The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:21 pm 

Quote:
Are you putting a pad or anything between you and him when you sit on him?

Hi Donald,
Is Magik considered a GREEN horse??? OH MY GOD!! I hope he doesn,t decide to have a panic attack ;) No, I completely trust him. I know he wouldn't deliberately buck me off (unless he panics but he doesn't panic easily).
I do use a pad and a Parelli bareback. What's so interesting is that when I ask him to place himself beside the fence, he seems to know I will be getting on and automatically will stand beside the fence. ONly once or twice did he not go and I didn't get on. But I can't seem to make him want to walk. He even fiddles around with the toys I have in the round pen (or the halter I left on the side of the round pen). But like I told him, I have all the time in the world. So, if today he won't walk with me, I will continue asking until he does (a little more every time).

Quote:
Oh Jocelyn....WAY TO GO!!!!!!!

Karen: I so wish I knew all the technical details of exercising a horse and riding. I sure don't want to hurt Magik since I know he has a hip problem. But I imagine if I did ride him and he was in pain, he would make sure I knew (he does show me when something is not right). But the bond is so great between us, I'm sure he's just playing with me (oh yeah, on the ground, he understands the word "walk", so I assume when I'm on his back, he should also understand. Oh well,I'll continue asking and continue reading up.

Thanks for your encouragement. Really helps.

Quote:
Adam says it is not good to use the leg to push, squeeze or kick the horse, and my pony Ben took 8 seconds or less to understand that by taking the leg away he had free space to move into or to turn. Similarly, with a cordeo, without pulling against the neck, just take the rope away from the neck and the horse turns.

Hi Susie:

Small question for you: do you use the leg pressure at all when asking to walk. I do but only touching him. When he moves one step, then I remove the pressure. But does Adam say "no pressure at all". If so, then what does he use to ask the horse to move forward? (This may be a silly question but I'm a beginner in riding and want to do it right the first time). Thanks for your help.
Jocelyne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

horsefever wrote:
Hi Susie:

Small question for you: do you use the leg pressure at all when asking to walk. I do but only touching him. When he moves one step, then I remove the pressure. But does Adam say "no pressure at all". If so, then what does he use to ask the horse to move forward? (This may be a silly question but I'm a beginner in riding and want to do it right the first time). Thanks for your help.

I am not Susie, but maybe this topic will help you: Conditioned vs. unconditioned go cues. Sue´s description is really great and I have been doing a similar thing with all the horses I was riding for at least ten years now - it has always worked so far. :smile:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:40 pm 

Thanks Romy, I just finished reading up on this topic and I now I know what I was doing wrong. I was doing what I've always been taught and that is squeezing (really squeezing) my buttocks and leaning forward. Probably since Magik no longer has a bit and no pressure, he now knows he can react normally.
Next time, I will try slight squeeze of one buttock at a time (which I think will lean the pelvis forward) and no squeeze of the legs at first. Body completely relaxed and the word "walk". Shoulders out and arms holding cordeo slightly in front of me.

Thanks for the info.

P.S. Josepha: when will your dvd and book be ready?????
Jocelyne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:25 am 

We train horse to lead by walking and halting at liberty, rewarding, and always allow a loop in the lead rope when in a head collar , if the horse pulls the rope you either give more rope, change your position or let go. They are allowed to move their own feet and never feel tied or restricted, if they think the option is available to run away if neccessary, there is less reason to actually run away. We do not pull because the horse is stronger and will learn to pull against us. Halt is the back up but from walking forwards there is a pause before backing, at which point you say "that will do thank you", so the horse halts square with weight under, rather than falling forwards on his nose or onto the forehand.
When Adam stands at the side of a horse and places his hand half an inch from the skin, where the foot might be if ridden, then takes his hand away from the horse, it will see this as an open gate and move through to the invitation. So no skin pressure at all.
He teaches clinics in France, Spain, Portugal, and UK, or where requested, his YouTube videos are not really a great indicator of his skill or understanding.
Josepha will be an inspiration for riders because she does understand balance, bio mechanics and classical dressage. Sally Swift helped many a horse have an easier life by making the rider responsible for their own body.
I personally think that if I can blend the styles of Josepha with Adam it will suit my pony.
It depends what you aim for and want to achieve.
With Danny who can go from calm to dynamite if he lacks confidence, his signals are so subtle the first sign of anxiety is usually a shout, he would not tolerate pressure, so I want a calm, safe, very light method of interaction.
My Thoroughbreds were simpler in moving from my body posture and when ridden, happy to allow me seat, legs and hands, this time I have to learn new skills to keep my baby safe, trusting and with me.
Susie xx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:33 pm 

another suggestion for walking... I have spend a lot of time working on getting my energy up and down on the ground and then to transfer it to riding. So I stay relaxed, try not to do anything active with legs or buttocks, only think, I would love to walk, jippie (raising my energy) and we are off. I know it sounds funny, but I had to do that, Beau stops when he feels the pressure of a leg or anything, but he loves playing with our energy...

Wish I could just explain it better, maybe you should come over to Belgium and ride Beau ;)
he can explain things much better than I can!

jep and I have to give a big thanks to Sally Swift too, just reading her books help me let loose in my body more...

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

There you go; step 3!

Wanted to say especially for you Karen :funny: but I would be lying. I had a fair amount of pm's asking me to continue. It is not that I do not want to write but I really had only time left at night and for some strange reason, I always want to sleep then :funny:
Blissful winter has granted me time to write a bit as lessons were cancelled because of a thick fog :green:

Now dirty stables await still :sad:

love,

Josepha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:25 pm 

Thank you thank you thank you :D

*goes to read and reread*

I know these subjects have often been discussed on this board in various places but having all of this right here as a "plan" especially for us AND "beginners" is a life saver! :f:

Although - about the hips in line with the horses hips. Are you saying we should pretty much just let our hips follow the horse without even thinking about it? That's what mine seem to want to do naturally.
I was always taught to turn my hips inwards with the horses shoulders. (but my body fights it often) Do you think it will be a problem for Diego to adjust to me changing my mind and my hip placement now?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Good one Colinde! Guess I should have said: place your hips where you want your horse's hips to be and your shoulders where you want your horse's shoulders to be.

Would that make it more clear?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 pm 

It might, although I didn't find it unclear. :) I'm just sitting here imagining the "feel" of riding him bareback down the arena and how my hips move. They really DO go with his own hips naturally - which I never noticed before.
I often get too caught up in thinking about my body and when I get on him that turns into "trying" and when I "try" my seat, pelvis, legs - everything always freeze up. So I ride the movement "frozen" and "on top of" him, instead of with him. Ick.

Your advice to feel instead of over thinking has really helped. If it were not for that I would not have been loose enough to allow my hips to turn with his in these movements. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Great :)

It also really helps, in case of the lateral, to walk them yourself on a track or a long a wall... although people might think you are in need of certain medicine :funny:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:10 pm 

Quote:
There you go; step 3!

Lovely Josepha!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :kiss:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Karen :)

At the risk of having to work till night again I've added Ramener under Step 1 :)

Will try to work on transitions this week, okay?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:37 pm 

If all this means that one day you are closer to having a book, then I will certainly help encourage you in every way I can. This is all presented so simply and easy to understand. Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:38 pm 

:D Goodie! Especially since we have been working more in transitions lately!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

@Karen, but to late for you ey? :blush: :funny: you can now write it yourself ha ha !

@ Colinde... yay! keep it up, you make me wanna work on!
And please point out to ya'lls diaries if you try my 'programme' I'd love to know :)
Well it is not my proggramme of course, it's just 17 and 18 centuries basic gymasium adjusted to our needs today 8) in my view that is...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next