want. :ieks: :yes: :twisted: This is where I spent a lot of time falling over. :funny:

Anyhow, I learned that most of the time I needed to activate my belly and/or back muscles BEFORE I even thought of moving a leg, and that I needed to place my weight/center-of-gravity very precisely BEFORE I moved a leg, and that most of the time I shouldn't have more weight on one seat-bone, but my center-of-gravity is what should move ever-so-slightly. Oh boy, it was hard to learn how to do that :roll: BUT once I got it clear in my head I started trying to use it on Freckle's back and WHEN I can get it right it works very well. :funny: When I get it wrong he just flicks his ear at me or stops dead and gives me a dirty look over his shoulder :funny:

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:17 pm 

Josepha wrote:
Indeed, I teach everyone to open the inside rein by taking it forward and lifting the inside hand. That automatically prevents the rider from hanging to the inside :)

I do the same! And I teach that the rider must rotate the hand slightly out in the direction of the turn. But I was taught the opposite during my time riding in Europe and over here instructors also teach a low and tight inside rein.